First show you ever hated

Salieri82

Mar 3, 2010
Dirge Eterna said:
I detested the care bears and gummy bears type shows as a kid. My fav's were G.I. Joe, Transformers and He-man, but as a male child I would watch Gem but I always rooted for the bad guys in any show I watched. I just didn't like the overly happy life is great shows they made for kids, but compared to the drek I see on tv now it was miles better.
Oooooh, yeah, the Care Bears were unbearable, too. (Ha! Unbearable! I made comedy!)

Compared to Transformers/G.I. Joe/etc., Care Bears never seems to get called out by the Nostalgia Police as the series of half-hour toy commercials that it was, even though it was just as blatantly merchandise-driven as the most cynical of the "Ninja Robot Mutant Squad" cartoons. Maybe it got away with it because everything about Care Bears was so soft and squishy and seemingly harmless (even though the characters were talking bears who smote their enemies with laser beams that shot out of their stomachs a concept they somehow managed to drain all the cool from.)

Oh, and as for the first live-action show I ever despised? FULL. HOUSE.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Maybe Smurfs, because goddamn Smurfs.

They were kinda annoying, there was barely ever any interesting kind of conflict, they were actually really annoying, and the villain was too incompetent and pathetic to make things exciting (Seriously, Guy's kinda sad, nothing to do with his life other than to fail miserably capturing little garden-gnome-like guys, he is like a Proto-Ice King without the heartbreaking backstory)

I also always despised Stargate SG-1, despite being a science fiction fan.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
I hate a lot of shows, but off the top of my head i have to say

Two and a half men after Charlie left.
All the new Disney shows. Here in the Netherlands they are even worse, since they are dubbed dutch. It's complete crap.

*Grabs flame shield*

Spongebob square pants. Still can't understand what people like about it.

Can't remember what the first show was, i blanked it out of my memory.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
gigastar said:
I generally come to hate any show that throws around the Idiot Ball [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdiotBall] too much.

There are a few exceptions, though.
Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes! I despise the Idiot Ball with the fury of a supernova. It needs to be banned.

MrHide-Patten said:
My Little Pony. Oh yes I went there Brony's. The levels of cute that show got made me physically sick. So I suppose that's an accomplishment no other show has been able to do.
If the cute makes you sick, I wonder what the freaky faces which show up when the animators get lazy will do to you?

Sep 24, 2008
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Man i was sure it would be the first show to be mentioned here but somehow no one mentioned it yet:

Big Bang Theory, of course. I know, it's kind of an obviious anwer but it just get on my nerves. It's just so pretentious... it's a retread of a bunch of twenty year old sitcom clichés but all the nerds watch it anyway because they can pat themselves on the back whenever they recognize a reference... and as a nerd it frustrates me that that is all it needs to attract our audience.

I mean, Two and a half men is just as generic but at least it doesn't try to pander to me in such an obnoxious way.
One of the things that made me hate the show so much is when non geeks or nerds find out I'm a geek and they use Big Bang Theory to relate to me. 'Omg, Sheldon, right?! I get that!'

Of course you get that. It's a stupid character created from every stereotype there is for you to 'get that. It's so self pleasing that it's disgusting.

"Look! These geniuses?! These titans of the mental world who will create things that you will benefit from for all of time? They are so much worse than you! They can not function, they aren't better than you in anyway... In fact, the only way they'll ever get through life is if the pretty normal one holds their hands like the babies they are! Don't you feel better?"

It's like they took a look at the last few years in movies, realized that geeks were bringing in a lot of money for the bigs, and they had to figure out how to tap that market. They couldn't make a comic book show... so why not make a show about 'them'?! Fuck that show.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Longstreet said:
All the new Disney shows. Here in the Netherlands they are even worse, since they are dubbed dutch. It's complete crap.
Do you have Gravity Falls in the Netherlands? Because it's amazing enough to justify all the other crap Disney puts out (although Tron: Uprising was alright, but then again, i'm a bit of a Tron Fanboy)

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
penguindude42 said:
krazykidd said:
Angel ( that buffy knock off ).
Dude I'm pretty sure it's a spinoff.

OT: Samurai Champloo, if only for not being Cowboy Bebop.
Knock-off or spin-off, it doesn't matter, it was boring and unnescecary.

That said, I hated soap series from the beginning, does that count?
Otherwise, And there quiet a few cartoons I could never bare to watch, although I don't remember their names.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Hah, Rocket Power.
"Look at these people who live extremely athletic living styles, constantly are plagued by natural disasters, are always getting in problems with their parents, and live in a much more exciting location than you."

