First Day of ME2 - Expectations met?

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
LordCuthberton said:
[sub]So you two know I am in no way insulting the series, I have no feelings for/against it.[/sub]
Didn't think you were insulting it at all.

All I meant was I felt you had taken one post, which still said they thought the game was awesome, and insinuated that us ME fan boys were raging with disappointment. I felt like it was akin to taking the hot dog eating prowess of Takeru Kobayashi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takeru_Kobayashi] and applying it to the Japanese race as a whole.

As it stands... There are 3 negative posts you pointed out. Which still doesn't really imply fanboy disappoint rage. Sure it has it's flaws -- but any realistic person was expecting it to fall short somewhere along the way.

LordCuthberton said:
I simply said that the fanbase is breaking, as in people are taking different sides over whether the sequel is better than the original.
I'd also like to see where this comes from. The three posts you highlighted? Out of the two pages of discussion posted, where nearly 100% of the participants preface their comments with, "ME2 is tits, but I have these nitpicky and specific grievances."

My post is the 61st in the discussion.

3/61 = 0.0491803279

4.92% of those who posted are "taking a different side over whether the sequel is better than the original." By almost any statistician's, pollster's, or scientist's definition, 4.92% represents a statistically insignificant portion of the discussion.

A 95.08% / 4.92% split hardly constitutes a "break" in the fan base.

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
I love ME2 in almost every way, the characters, story, environments and the lack of copy-paste side missions but I am confused about how to get new weapons so that is one small minus, overall 9.8/10.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
I'm loving it so far, I think it's great (But of course, the key phrase there is "So Far"

The only thing I don't like so far is the loading screens, I think I actually prefered watching lifts. At least then I had an excuse to start humming Aerosmith.

However, there is one factor that means alot to me:
Martin Sheen!. The man is awesome.

Redem

Dec 21, 2009
The only complain I have about the bullet system is that I can no longer shoot everything the room for shit and giggle

Jolan_BG

Mar 17, 2009
Oh, I forgot to add one thing - for a game with such a massive codex,
why did we learn nothing at all about the Illusory Man? I mean, the guy has green sharingan eyes, that increased my interest in him, yet I learned nothing about him. What gives, Bioware?

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
Xzi said:
TheLastCylon said:
Spectrum_Prez said:
TheLastCylon said:
The only thing I don't like about the game is you can't put your gun away or take it out as you please.
In combat areas, you can. The default is "H" for holster, although I remapped that to "q" asap.
Playing on 360, but if there is a holster option for PC, there might be one for the 360.
It's the back button.
Ah, many thanks, my friend.

Ricotez

Jan 17, 2010
The only con I can think of now is that the system requirements are too high. 1.8 GHz dual-core, and I only have a 2.1 GHz single-core, which means I cannot play ME2 after playing through the entire first game and anticipating the sequel for quite some time.

Well, that's not a con, really. ME2 came out more than a year after ME, so it's only natural the system reqs increased. But still I feel bad about not being able to play it for anytime soon, at least until I saved enough money for a new rig. That could take awhile...

Imagine the second part in a trilogy of books of which you really liked the first part finally comes out, but is in a language you cannot read. That's how I feel right now.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
So far, Mass Effect 2 has both met and missed my expectations. (Which may be why I think I like ME1 better overall. ME2 just seems to lack the amount of customization ME1 offered, even though I think ME2 technically offers more.)

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
I like it but I have to wonder why they meddled so much with the controls on the PC. I am really used to the ME1 controls and these MAss Effect 2 controls take some getting used to. And it really doesn't seem to be any better or worse than the last. I mean why change the quick save button from F6 to F5?

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I got it for the PC, because I got the last game for my 360 and I ended up not being able to read a lot of the codex because my TV is pretty old.

