Firk you Activision, firk you. Sincerely - Gamers

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
So....

You gunna be mad when Modern Warfare 3 ends up selling 50 million copies on launch day and becomes the most successful game in history...again?

Time to lose faith in humanity.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mhm.... and this isn't a rant how? Putting it in fancy words and metaphors doesn't stop it from being bitching.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
wow, you obviously don't know how the world works, the majority of COD fans, like this one a year release schedule it provides us a constant stream on new entertainment and stories. No company hates their customers, in fact Activision loves their customers, which is why they keep releasing games that people like and buy and play.

What if food companies threw out their old flavors for new ones?? What if manufacturers of electronic equipment outright stopped producing parts for their older models?
You mean like Mountain Dew or Burger King? Every electronics company ever? I don't see anything valid in your rant

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
As true as it is... it reads like a rant. And like Cronq said, someone's gonna be pissed when MW3 becomes the new biggest seller.

artanis_neravar said:
No company hates their customers, in fact Activision loves their customers, which is why they keep releasing games that people like and buy and play.
It's more along the lines of they love their customers' money; as every company does. Unless you're a small time developer your primary concern will be how many people buy it and then whether they liked it or not.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
crepesack said:
This isn't a rant.
It was a rant all right, you just tried to hide the fact through needless hyperbole.

Look, I don't like Activision either, but it's normal for game companies to stop supporting older titles. LucasArts didn't care when the Zone dropped Jedi Knight from its multiplayer list seven years after it was released. Bungie didn't contest the issue when Microsoft axed the original Xbox Live and took down the Halo 2 servers in the process.

Like it or not, older multiplayer titles will eventually fall by the wayside because it becomes too costly for the developer to continue supporting every game it makes for all eternity.

Also, I can't help but feel that you shot yourself in the foot by calling CoD players "naive children" and "mindless food corpses." If you're trying to garner support for a cause, insulting your intended audience isn't a good idea.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
And how do you expect them to make the money that they would need to continue supporting CoD? And how much would you ***** and moan if they made you pay for that support?

If it reads like a rant, looks like a rant, and sounds like a rant, then it's a rant. And no amount of claiming that it's not doesn't change that. Though, I'm not certain that this isn't an attempt at trolling.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Azure-Supernova said:
As true as it is... it reads like a rant. And like Cronq said, someone's gonna be pissed when MW3 becomes the new biggest seller.

artanis_neravar said:
No company hates their customers, in fact Activision loves their customers, which is why they keep releasing games that people like and buy and play.
It's more along the lines of they love their customers' money; as every company does. Unless you're a small time developer your primary concern will be how many people buy it and then whether they liked it or not.
Not really, yes they like money but because customers' money relies on the customer being happy, an unhappy customer is more likely not to come back and is much more likely to voice their disappointment. I know I've worked with some major companies, and each one has been extremely concerned with any problem the customer has had with their product.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
So... Capitalist Pig publisher is bad for wanting money out of their IP they put effort into and no series should ever exceed, say, 3 installments? I think there is a certain OP who needs to experience the uncomfortable act he wishes upon said Capitalist Pigs.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Azure-Supernova said:

artanis_neravar said:
Not really, yes they like money but because customers' money relies on the customer being happy, an unhappy customer is more likely not to come back and is much more likely to voice their disappointment. I know I've worked with some major companies, and each one has been extremely concerned with any problem the customer has had with their product.
Because companies don't get money from products that customers don't like: Logic. Companies sell products that consumers like because they want to make money.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
almostgold said:
But you don't have to play the new COD titles, so why does it matter?
Simply because the old ones are now unplayable. I've played the cod4 campaign maybe 5-6 times.

Also I'm not really sure why people are saying activision "cares" for its customers. Does a caring company completely ignore its core fanbase when they request some glitch to be patched? Does a caring company simply piss on any improvements in their older games by releasing a new one before the old one was even fully polished?

Someone mentioned that they're keeping their fan base happy by releasing a new title annually. This is the exact naivete I'm directing my argument at. We shouldn't settle for more when the old stuff isn't up to snuff. Additionally I was referring to kids LITERALLY. It's no doubt that the key demographic for call of duty's seasonal return is the ages 12-15. Not the age group the game is "rated" for. Activision has purposefully targeted this fan base because:

#1 A strong sense of conformity "I get this game you get it too we play online together *guffaw*"
#2 An age where money is disposable and easily obtained from parents
#3 An age where they can actually play the game
#4 Too young to articulate complaints if an issue occurs.

On top of that. My analogies DO hold true. Mountain dew doesn't get rid of its old recipe because it comes out with a new flavor. McDonalds doesn't get rid of the big mac because of a new double quarter pounder or some other slop that comes out.

Games should be replayable. I don't want to settle for less.

