First Trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Revealed

Beetlebum

Oct 14, 2011
I'm all for more Star Wars, but I wish they'd stay in the Force Awakens timeline instead of going back to the OT timeline. Plenty of space to create new stories in the sequel times, no need to mine for nostalgia in the OT just because some little part of the story wasn't completely told.

TFA already clashes greatly with the OT movies in terms of editing and scene building, which is okay for a new time period. But if you insert such cinematography into the OT setting, I fear the dissonance would be too great, at least for me.

Selucia

Feb 27, 2015
Dragonlayer said:
Pluvia said:
Yojoo said:
Yeah... Rogue One seems like a great spot to tell a new story, but I'm significantly less interested in origin-stories of old characters. Especially Fett, since his entire personality and mystique is due to the Extended Universe and he barely does anything at all in the actual films.

I'd have preferred a look at the distant past of the world. Old Republic stuff, etc.
We got Bobba Fett's entire origin story in Attack of the Clones.
Is it really a origin story if it consists entirely of "Dialogue about Jango wanting to raise a normally ageing clone of himself" and "Child-Boba picks up his dad's head and looks sad"?

TCW did more than enough for boba fetts origins showing him working with various factions and bounty hunters growing in skill to the point that he becomes the leader of his own little group, anything more than he will become as stale as darth maul who only lingers on due to his strange popularity.

OT: Looks good the new story should make it more interesting than TFA which was let down by trying to copy ANH to hard.Hopefully this will satisfy all those who wanted a darker more gritty star wars for ages.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Looks really promising.

I enjoy that the battles have a more 'real' feel to them while still being very Star Wars(they never forgot the crazy amount of sparks and fire from explosions from the originals!). They definitely took notes from modern warfilms.

That said, maaaaan that was some cheesy dialog.

(Also, anyone have any idea what's on her back in the 'wearing the imperial armor' shot? Stun batons?)

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Something Amyss said:
ThatOtherGirl said:
-The jedi mind manipulation trick is never established to have been a particularly difficult use of the force, and managing to pull it off on a brainwashed storm trooper after repeated tries hardly counts as "mastery".
Yeah, also true. Rey managed to mind trick one trooper after three tries. Not exactly what I would call the pinnacle of power.
Nothing Rey does in the movie is particularly exceptional. I mean, the big ones that people seem to have a problem with is that she managed to out fly a pair of ties in a ship there is every likely hood she is highly familiar with (she is established in the movie as being highly familar with the Falcon's inner workings and the modifications made to it) and that she managed to just barely beat a severely wounded man in a sword fight after he ran several miles bleeding out. These are not exactly the most impressive of achievements, and not even close to the most impressive achievements by a novice force user in Star Wars, but for some reason (I wonder why?!?!) it is a problem this time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ThatOtherGirl said:
Nothing Rey does in the movie is particularly exceptional. I mean, the big ones that people seem to have a problem with is that she managed to out fly a pair of ties in a ship there is every likely hood she is highly familiar with (she is established in the movie as being highly familar with the Falcon's inner workings and the modifications made to it) and that she managed to just barely beat a severely wounded man in a sword fight after he ran several miles bleeding out. These are not exactly the most impressive of achievements, and not even close to the most impressive achievements by a novice force user in Star Wars, but for some reason (I wonder why?!?!) it is a problem this time.
Yeah, I'm not even sure either of those are the most exceptional feats in this movie. But when you compare them to the things Anakin and Luke did without much in the way of training, they hardly seem noteworthy. Especially if she does turn out to be a Skywalker, but even if not it's not like they haven't done a "chosen one" cycle in both prior trilogies.

Hell, people in Star Wars in general seem to be pretty talented. This kind of makes sense, given how much Star Wars borrows from old serials and the like. And it seemed to be mostly fine until it was Rey, who seemed to garner a lot of hatred before we ever saw her do anything.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Pluvia said:
How many times have we seen Batman's parents killed now.
The major difference, I think, is that a fair amount of Boba's origin can be inferred, while Batman's is repeatedly spoonfed to us like we're complete idiots.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. It didn't grab me, and I'm not fond of the name.
But I'm also aware that could be from having read a fair bit of the old EU, so it might be "its different, so it sucks".

