First Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta Screens Released

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
MrPop said:
The characters from Earth's history sounds like an interesting concept.
I say that at least Amilia Airheart and Elvis will come along.
Cajt said:
Was hoping for something more Asgard-ish.
Come on, it's Fallout, did you honestly expect anything else than this in the style of those cheesy, 50's sci fi comics?

Anyway, as said, the crashsite was a nice easter-egg, but I think that this DLC is taking it too far. I'm still interested to see how this is working out. That said, by the way, I haven't bought a single DLC yet. Not one, not even Broken Steel.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Am I the only one who thinks this looks incredibly stupid? As an easter egg it was chuckle worthy. But seriously integrating it into the canon? Fallout is very down to earth and grim. It's humor was dark or tounge-in-cheek. But this...Doesn't really seem to fit the world we've been shown at all. It's not a space opera, it's about a post-apoc world.

Simply put, I won't be buying this. And I think Beth made a mistake deciding to make this.
If I could sum up; Mutant bugs, ok, ray guns, fine, power suits and giant robots, neat! Aliens, WTH?

To talk about Liberty Prime with a straight face would probably invite a whole lot of ridicule, but giant robots - like giant insects and yes creatures from outer space - are very much a part of the cinematic inspirations for this sort of game.

For aliens to have been in fallout 1 or 2, I might have agreed, it'd be a little early. But as a DLC, a footnote, to a game with relatively space-age tech, sounds like something they might just pull off, and who knows what dark tongue-in-cheek humour will be employed? So I say give it a chance..

MasterSqueak

May 10, 2009
Conveant0 said:
Plus there could be a few funny mod possibilities on the computer made more possible with this.
Oh yes.

One could probably use the things in this DLC to make something uncontrollably awesome, like a personal mini-spacestation/house. In space.

barryween

Apr 17, 2008
That sounds like it is made of AWESOME!
I'm alittle worried, it seems like they are scrapping the bucket for ideas, but yeah, it sounds cool.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
You know, I used to feel the same way. I didn't think a full-fledged alien DLC fit in with the Fallout world. But Bethesda has done a good job fleshing out the Fallout world in their own way, so I have confidence in them.

Also, when they say historical figures, for some reason I think they mean Abraham Lincoln.
Of course not Abe Lincoln, It'll be Wayne Gretski, they have Samurai Armor. [fifty attacks on The 4chan if you get the reference.]

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
Am I the only one who thinks this looks incredibly stupid? As an easter egg it was chuckle worthy. But seriously integrating it into the canon? Fallout is very down to earth and grim. It's humor was dark or tounge-in-cheek. But this...Doesn't really seem to fit the world we've been shown at all. It's not a space opera, it's about a post-apoc world.

Simply put, I won't be buying this. And I think Beth made a mistake deciding to make this.

I agree I think they saw the success of Shivering Isles and wanted to create a Fallout 3 equiv yet have gone about it a completely stupid way.

If they wanted something outlandish they could have easily created another simulator plotline or something that doesn't destroy the grit of Fallout.

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
This looks pretty cool, and it's an original idea (at least, I can't think of any other video game plot about being abducted by aliens off the top of my head.)
dashiz94 said:
Interesting direction with this, although I may be hesitant considering that it may drop the whole, "post-apocalyptic" feel to it.
Just because Earth has gone kaboom doesn't mean that the aliens have to suffer, too.

You got something agianst aliens? My best friend is an alien! I think. Or not. Wait...

kboman

Mar 13, 2008
Thanks for the answers on microsoft points, I've checked it out. I haven't even finished F3 yet due to Reasons, but I'll probably hack my way through the expansions too in the next year or so. Looks fun... :)

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
While the aliens themselves don't seem too out there (Fallout has been hinting at it for years now) the part about fighting along with people from earths past...I'm not so sure. I'm guessing this may mean some sort of time travel, which would be really weird for the fallout world in my books, way weirder than 1950s aliens.

But, it could just mean they've found DNA of historical figures, and cloning has already been established. Or could be a complete red herring, maybe they've recovered weapons and armour from olden times (I mean there's samuria armour...which also sounds odd)

I don't know, the aliens still sound cool.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Whenever a bethesda thread come along, you know I someone must say

TES V!!!!!!!!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRR

sorry, somebody has to be that guy

Mithander

Sep 21, 2008
This is some what... intriguing... This either has the potential to break the thin sheet of reality that the FO series has always played with for so long. It thrived on the "this could have actually happened given certain circumstances." But instead of going for the alternate history root Beth. seems to be banking hard into the sci-fi aspects of the series. I believe Point Lookout was an excellent addition to the canon of the game, with the reintroduction of tribals and showing the realistic idea of not everything having to look like the wastelands (cause in a real situation it wouldn't.) But aliens? Really? That's kinda pushing it. The previous things that concerned the sci-fi themes of FO were done in complete humorous brevity and were not meant to be part of the feel of the game, just something to make you giggle after a very dirty situation (see whale from FO2 hehehe). But they were only to do just that. Sure they hint things in the game, but to extend something from a joke to a full $10 add-on? That seems to push the envelope a little to far. If executed well, in a dark humorous fashion that is, and doesn't take itself seriously, this could be a fantastic add-on, but if they try to change any of the lore and rewrite any parts of the history this will destroy my hopes about Beth. not being ridiculous.
Peace out.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Mithander said:
This is some what... intriguing... This either has the potential to break the thin sheet of reality that the FO series has always played with for so long. It thrived on the "this could have actually happened given certain circumstances."
People keep saying that... do they actually, honestly believe this? I mean, the series is laden with impossible stuff based on '50s B-movies. Mr. Handy, for instance, is completely infeasible and he's been in the series since the very first trailer. Psi-guns? Giant insects? Plutonium-fueled cars? Super mutants?

No, I don't see "Zeta" being out of line just for its premise. Maybe its execution will be a little off, as the "Anchorage" DLC was, but I don't see anything wrong with the concept itself and I think it might be a hoot.

-- Steve

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
It seems like there might be a possibility it could be fun. The only thing is that it seems a bit far off from the regular in Fallout 3, since the game has been mostly about the world after a nuclear war (I say mostly because of Anchorage).
Although the whole thing will probably be entertaining, I still think it seems like it should be for a different game.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
MasterSqueak said:
Conveant0 said:
Plus there could be a few funny mod possibilities on the computer made more possible with this.
Oh yes.

One could probably use the things in this DLC to make something uncontrollably awesome, like a personal mini-spacestation/house. In space.
Plus anybody who wants to make a Van Buren mod would have an easier time of it.

Personally I can't wait for this because I always did kind of want someone to take the aliens idea in Fallout and expand upon it, even a bit, just because of the B-movie charm of 1950s sci-fi films that dealt with aliens. Maybe this will be too much but I don't think it will be. I mean if you sorta have aliens in your universe, and your universe comprises of a blasted hellhole of a planet, who's not to say a bunch of aliens took a look at it and thought "hey, free retail space" or whatever their plan is

rohit9891

Jan 21, 2009
Ok...this is one of the biggest diversions I've seen a DLC bringing to a game.
It's changing the whole post-nuclear setting into a totally different one...I hope Beth still keeps the RPG settings as rich as the original.