First online game?

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
f2p RS. When your 11 yrs old in the previous generation and your done with your ps2 for the day, it was the first thing I came to.

NAL

Jan 25, 2009
I believe my first online gaming experience was actually the independent PC game "Slime Online" by BlaXun. I've only had broadband a couple of years, and my PC isn't astounding, so until I hooked up my PS3 to the internet, it was only really indie games I played online.

Kontar

Jan 18, 2008
Command and Conquer on a modem. Oh, the memories.

I remember when I first got cable, I couldn't play TFC well for a while after because everything ran so smooth it threw me off.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
The Starcraft demo, over a 56k modem. Though I would have loved to get Tyrian or One Must Fall working online earlier than that, I never did.

Supernovajake

Oct 18, 2008
Motorstorm. I won as well!

Although getting every gold medal and obsessively learning the tracks in time trial may have had something to do with it.

Solo508

Jul 19, 2008
I can't really remember my internet speed at the time but my first online game was Runescape [www.runescape.com] which is a little embaressing to admit as I'm now a competitive FPS player.

Alexious

Oct 15, 2008
Final Fantasy XI, and I spent my first few hours trying to make conversation with NPCs....

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
It was either Red Alert (the first) or Starcraft, and over a modem. And it was surprisingly easy, if I remember correctly.

Matty-C

Jul 23, 2008
I played Runescape for the first 3 years of my online gaming.

In fact I just let my membership run out last month... *hangs head in shame*

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
My first online game was a browser based spaceship game, my first mmorpg was Ragnarok Online (it was a private server) and my first fps was Delta Force: Task Force Dagger.

etomai

Feb 4, 2009
Good grief, young crowd here. Only two BBS answers?

My first was Doom (1993) which was a huge pain to connect. I vaguely remember manually typing IP addresses at a DOS prompt and hoping a lot. We were all across a campus network, so speed wasn't an issue.

I suppose technically I had connected to a MUD or two prior, but never actually played.

Railu

Aug 7, 2008
OrangeAvenger said:
Quake.
God I'm old.
:Edit: Scrolling up and reading a little more I realized I also played games on aol long before quake like Federation and Gemstone 3.
No shame in that. Quake was my first online game too back in 1996.

Count_de_Monet said:
Followup question: When were you first on the internet?

1995 (maybe 1994) on a 14.4 through AOL here (even though that isn't REAL internet).
hahaha, same here. How could you not with a 4 foot tall stack of floppies that you always ended up with? After 1 week of service and a phone bill to rival a congressional bill, we quickly switched to a local access internet provider.

And yes, I said floppy disk. But my first modem was a 9600 baud. When we upgraded to 14.4, I thought it was so much faster. You can imagine my elation when I got my first 28.8 :)

Those were good times. Simpler times. You had to actually try to have someone insult you over a chat, and even then they used whole words and sentences.

Doug Damage

Feb 4, 2009
Probably either Federation, a Text based MMO on America Online or Age of Empires (the first one). Can't remember which.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Call of Duty. It was so much fun to play online with people that I got addicted and actually never bothered to beat Call of Duty: United Offensive because I was having so much damn fun playing online.

jahsol

Jan 14, 2009
MUD back in the late 80's early 90's. Was on BBS around the same time too.

Graphic games I would have to say Command and Conquer.