Wonder if Rogue One refers to her, or the guy. Could he be Wedge ?

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
Something Amyss said:
ThatOtherGirl said:
Yeah, I'm not even sure either of those are the most exceptional feats in this movie. But when you compare them to the things Anakin and Luke did without much in the way of training, they hardly seem noteworthy. Especially if she does turn out to be a Skywalker, but even if not it's not like they haven't done a "chosen one" cycle in both prior trilogies.

Hell, people in Star Wars in general seem to be pretty talented. This kind of makes sense, given how much Star Wars borrows from old serials and the like. And it seemed to be mostly fine until it was Rey, who seemed to garner a lot of hatred before we ever saw her do anything.
Sigh.

She's considerably less Mary Sueish than Anakin in the prequels, yes, but considering he and those movies are universally-loathed...

Beyond the one-in-a-million shot the entire movie builds toward, Luke comes off as a whiny dork in A New Hope. He gets beat up by a sandperson, he gets bullied and shoved to the ground at Mos Eisley, and he only uses a lightsaber for practice while using no force powers other than (arguably) force push to guide the torpedo at the end minus whatever stat buff the force grants him toward piloting. Never mind that his love interest is a one-sided crush that winds up being his biological sister.

I'll insist and insist that any framing of Luke as "badass" in A New Hope is patently false and likely conflating his character arc across the trilogy.

Lastly, while I can admit that people are more likely to call out "Mary Suedom" in tandem with an accusation of Tokenism, that doesn't necessarily mean the criticism is false; it simply may come from disingenuous motives. If one wished to take "identity politics" to whole way, couldn't I, as a black man, be outraged that Finn is a decoy protagonist portrayed as the most slapstick and incompetent? He's no Poe Damaran...

---

All that rehashed... Good trailer!

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Dazzle Novak said:
Something Amyss said:
ThatOtherGirl said:

Sigh.

She's considerably less Mary Sueish than Anakin in the prequels, yes, but considering he and those movies are universally-loathed...

Beyond the one-in-a-million shot the entire movie builds toward, Luke comes off as a whiny dork in A New Hope. He gets beat up by a sandperson, he gets bullied and shoved to the ground at Mos Eisley, and he only uses a lightsaber for practice while using no force powers other than (arguably) force push to guide the torpedo at the end minus whatever stat buff the force grants him toward piloting. Never mind that his love interest is a one-sided crush that winds up being his biological sister.

I'll insist and insist that any framing of Luke as "badass" in A New Hope is patently false and likely conflating his character arc across the trilogy.

Lastly, while I can admit that people are more likely to call out "Mary Suedom" in tandem with an accusation of Tokenism, that doesn't necessarily mean the criticism is false; it simply may come from disingenuous motives. If one wished to take "identity politics" to whole way, couldn't I, as a black man, be outraged that Finn is a decoy protagonist portrayed as the most slapstick and incompetent? He's no Poe Damaran...

---

All that rehashed... Good trailer!
I don't think either of us was saying Luke is forever portrayed as a badass. Just that Rey has done nothing more impressive than he did as a novice force user.

Besides, while Rey isn't the whiny brat Luke is she exhibits the same basic flaw, namely an unwillingness to take responsibility on her shoulders (notice that this is also the same basic flaw Anakin had.) It is the same basic character flaw, it just manifests differently because of their different life experiences.

Luke led a pretty normal life, so for him it manifests as pretty normal "I'm the center of the universe, if only people didn't hold me back, why is life so unfair!" teenage mentality. To some extent same with Anikin, except he piled mass murder on top of being a whiny jerk.

Rey led a very different life, she likely had that skywalker brattiness beaten out of her a long time ago (assuming she is a skywalker) but the flaw remains. For her it manifests as an unwillingness to do anything to improve her situation beyond what is immediately required for survival, instead waiting for her long lost family to literally appear from the sky and take her away to some magical land of happiness. This character flaw runs so deep in her that even after she has escaped she insists on returning to her dusty pit in the ground so she can continue waiting for someone else to solve all her problems.