I can't pin down a good reason why I didn't like it than it was always about some athletic thing. I want to go skating but there's a hurricane. A new skating park opened but someone I know didn't fess up to an accident so now the park is closed. I want to go kayaking in the ocean but I don't want to be chaperoned with my dad. I want to play hockey but the only way I can play is by extraditing one of my friends.
While this isn't the first show I didn't like, it's definitely one of the worst that I've viewed. I didn't like Otto at all, if only because the story in each episode is "Otto wants to be a daredevil in some athletic stunt. He bombs doing so, and then gets grounded for some measure of time."

The show that I strongly disliked for the longest time and I still do, is Ren and Stimpy. The artwork, the design, the premise, the characters. Just all of it was just lame and just looked like garbage. Stimpy was supposed to be a cat? Really? I thought he looked like a hog or a pig. And Ren looked like a skinny rat with big eyes. The nonsensical stories were just unappealing and made too little sense for me to like it at the age of 7. That and the humor was just made of ilk. It was a gross and disgusting take on slap-stick comedy. It made me turn off the TV to wait for some better show to come on in the afternoon.

Other shows that get the worst or most disliked on my list are:

Rocko's Modern Life.

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters.

GeterianMarsus

Jun 19, 2013
HellbirdIV said:
I think Firefly was the first show I actually sat down and watched (as opposed to merely glimpsing it now and again on TV) and ended up really, really disliking.
Dude, I'd tell you to get a flame shield, but you're gonna' need a freaking bunker after saying that.

On topic: Well, the first one that comes to mind is Johnny Test. I know there were shows I hated before that, but I've so effectively repressed them that I can't remember their names. Johnny Test is one of the worst fucking shows ever made. The first episodes were okay, the animation was decent, and the characters weren't spiteful little shits yet. It was still a blatant rip-off of Dexter's Lab, but it wasn't the worst thing ever. Then they got cheap. Any charm, originality, or likeability the show and characters had was scrubbed clean. The characters, especially Johnny, became the most unironically irritating, mean-spirited assholes I've ever seen on a children's show. The scripts wouldn't be passable by the standards of shows for 5 year-olds. The animation is some of the worst I've ever seen. If anything so much as moves, it turns into a complete mess of color and lines. And the sound, holy fuck, the sound. The same two or three tracks repeat about five fucking times every episode, and anytime someone moves, or something minor happens, they play the most annoying sound effects I've ever heard. It just makes your goddamn ears bleed after a singe episode. This show is a form of torture that was mistakenly branded as a television show. Don't give me that crap about how it's a kids show. You wanna know what else is a kids show? Batman TAS, Animaniacs, Adventure Time. Those shows are aimed at kids and young teenagers, and they're fucking awesome. Johnny Test and every show like it have almost no fucking excuse. I say almost, because there is one reason these shows exist, they're really cheap. All you need to do is find some kids who can use flash, and will work for peanuts, hire some no-name actors, who also get paid peanuts, and write the script on the back of a napkin when you have an hour free. It doesn't matter how bad they are, they cost so little that there is almost no way they can fail.

After writing that, I just remembered that I despised Tom&Jerry before Johnny Test even existed, but screw it.

secretkeeper12

Jun 14, 2012
The first season of Adventure Time. I was going through that stage where I found anything made for kids stupid (except for the stuff I liked, of course!), which was a problem since my brother was OBSESSED with that show. I've been hearing good things about it since, and I might check it out one of these days, but at the time I absolutely hated it.

If it counts, I'd also like to inluch the map Junction from Team Fortress 2. I honestly felt sick playing it. There's no excuse for such a cramped, imbalanced piece of turd. The only way you could enjoy it is if your completely oblivious on how to play the game.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
GeterianMarsus said:
All you need to do is find some kids who can use flash, and will work for peanuts, hire some no-name actors, who also get paid peanuts, and write the script on the back of a napkin when you have an hour free. It doesn't matter how bad they are, they cost so little that there is almost no way they can fail.

After writing that, I just remembered that I despised Tom&Jerry before Johnny Test even existed, but screw it.
What makes it even worse is that Johnny Test re-uses the same shit over and over with only the barest of changes. In the handful of episodes that I watched with my niece ( I probably saw fifteen total, if that) they used the 'Let's have a race' plot at least four times. IT was used in a 'man versus Wild' take off foot race, a dune-buggy/go-cart 'Speed Racer' take-off race, a boat race and a ride-on lawn mower race.
"Let's have a race" plot in spoilers to cut down on 'wall-o-text'
Johnny or his sisters challenge the other to a race, with gift cards/certificates being the prize. The main good characters and villains join and throw their own gift cards (for the same store with the same balance) into the pot. The bad guys cheat and disable each other racer. Johnny stops and helps each disabled racer, despite the fact that it will cost him the race. The Bad guys get themselves disabled. Johnny picks up disabled bad guys. Everybody crosses the finish line at the same time and get to keep their own gift cards. Johnny learns a lesson about playing fair being better than winning.
Other than the type of vehicle and the setting of the race, very few things were changed.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
GeterianMarsus said:
HellbirdIV said:
Dude, I'd tell you to get a flame shield, but you're gonna' need a freaking bunker after saying that.
Yayaya. There's a reason it got cancelled, and the fact Whedon has a handful of zealous fanatics worshipping him on the internet doesn't actually make the show any good, so I don't mind their yapping so much.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Frybird said:
Longstreet said:
Do you have Gravity Falls in the Netherlands? Because it's amazing enough to justify all the other crap Disney puts out (although Tron: Uprising was alright, but then again, i'm a bit of a Tron Fanboy)

