First Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Details Leaked

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
EvolutionKills said:
ReiverCorrupter said:
It actually wouldn't take that much to do; just an afternoon or two in the studio with a motion capture camera. They have to do that anyway. The only rule I would keep in mind is to keep the sequence fluid and under a second in length; any longer than that and the player will be frustrated by the character's unresponsiveness.

Trust me, it would take much longer than that. Maybe if you had everything and everybody ready to go, you could bang out all of your mo-cap sessions for your finishing moves, but it takes a lot more than that to get them in game.

Ultimately, they just have to be careful to not let their ambitions cause them to over-reach their abilities. I'd love to have a TON of uniques finisher moves, and I'm sure there will be quite a few (they where in Arkane Studio's 'Dark Messiah', and they where awesome back then too). But time and money always put limits on your production (unless you're 3D Realms), and rarely are things ever quick and easy. The amount of work to get anything into a game, and polished to a level worthy of a retail release, is always an undertaking.
Yeah, in retrospect you're right, it would take quite a bit more effort. I wish I could see the Game Informer issue, they've got all the details locked up. They're releasing stuff piece by piece over the next month or so, so I'll just have to keep an eye open.

It doesn't have to be finisher moves, but that's one of the features they're putting in for sure. Just as long as the combat is more dynamic I'll be happy. I always liked the magic better, and hopefully there will be more interesting spells, and hopefully some physics effects. It would be nice to see someone catch on fire and run around from a fire spell, or get encased in a block of ice by an ice spell, and to ark lightning through multiple enemies by holding down the bumper. There's no question whether all of that will work from a 1st person perspective. Though of course those kind of effects would take a LOT of programming; much more than the motion capture finishers. I don't know too much about programming, but that kind of stuff seems like the kind of thing that needs to come with the engine.

Cool_Pat

Aug 11, 2008
I always made a custom class anyway - none of the pre designed ones matched how i wanted to play, in fact most seemed designed to lumber me with totally unnecessary skills. I just wish that they would bring back the fly spell thats what i missed most from morrowind when i played oblivion

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
The Random One said:
Well, it's Bethesda, so we know what to expect: tons of amazing new bugs.
While they are using a new engine, you're probably right. I just hope these bugs are more of the 'unintentionally hilarious' variety.

whaleswiththumbs said:
So people complain of Fallout 3 being like Oblivion repainted. I say Skyrim is Fallout 3 repainted. Badly
Skyrim is set in a heroic fantasy land. Fallout 3 is set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Skyrim features swords, battle axes, dragons and magic. Fallout 3 has guns, explosives and mutants.

Most importantly, Fallout 3 runs on the Gamebyro engine. Skyrim does not. You fail logic forever. At least try to make sense.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
I liked Morrowing, but was kind of unimpressed with Oblivion.
So here's to it turning out awesome.

The fallout experience probably did something good for them.

Livianicen

Nov 3, 2008
Maybe it makes me vain, or strange, but the two things I want most are a really fleshed out Dark Brotherhood-esque guild, and a really, really fleshed out system of thievery + Thieves Guild. I really like the idea of secret cults of high-profile assassination masters, who steal your slippers on the way back from a job. And then sell them for outrageous prices because there's a mysterious slippers shortage after all the vendors died and the supply was...lost.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Super Toast said:
The Random One said:
Well, it's Bethesda, so we know what to expect: tons of amazing new bugs.
While they are using a new engine, you're probably right. I just hope these bugs are more of the 'unintentionally hilarious' variety.

whaleswiththumbs said:
So people complain of Fallout 3 being like Oblivion repainted. I say Skyrim is Fallout 3 repainted. Badly
Skyrim is set in a heroic fantasy land. Fallout 3 is set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Skyrim features swords, battle axes, dragons and magic. Fallout 3 has guns, explosives and mutants.

Most importantly, Fallout 3 runs on the Gamebyro engine. Skyrim does not. You fail logic forever. At least try to make sense.
I have to congratulate you on missing the point.. Yes, you are right, Skyrim is fantasy, Fallout is post-apocalypse. But if you will kindly look up the arguement i mentioned(Fallout 3 being a repainting of Oblivion) You will see what i am talking about. Next time come prepared with more information than some frivilous information about what engine the two games are running. Or better yet, don't come back at all.

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
If anyone wants new info about this game, they can find it here:

http://www.vg247.com/2011/01/08/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-details-outed-on-combat-leveling-races-more/

There are some significant changes there.

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
Ok, I'll play. Come 11/11/11 I will AT LEAST rent this game. If I find it to be the embodiment of everything I have ever wanted (Elder Scrolls with time travel and World manipulation) I will buy it... and three more copies. If it does not have aforementioned features but is still really good I will buy one copy... maybe used.

(Time travel is fun)