First Look at Lex Luthor from Batman v Superman

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
First Look at Lex Luthor from Batman v Superman

The Good, The Bad, and The Bald.

Today we get to add one piece of big, bald intel to the sporadic snippets of information we've received about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice so far: a first gander at Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. Entertainment Weekly's exclusive look at Eisenberg's Luthor depicted the notable villain in a black and white headshot; an intriguing way to feature the billionaire-by-day, villain-by-night.

Zack Snyder, Director of Batman v Superman, said that Eisenberg's depiction of Luthor is "not like any of the Lexes that you've seen, that's for sure, other than him being a captain of industry and one person to the world and another person to himself. And bald, of course."

Snyder continues with his ominous tone by casually stating that Eisenberg's Luthor "says what he believes and says what's on his mind. If you can unravel the string and decipher what he means, it's all there."

Judging by Eisenberg's look of cold determination in this photo and the portrayals of his previous roles, including The Social Network, I feel confident that Eisenberg will be able to depict those megalomaniacal tendencies Luthor is known for.

How do you feel about Eisenberg's upcoming portrayal of such a famous villain?

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://www.themarysue.com/first-look-jessie-eisenberg-lex-luthor/]

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
I have a feeling that I've seen something like that before...
Looks like an "edgy" generic rapist...

And with the black and white picture, it kinda reminds me of that first Sin City movie.
Nothing too bad, just bland.

Sep 24, 2008
OOOH! it's time for my geek nitpick of the day!

He got the eyes right, but I can see the just-popping-out-of-the-epidermis follicles. It tells me his head was shaved, not that he's bald. It's off putting to my Geek purity.

Apr 17, 2009
...just looks like Jesse Eisenberg. There's nothing about it that really screams "Lex Luthor". Maybe if we could see the rest of him and he was in a suit (power or business, either's good) then there'd be something, but at the moment its really just like Eisenberg's taken a selfie after trying out a new look

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
ObsidianJones said:
I can see the just-popping-out-of-the-epidermis follicles. It tells me his head was shaved, not that he's bald.
Which is a problem.
Usually people shave their heads because of some weird, unsightly baldness, or chemo-therapy or something else which forces them to shave their head.
With him though, it seems this is the way he wanted to look.
He choose this for some reason.
Maybe he thought looking like a skinhead/neo-nazi was the right kind of look for him.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
"Not like any of the Lexes that you've seen..."

THEN WHY EVEN PUT HIM IN THE MOVIE?!

Seriously, what is even the point of using a character's name if you are just going to make your on character anyway?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
JenSeven" post="7.872888.21903681 said:
I have a feeling that I've seen something like that before...
Looks like an "edgy" generic rapist...
/quote]

Speaking of edgy, you can stab someone with that chin

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Some people really pull off having a bald head, look amazing with it.

Jesse Eisenberg? He is not one of those people. Nope, not even remotely.

But at least Eisenberg did prove that he can play a morally questionable capitalist giant in The Social Network. He could pull off a 21st century Silicon Valley Luthor, quite sure of that.
Scars Unseen said:
"Not like any of the Lexes that you've seen..."

THEN WHY EVEN PUT HIM IN THE MOVIE?!

Seriously, what is even the point of using a character's name if you are just going to make your on character anyway?
You shouldn't take that phrase that literally. They want to take Luthor in a new direction, take the 'megalomanic captain of industry' character into the 21st century.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Just looks like a bald Jesse Eisenberg. I like Jesse, but I'm not sure using a well known actor is a good idea for this (Though Bryan Cranston would have been amusing). I don't think I'll ever look at him and think Lex.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I like Jesse as an actor. I don't think he'll make a bad Lex Luthor. I just don't think Zach Snyder can direct any good movies anymore. He is a one trick pony and I am thoroughly unimpressed with him. It's always the same where he seems almost entirely reliant on that lens effect he uses on every movie, but the movies are never very well directed.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Didn't we get a "First Look" like a year ago when Eisenberg posted a picture of himself bald?
I've seen not this exact photo, but at least this headline like three or four times. And he basically looks the same.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
I believe he'd be perfectly fine for the part. If the movie was being shot 10 years from now and he could age into the look. He just looks to young in my opinion to hold the edge he would need. But this is based purely off of a single visual, and his acting and in motion it might look better. Someone mentioned that you can see where he's shaved his head, and I think that might not look so bad if you wasn't focusing right on it.

Have we seen one with him smiling? Glaring isn't really Lex, he fumes, but he's usually collected and calculating. He would sneer at his adversaries, knowing he has the upper hand...

K12

Dec 28, 2012
So a bald Jesse Eisenberg. This is such a non-reveal, didn't we all know he'd look like this already?

All I can see is that he's not wearing a suit and looks kind of like a trust-fund kid attempting to start a rap career. I'm really looking forward to see people tear this movie to pieces when it comes out.

Arpegus

Jan 15, 2011
Having never seen the Social Network, this reveal immediately reminded me of the promotional artwork for that film. They basically just shaved his head and used a filter to drain out the color, same as every other reveal for this film. Is this movie going to be shot in black and white? Because that is the vibe they seem to be going for in every image.

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
Not fully sold on him as Lex Luther. He just looks too young in my opinion. I know Jesse is over 30 now but he just has a face that makes him look like he just hit 20. What also doesn't sell this well, and others have brought it up, he's not wearing a suit, not even a button up shirt. This looks like a mug shot. At least with the Aqua Man reveal he was in an actual costume. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how he actually performs.

theNater

Feb 11, 2011
NoShoes said:
Zack Snyder, Director of Batman v Superman, said that Eisenberg's depiction of Luthor is "...one person to the world and another person to himself."

Snyder continues with his ominous tone by casually stating that Eisenberg's Luthor "says what he believes and says what's on his mind."
Nothing keeps your public image separate from your private persona like always saying exactly what's on your mind!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Pallindromemordnillap said:
...just looks like Jesse Eisenberg. There's nothing about it that really screams "Lex Luthor". Maybe if we could see the rest of him and he was in a suit (power or business, either's good) then there'd be something, but at the moment its really just like Eisenberg's taken a selfie after trying out a new look
Pretty much this whole thing.

Nothing against Eisenberg but he just looks too young, maybe if we saw him in a power or business suit and some damn color we could make a better call.

But right now it just looks like Eisenberg taking a selfie after shaving his head.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I actually like the look. I think that he could really make a good Lex Luthor. There's nothing wrong with putting a different spin on a roll that we've seen done a bunch of times. I'm glad they're going in a different direction. To be honest, I think most of the casting decisions could really work well if they were going to be utilized by a good director. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the casting that's going to ruin this movie. It'll be the awful direction combined with the fact that the movie is more crowed than Spiderman 3.

It just seems like they're trying to do their own Avengers without having all of the introductory films to use as a base. This could have been great if they'd released it 2-3 years later after giving the individual characters their own films to show some development. I mean, watching the Avengers without seeing the previous movies would be clunky at best. Still, I guess I should reserve judgment until I've seen the movie.