Just read through the tv guide and couldn't find that one on the Disney Channel.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Smurfs. Downright Nazi propaganda, and what is worse, it was downright boring Nazi propaganda.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Seinfeld.
Monthy Python's Flying Circus.
Honey Boo Booo (The least horrid of the shows listed here).

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Lessee... Big Bang Theroy, it's basically nerdface(seriously, the actors don't even know what they're talking about, and the only punchline is "nerds try to get laid")

Game of Thrones- It's basically the PJ LotR movies in TV form. Just nonstop talking yet they advertise stuff actually happening.

The X-Files: Truthfully, I've only seen one episode and I liked it(the COPS crossover) but that theme... Gives me nightmares to this day if I hear it.

CAPTCHA: Face the music. NO I WILL NOT!!! I can't even watch the Simpsons crossover episode because of that music.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Slenn said:
The show that I strongly disliked for the longest time and I still do, is Ren and Stimpy. The artwork, the design, the premise, the characters. Just all of it was just lame and just looked like garbage. Stimpy was supposed to be a cat? Really? I thought he looked like a hog or a pig. And Ren looked like a skinny rat with big eyes. The nonsensical stories were just unappealing and made too little sense for me to like it at the age of 7. That and the humor was just made of ilk. It was a gross and disgusting take on slap-stick comedy. It made me turn off the TV to wait for some better show to come on in the afternoon.
What's even worse is that the creator is a huge asswipe with an ego that can rival Kanye West's. These day's he just sits around on his blog bashing other animated shows just because they're not as good as his.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Saltyk said:
Well, this may not count entirely, but I'm gonna put it here, anyway.
I can't watch King of the Hill.

Not because it's bad. Hell, the show is genius at times. One of the best episodes I did see was Hank and several other characters parodying 12 Angry Men with a lawnmower. It was so funny. Partly because Hank and co don't realize they are being funny.

So, why can't I watch this show? Peggy.

I HATE Peggy. She's annoying, idiotic (but thinks she's smart), arrogant, annoying, lacks any degree of common sense, and causes plenty of problems. Did I mention she's annoying? I hate this one character so much, for fear of an episode being Peggy centered, I can't ever watch it. Which is unfortunate.

And I get the joke. It's just not funny. She's too annoying to be funny.

I remember watching an episode where she effectively ends up smuggling drugs into jail without knowing it. All because she's too full of herself to realize that no kid would write to a substitute teacher. In the end, she almost gets in trouble because the convict can basically just tell the warden about the smuggling. But, because the crook was too dumb to not take his drugs/evidence, and Hank pointed out that it was his word against hers, she was let go. Does Peggy have any humility? Nope. She walks out telling Hank she told him she could take care of it.

I really hate that character...
Yes. Yes. THIS. YES.

For my answer I'd say Ed, Edd & Eddy was probably the first show I hated beyond just "I just don't like it."

I grew up watching cartoons with subtle humor and jokes, and this was probably the breaking point for me realizing cartoons (and soon to follow, live action shows) were able to be popular for just being stupid. It was like a proto Epic Movie approach to comedy.

cdemares

Jan 5, 2012
It's hard to remember, but Full House. That show was nothing but a canned "Awwwww!" all the time. Look at how cute this is. As a kid, it didn't resonate at all. I guess the show was really for parents and adults to go nuts over cute kids. As a kid, that gets annoying real fast.

My most hated animated show was Rugrats. Oh man. Angelica is reason enough.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
RaikuFA said:
The X-Files: Truthfully, I've only seen one episode and I liked it(the COPS crossover) but that theme... Gives me nightmares to this day if I hear it.
So, you do like it?
-----
OT: I don't like Jessie. A show on Disney. I have nothing against the show personally, but I have to hear it constantly, my little brother loves the show.

A show that I hate because I genuinely don't like it would have to be...pretty much everything else on Disney now except for Gravity Falls.