That being said ME2 has exceeded my expectations thus far. I love how the combat has been tweeked; being a sniper now is actually feasible.

during the first mission when you run out into the space and everything goes silent blew me away. that's when I knew this game was an improvement, because I remember not being awed on ME1 first mission I just stood there looking around enjoying the momentary peace.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
LordCuthberton said:
Also, I admire your etiquette and manner during this whole debate. Well done.
I never meant to attack anyone at all, and I hope I didn't come off that way.
I just didn't like your statement, because I didn't like your reasoning(as I understood it).
But I never was angry or anything.

And to be completely fair, seeing as how 4.92% ~~ 5%, which is a statistically significant portion of people, I could never claim that everyone was completely happy with the game, and I see your point that there does exist a difference of opinion.

So cheers!

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Poomanchu745 said:
I mean why change the quick save button from F6 to F5?
Because F5 is much more common as the quick save button than F6. Plus, when you reach for a quick save your fingers automatically know to go to the first button from the second row.

As for the other button changes... I dunno. Maybe it's more practical than before?

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
two days in and I'm pretty well in love with this game.

Planet scanning aside. Man, that is boring shit.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
loving every minute of it. my worries about the character not being as awesome as the originals were quickly debunked. Characters having their own sidemissions (unlocked by chatting them up and such) are pretty awesome, and really give them depth. Unlike the first game, I really can't pick just two to go with throughout the whole game. Thane, Grunt, Tali, Garrus, Samara, Mordin, Legion, the humans...all awesome. Thane is still #1 just because of his awesome voice effect. I went infiltrator, and I must say, I'm glad the snipers aren't useless anymore. great game, can't wait for my second playthrough.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Jannycats said:
Poomanchu745 said:
I mean why change the quick save button from F6 to F5?
Because F5 is much more common as the quick save button than F6. Plus, when you reach for a quick save your fingers automatically know to go to the first button from the second row.

As for the other button changes... I dunno. Maybe it's more practical than before?
That's not necessarily true. I bind quicksave to F6 in almost all of my games. This is because F6 was the default quicksave button in many games I've played that required quicksaving, and the F5 button is often used for screenshots.

So there was no real reason for the button changes. I thought there was at first, but I haven't found one. It just seems random. Of course now that I've gotten used to it I'm not going to bother remapping the controls. It's just as functional.

Hiphophippo said:
Planet scanning aside. Man, that is boring shit.
But it doesn't take as long as Mako driving stages, so I'm willing to let it slide.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I've loved it far too much to be healthy. I've clocked over 24 hours already (and even went to classes... most of them) and I'm pretty sure I am close to the end of the game (all party members loyal and fully upgraded the Normandy). Now I just need to run to the gas station so I can pick up the Black Ops Ninja helmet from the Dr. Pepper promotion for my Shepard.

Edit: In a lot of ways this game is far more self aware by including tons of humorous nods, references and just silly dialogue that its predecessor lacked in quantity and quality. I have literally LOLed on numerous occasions. And the expression on Shepard's face when Garrus tells Shep about his sexcapade was fucking priceless.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Fappy said:
I've loved it far too much to be healthy. I've clocked over 24 hours already (and even went to classes... most of them) and I'm pretty sure I am close to the end of the game (all party members loyal and fully upgraded the Normandy). Now I just need to run to the gas station so I can pick up the Black Ops Ninja helmet from the Dr. Pepper promotion for my Shepard.

Edit: In a lot of ways this game is far more self aware by including tons of humorous nods, references and just silly dialogue that its predecessor lacked in quantity and quality. I have literally LOLed on numerous occasions. And the expression on Shepard's face when Garrus tells Shep about his sexcapade was fucking priceless.
Never heard anything about a Dr. P Ninja helmet. Elaborate please?

And yeah, I noticed a few funny nods as well, like the guy in the wards who is still trying to get a refund to being able to buy the Mass Effect books in-game, but they're the cheapest things in the whole Mass Effect universe. (yes I bought them, but I have no idea what I can do w/ them or where I can find them along w/ a few other magazines/books/etc.)

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
It is absolutely amazing. I played it for the past 7 hours (since I was sick anyways) and loved every second of it.