Also, Poe Damaran is freaking OP. I mean, damn that man can fly. Finn was pretty awesome too, he felt the most real of all the good guy side of the cast, though I hope he gets a few more moments to shine in the next couple films.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
LifeCharacter said:
Dazzle Novak said:

So he only took a one-in-a-million shot that destroyed a moon-sized superweapon that required he telekinetically control a torpedo to make a 90 degree turn, and only managed to take said shot because he was able to survive the trench run and outmaneuvering Darth "Best pilot of the Republic who destroyed a Separatist command ship when he was 8" Vader? All with little, if any actual training in that particular ship? You don't need to look at the trilogy as a whole to regard Luke as a badass, though they certainly help show just how much of a complete Sue he is based on what people seem to regard as Sues nowadays.
Aye, there's the rub. Semantics can skew perceptions. For example: Han took out Boba Fett! Sounds cool, right? In actuality, he accidentally launched Fett into a toothed vagina monster by means of bumbling slapstick. Hmmm, that second explanation of the same event doesn't sound quite as epic or amazeballs when framed that way.

Likewise, yes, blowing up the Death Star would be a much bigger deal in terms of historical significance and geopolitical strategy than, say, besting Darth Vader in single combat, but the latter is the more "badass" feat considering the arc of the films. Luke made a shot that the other pilots were expected to be able to make. And, even if that wasn't the case, how the force was used is debatable. I think he used the force to aim the shot (hence, not wanting to be distracted by his targeting computer); you believe he TK'd the torpedo downward at a 90 degree angle. I'd argue that considering he couldn't TK a lightsaber at arms length in ESB, he's never exhibited telekinesis of that proficiency. It might be a SFX failure.

Furthermore, two other pilots had to sacrifice themselves to keep enemies off his tail during that trench run and he only evaded Vader's lock-on because Han swooped in last second.

Even if I grant you that Luke got the BIG DAMN HERO moment at the end, you couldn't cite any moment before that where he's portrayed as the cool guy protagonist. He shoots as well as anyone else aboard the Death Star. Obi Wan has the wisdom and the Laser Sword. Han has the cool ship and the charm. Leia has the authority and the balls. With TFA, however, I can cite a few "cool guy" Rey moments prior to her final battle.

This is why I hate how inextricably bound TFA has become with the diversity argument. First, because "white brunette" apparently trumps "person of color" on the hierarchy and second because I'm accused of hypocrisy despite making the same argument against Abram's version of Kirk (who I think is a jackass that coasts on allies and superiors who enable his bullshit and moments of "innate genius" whenever he's in a bind) and hate the fanwank surrounding Batman. This not even going into how the characterizations contradict the actor's portrayals...

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
I am noticing a distinct lack of JJ Abrams bullshit in this trailer. Good. I'm getting excited.

I sure hope they can manage to keep the story nice, clean and simple.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
Last post. I don't wish to derail another Star Wars thread further with my pedantry trying, and failing, to grasp exactly what bugs me about the praise for TFA. You'll get the final word after this.

LifeCharacter said:
We both agree that Luke surviving the trench run and making the shot because he flew a civilian equivalent of a military vessel in Space Arkansas is typical "protagonist of the movie" bullshit. Also, in my list of complaints against TFA, Rey being a "Mary Sue" doesn't make my top 5 and possibly not even my top 10. However, I vehemently disagree that Luke in ANH is treated with the consistent sense of awe Rey inspires. He's an ace pilot at the end with unseen space wizard roots. That's it. He gets thrown the Death Star ball because A) the insert character for kids in the audience can't be useless in their own movie and B) it was written as a standalone, thus the arc had to end on that film.

Fair enough on the last point. The world revolving around mediocre white men is a different type of Mary Sue (i.e. Harry Potter, Shia LeBouf in Transformers, etc.) With Rey, it's less "she so good" and more the problem of TFA being, for all intents and purposes, a high budget fanfic in conjunction with the identity politics.