And NO I haven't bought a CoD game since MW2 and I don't plan on it ever again. But I do believe that getting my voice heard might actually help change this growing trend of douchebagging.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Azure-Supernova said:
artanis_neravar said:
Azure-Supernova said:

artanis_neravar said:
Because companies don't get money from products that customers don't like: Logic. Companies sell products that consumers like because they want to make money.
Exactly? not really sure what you are getting at here. But if it's what I think it is I would like to point out that liking money and liking your customers are not mutually exclusive

vato_loco

May 24, 2010
It all comes down to: if you don't like it, don't buy it. I haven't bought a CoD game ever since the first Modern Warfare, because the other ones pissed on the single player campaing and made it absurdly short. So I don't buy those games.

If more people stopped to think for a second that nobody has an obligation to get the latest game every single time, then CoD wouldn't sell a ridiculous amount of games.

I learned that the hard way with Final Fantasy XIII...

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Nieroshai said:
So... Capitalist Pig publisher is bad for wanting money out of their IP they put effort into and no series should ever exceed, say, 3 installments? I think there is a certain OP who needs to experience the uncomfortable act he wishes upon said Capitalist Pigs.
No not at all. I suggest that they stop just discarding their old accomplishments in exchange for quick profits. I don't care if CoD goes on to Call of Dutt 67: Master Chief vs. Captain Price. I just want them to at least keep their games going on beyond 6 years. Look at CS! They have a thriving community that's been going and going and going and hasn't gone to crap. There's no reason this couldn't be done. I mean there are so few games of CoD4 that actually still go on it'd just be a matter of getting on an admin account and doing a few bans every week. No more than 1-2 hours tops. AND YET nothing happens.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
vato_loco said:
It all comes down to: if you don't like it, don't buy it. I haven't bought a CoD game ever since the first Modern Warfare, because the other ones pissed on the single player campaing and made it absurdly short. So I don't buy those games.

If more people stopped to think for a second that nobody has an obligation to get the latest game every single time, then CoD wouldn't sell a ridiculous amount of games.

I learned that the hard way with Final Fantasy XIII...

Again. I have NOT bought any cod games since MW2 and never plan on it. Ever. They've lost this customer.

And yes FFXIII was a POS.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Well THANK THE LORD that there's more developers than Activision.

Try supporting your indies for a change. That'll send a more effective message.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
crepesack said:
Also I'm not really sure why people are saying activision "cares" for its customers. Does a caring company completely ignore its core fanbase when they request some glitch to be patched? Does a caring company simply piss on any improvements in their older games by releasing a new one before the old one was even fully polished?
You obviously don't understand programing, fixing an issue can take a lot of work and time and most people do want a new better game then just having the old one constantly fixed up. Activision cares for it's customers who exercise their speech by spending their money in a way that lets them know what they want. Millions of people buy the new Call of Duty you know what that means? Millions of people want the new Call of Duty.

Someone mentioned that they're keeping their fan base happy by releasing a new title annually. This is the exact naivete I'm directing my argument at. We shouldn't settle for more when the old stuff isn't up to snuff. Additionally I was referring to kids LITERALLY. It's no doubt that the key demographic for call of duty's seasonal return is the ages 12-15. Not the age group the game is "rated" for.
Why should we have to wait for the old stuff to be fixed when the new stuff is better in the first place?

On top of that. My analogies DO hold true. Mountain dew doesn't get rid of its old recipe because it comes out with a new flavor. McDonalds doesn't get rid of the big mac because of a new double quarter pounder or some other slop that comes out.
Lets see, Pitch Black 2, Gamer Fuel, Typhoon, Distortion just to name a few. Burger King removed the Loaded Steakhouse Burger, and the Cheesy Tots. Companies discontinue products, it's how life works.

Games should be replayable. I don't want to settle for less.
Every game is replayable, in fact I have never played a game that is not replayable

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Actiwho? I think you mean Ubisoft, I mean they killed Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, and Splinter Cell, and now they are letting Gearbox destroy Brothers in Arms. I mean they actually put someone who is on the record as saying he hated the Splinter Cell games in charge of Conviction. I'm not even going to start on their DRM. Activision have a lot of catching up to do if they are going to catch up with Ubisoft.

Oh and Ubisoft don't hate their customers they just don't care a tinker's cuss about them and want someone else's customers more.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Didn't they say at E3 that they were going to release patches for MW2 after all? Or at least I heard such rumours but don't quote me on that.

Either way, I don't see how this is any worse than the annual Madden or FIFA games which are often just roster updates over the previous year's game. I'd dare say you're getting more value for your money too.

And you can always wait for the latest CoD to go cheap or be part of a sale on Steam. That's what I did, I bought MW2 a few weeks ago when it was cheap and I'm enjoying the multiplayer now. The single player's all sorts of "meh" though, but hey, at least I got to witness the insanity of the RAMIREZ meme first hand.

coconut_buyer

Nov 21, 2009
It's rants like these that give gamers a bad name. Honestly, "Frik you"? If your not going to swear don't swear at all.