First Look at TMNT's Shredder Reveals a Blade-Heavy Costume

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
UberPubert said:
Khrowley said:
How the hell is he supposed to move quickly and quietly like a true Ninja should? I always preferred the 1990s movie Shredder as he seemed cold, ruthless, and above all EFFICIENT. He wouldn't bother with a ridiculous set of armor like that because he'd have the skills to make such a thing worthless to him and thus marking his place as the prime threat.
Uh, I think you're misremembering him. He wore bright maroon pyjamas, some useless spiked pauldrons, spiked shin-guards and a silly helmet. His "ninja" like style was facing all of the turtles head-on, at once, and then he died after blindly charging at master splinter and being tripped into falling off of a building.

He looked like an action figure and fought like a raging bull, don't give him more credit than he's due.

Anyway, this rendition just reminds me of super shredder, so I'm not disappointed.
Nah, the turtles came at him one at a time. He only became enraged when he saw Splinter show up, other than that he was in complete control of the fight. Plus, the Turtles had to fight through an army of mooks just to GET to him. Sure, they beat them but that's a tactic of wearing your opponent down. Also, his outfit was glittery for ...some reason... guess they were trying to invoke a kind of "armored clothe" look but whatever.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Khrowley said:
How the hell is he supposed to move quickly and quietly like a true Ninja should? I always preferred the 1990s movie Shredder as he seemed cold, ruthless, and above all EFFICIENT. He wouldn't bother with a ridiculous set of armor like that because he'd have the skills to make such a thing worthless to him and thus marking his place as the prime threat.
How the hell are humanoid turtles supposed to exist at all right? And learn ninjutsu, no less, why not just learn to use some guns and be done with it?

Why does the original shedder even use that stupid helmet in the first place, it's not even pratical for the size of his head, and looks like it would get in the way more than protect at all.

And even if he was so skilled to use that little armor with that crappy helmet anyway, why does this
even exists?

Tennage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that's why.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Paramount Pictures has released the first (official) still of The Shredder from August's hotly-anticipated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action reboot
Hotly anticipated by who? I hope that was sarcasm.

Lieju said:
I kinda like it, but after the turtle-designs, it might just be that I'm relieved it doesn't look totally silly.
There is no universe in which that design doesn't look silly. It makes Warhammer 40k Space Marine power armour look lithe and understated. Of all of the new designs, this one might actually be the worst, which is really saying something after the reveals of how terrible the turtles look.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Is anyone taking bets on which one of the turtles makes a joke about Shredder over-compensating?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Vivi22 said:
Lieju said:
I kinda like it, but after the turtle-designs, it might just be that I'm relieved it doesn't look totally silly.
There is no universe in which that design doesn't look silly. It makes Warhammer 40k Space Marine power armour look lithe and understated. Of all of the new designs, this one might actually be the worst, which is really saying something after the reveals of how terrible the turtles look.
Well more specifically, it looks a lot like a suit of Terminator armour with lightning claws:

Although in all honesty... I still kind of like it.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
So am I the only one looking at that and thinking it's another of Michael Bay's Transformers? Looks like one of his transformers.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
CkretAznMan said:
Looks like he wants a hug. Do you want to hug him?
Yes! That's almost exactly what I was thinking when I saw that suit in that pose, give or take his confused (and perhaps imaginary) daughter coming home from school for the last time.

Reminds me a lot of the post-ooze Monster Shredder from the end of a movie I'm not bothered enough to look up the date for. Put him in a centrifuge and he becomes the Blender! For mixing ooze and turtle soup!

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
How in the bloody hell do you put on this armor without slicing yourself to ribbons? Jesus, its like something straight out of Rob Liefeld's fever-induced dreams. This looks so impractical on multiple levels. I don't care if it is power armor, you cannot walk in that thing without killing yourself. You try scratching your nose and you'll end up piercing your brain. The 90s movie version of Shredder may had sparkly clothing but at least you could move around in it.

God, this movie is starting to reek of the bad 90s comics aesthetics. If this movie turns out to be good, I will be deeply surprised.

Jimalcoatl

Jun 21, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Paramount Pictures has released the first (official) still of The Shredder from August's hotly-anticipated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live-action reboot
Hotly anticipated by who?
It's anticipated in the same way you anticipate an oncoming train

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
This Shredder looks like the Silver Samurai crossed with the housewares section of frys.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
And the part of Shredder will be played by Robert Englund. Seriously, that looks like one of Freddy's nightmares if he was haunting a TMNT fan. Micheal Bay is a master of beating subtlety into a fine paste and smearing the results all over the set.

captcha: pandora's box
Yes, captcha, he also looks like one of those annoyingly hard undead mooks Kratos had to fight over and over before reaching Pandora's Box.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Imagine Bay levels of lens flare hitting that on screen, Serious eye damage incoming!

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Yeah, I admit I think this Shredder design looks cool.

but I also notice that it looks like Splinter is in front of him in this screenshot.

And, is it just me, or is Splinter wearing a hoodie?

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
Jeez that poor guy must have a hard time putting on that outfit and he must be very careful when he picks his nose.

But he looks deadly cool.