First person shooters with engaging/emotional stories

Feb 7, 2016
I'm looking for something to waste some time this week. I want to shoot stuff, but I also want a story that can make me feel something.

I just find it hard to really find an FPS with an emotional story. I know of ones that have pieces like Far Cry 5 has some moments if you pay attention, or The Darkness has touching moments.

Any of you know of anything to try out?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wolfenstein: The New Order

I'd go as far to say I play that game more for the actual story(telling) than for the shooting, though the shooting itself is fine. It's got tremendous cinematic flair. I know that's seen as a dirty word among the gaming elite, but the way it frames (cut)scenes and handles editing is really quite something. The performances are spot-on, there's a sweet little love story, and two sex scenes that actually work and add to the characters. And speaking of the characters, I don't think there's one in this game I dislike even in the slightest, which is pretty fucking rare.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
FEAR 2's story was awesome. Really original as well I've never really experienced another story like that. I think I played through it like 3 times before it finally clicked. Also Alma's theme is me favorite:

Though the third game sucked, I really wish we got another FEAR game *sigh*

Resident Evil 7 also has an awesome story. I enjoyed Far Cry 5's story but even here Ubi seems to lack the skill to create a compelling villain. Even the cult leader is a hipster with a man bun that reminded me a lot of the villain in Watch Dogs 2.

Mar 30, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Exactly what I can here to say.

The finishing score by Melissa Hollick does an excellent job of closing down the end scene as well. I didn't realise exactly how invested I had become in the characters 'til that song played and brought everything home.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
For the sake of the OP, I'm going to confine this to FPS games that got me "in the feels" - there's more games that have good stories, but they don't necessarily win on the 'emotional oomph' angle.

So with that said:

-BioShock
-Halo 2
-Halo 3
-Halo: Reach
-Killzone

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
I cant say emotional but both Metro games have some of the best, deepest stories in FPS i have ever played.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Mafia 2 is the only game I played that at the end made me feel a bit sad. Not strictly all FPS but huge chunks are. It comes with all the DLC these days too, which makes it a complete game, was a bit empty without it.

Feb 7, 2016
I?d second any of the Bioshock games, but it depends on taste which you might prefer. Not the greatest shooting by any stretch, but above average story telling.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Adding to the Wolfenstein: The New Order picks. Was expecting just some war shooter, got a surprisingly engaging story. I was hooked from the asylum chapter and wound up caring for the characters in ways I never expected possible from something called Wolfenstein.

BioShock too is a good pick though I think the first game is engaging and Infinite is both that AND tells an emotional story.

Also Borderlands, just because by the second game the characters had grown on me.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am gonna be the abberent to all this popular picks say this, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

The story was the most engaging Campaign of Call of Duty yet because it had memorable charcaters and campaign levels.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
Legomaniac91 said:
I can't believe no one has mention Spec-Ops: The Line yet. That one will mess you up.
Technically it's a 3rd person shooter. That aside I agree it's on point.

Other than that, Bioshock Infinite with the DLC takes the cake.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
The Bioshocks, especially 2. Fallout 4. Wolfenstein New Order was good, too. New Colossus was pretty good, too; the scene of BJ versus his Dad was engaging and tense. Spec Ops was...mesmerising, and even if it's 3rd person, if you haven't tried it yet, TRY IT. Definitely.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about FC3. Also, Borderlands 2, the Tiny Tina DLC especially.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Both of the new Wolfenstein games are great and probably have some of the best voice acting in games.

Far Cry 3 is also pretty emotional with an engaging antagonist and protagonist, it also has a great musical score.

KayeFaye

Jul 28, 2015
B-Cell said:
I cant say emotional but both Metro games have some of the best, deepest stories in FPS i have ever played.
I dunno, they can be pretty emotional. Maybe not necessarily for the main character and in a traditional sense, but they certainly evoke a mood and emotion that a lot of other post-apocalyptic vidya games ultimately fail to.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution also manages to have an engaging plot with great world building, though it's got enough flaws that I dunno if I'd call it "emotional." In fact its attempts to become emotional sort of fall flat... but it definitely has incredibly solid writing and succeeds to be interesting & engaging nonetheless, even if I'm stretching the definition of "FPS" here a little bit.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
I am gonna be the abberent to all this popular picks say this, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

The story was the most engaging Campaign of Call of Duty yet because it had memorable charcaters and campaign levels.
Black Ops is better, you philistine. Not as emotional really, but better.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I dont know if it counts as a FPS per se, but Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance has some moments.

Bioshock infinite, especially Burial at Sea.

Obviously Duke Nuken 3D, as its just to epic not to cry.

Far Cry 5 has moments, but the ending ruins it.

I would say Borderlands 2, but its just too silly and hammy to have a serious moment, let alone emotional one.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I am going to third the mention of Far Cry 3.

It is engaging to watch the protagonist's personality change throughout the game based on the experiences they had. I can not think of many FPS games that do that.