First thoughts upon hearing "Japan".

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
My very first thought upon reading this title was hearing this in my mind:

I don't even know whether that meme is Japanese in origin. Probably not but there ya go.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010

When I saw Japan in the title of the thread my first thought was this. For most countries, when I first see the name, I tend to think of the flag, or their geographical location. In this case it was the flag simply because of how simple it is. Beautifully simple, mind you.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Vault101 said:
Westaway said:
An otaku is a resident of Japan who has secluded himself from society and more than likely consumes large amounts of self insert and wishful-fullfilment media. Usually video games and 2ch, too.
Would you say Anime and video games are very self insert and wish fulfillment?... That's interesting.

whats 2ch?
That's a really good question, and something that I had to think about for a few minutes.

When I say self insert, 95% of the time I'm talking about anime. A huge number of anime are extremely easy or created to be self inserted into. Hell, there's a whole genre of anime coined "harem" because the main character has such a large cast of females who are attracted to him, for no real reason. The grand majority of otaku eat that stuff up.

I don't think many video games are self insert. The opposite would make sense, since you actually can CONTROL the person you would potentially be self inserting to, but for some reason not many games cater to wishful fulfillment. Maybe that's because most self insert media is targeted to young (teenage) boys and not gruff men, like most video game protagonists are.

2ch is Japan's 4chan, not to be confused with 2chan, which is Japan's Reddit.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Tenting (don't google that if you don't know what it means [sub][sub](do it)[/sub][/sub]) and schoolgirls, Yakuza, nijas and dragons

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
lettttss seee....first things first the word awesome comes to mind...then kendo, manga, anime, giant statues and so on and so forth

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Giant Robots.

Also, where did the term Weeaboo (weeboo?) come from? I have always called such people Japanophiles and was corrected recently, where the Japanophile term used to fly pretty well, or at least people understood what type of people I was talking about.

Chunga the Great

Sep 12, 2010
Fuck yes, this video is finally relevant to our discussion;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g

IF YOU DON'T FIND THIS CATCHY THEN YOU ARE A LIAR AND A FIEND

Good day.

NINJA EDIT: Oh, and my avatar is also relevant. (Nocchi from Perfume)

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
My everyday life, and pretty much everything it entails.

There's not really a single thing that pops up, just my daily life here.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
First thought?

How forthcoming male Japanese characters are. They always tend to have this really deep, sometimes even booming voice. Emphasis mattering a lot more in Japanese than it does in English, a lot of the "auditory structures" you hear from a foreigner's perspective sound cartoonish.

Like, a North-American man who's angry might not shout. He might not even raise his voice. His anger's going to carry in his gestures and posture, and in the sentence stress patterns he uses. In Japan, angry men seem like they're obligated by structures in the language to start sounding like they're out of their minds with sheer rage.

I'm assuming it's only a question of perspective, of course.

The same goes for incredulity. We'll just go "What?!" and not really try to drag it out. They'll go "NAAAAAANIIIII?!" as if the longer it's stretched, the more appropriately incredulous they look.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
The first two words that come to mind are 'Shigeru' and 'Miyamoto' in that order.

felbot

May 11, 2011
i thought of a giant eye for some odd reason, must be due to the legend of zelda series.
anybody notice how many eyes you shoot in those games?

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
Giant Robots.

Also, where did the term Weeaboo (weeboo?) come from? I have always called such people Japanophiles and was corrected recently, where the Japanophile term used to fly pretty well, or at least people understood what type of people I was talking about.
Japanophile is correct and the proper term, much like Anglophile or Francophile.

"weaboo" is a slur used by insecure kids.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Developed society but developed in a very different way to western societies. Pretty interesting when you take into account it's geographical location and history. Interesting and unique history and culture, great sceneries. Definitely want to visit Japan one day.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
My first thought when I see Japan mentioned in a thread is:

but then my mind normally wanders to Baby Metal, it's soooooo catchy, yet metal.