One scene sums it up for me: Han Solo hands Rey a spare blaster. Her reaction is to scoff and go "I think I can handle myself!" Han, in response, goes, "I know. That's why I'm giving you this." This exchange makes no sense to me. Both the way Han is made to assure some punk kid he's just met, "You go, girl! I recognize your awesome skills!" and the idea that being offered a gun is somehow patronizing despite later, surprise-surprise, the Storm Troopers shooting at everyone with blasters. It's both fanfic-y (having an established character dote on the new one lest we form our own opinion about them) and SJW-y, for want of a better word, where every action is viewed through the prism of "A man doing X to a woman!".

This isn't even mentioning how people are trying to have it both ways insisting on the one hand her talents are so unremarkable as to not even need further explanation while insisting it'll all be revealed she's A) the best trained Jedi toddler in history or B) even more Space Jesus than Anakin "Yippee!!!" Skywalker. Or how I'm supposed to swallow Finn (my favorite character) getting his ass whupped by a Storm Trooper (a moment I liked), yet anything less than Rey performing mind tricks and force pulls purely off intuition is her being "incompetent" and me being anti-Strong Female Protagonist. There's a spectrum between overpowered and useless.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dazzle Novak said:
Good thing neither of us said badass, then. That also means you were misattributing us.

Or responding to something completely unrelated. Either way, if you're responding to me in the future, it'd probably be better to limit it to things I actually said.

She's considerably worse than Anakin in the prequels, yes, but considering he and those movies are universally-loathed...
Interesting that you contrast Ani to Luke, since in their initial outing they both do roughly the same thing: their Force talents make them exceptional pilots (and in Luke's case, a gunner, too). In Ani's case, he wins a pod race against experienced racers. In Luke's case, he does what none of the other seasoned pilots can do--and without the usual equipment. Given Anakin's was essentially an accident, I'm not sure how Luke comes off as the better example here.

ThatOtherGirl said:
Besides, while Rey isn't the whiny brat Luke is she exhibits the same basic flaw, namely an unwillingness to take responsibility on her shoulders (notice that this is also the same basic flaw Anakin had.) It is the same basic character flaw, it just manifests differently because of their different life experiences.
Dare I say, this is one element of Rey I actually found interesting. Rather than Anakin and Luke's "it's not fair!" bullshit, she's waiting for someone. She's actually holding out hope that if she just stays on NOT TATTOOINE that her parents will come back to her. Which NOT YODA tells her they both know isn't going to happen. And think about what she's willing to endure to hold to that. It's not like it's an entirely unique concept, either, but it's more interesting than using the same riffs of Sarah in Labyrinth.

Also, Poe Damaran is freaking OP. I mean, damn that man can fly. Finn was pretty awesome too, he felt the most real of all the good guy side of the cast, though I hope he gets a few more moments to shine in the next couple films.
One thing I liked about Finn is how he grew over the course of the movie. Boyega actually comes off as stuff and robotic in early parts of the movie, when he's not having panic attacks. Basically, what I'd expect of someone who was stolen away as a child and brainwashed into being a Space Nazi. Well, Space Nazi Janitor, but still.

Had a similar response to Rey. Loved how she lit up when she bypassed the compensator, and thought Han would approve. And then again when Han offered her a job. Nothing dorky here, of course.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Selucia said:
Dragonlayer said:
Pluvia said:
Yojoo said:
Yeah... Rogue One seems like a great spot to tell a new story, but I'm significantly less interested in origin-stories of old characters. Especially Fett, since his entire personality and mystique is due to the Extended Universe and he barely does anything at all in the actual films.

I'd have preferred a look at the distant past of the world. Old Republic stuff, etc.
We got Bobba Fett's entire origin story in Attack of the Clones.
Is it really a origin story if it consists entirely of "Dialogue about Jango wanting to raise a normally ageing clone of himself" and "Child-Boba picks up his dad's head and looks sad"?

TCW did more than enough for boba fetts origins showing him working with various factions and bounty hunters growing in skill to the point that he becomes the leader of his own little group, anything more than he will become as stale as darth maul who only lingers on due to his strange popularity.
I assume by TCW you mean one of those Clone Wars animated series I've heard conflicting stories about; they may very well have fleshed out Boba Fett's background, but the point I was making to Pluvia was that two absolutely tiny moments in the whole film does not make an origin story. Considering that Boba Fett does practically nothing for his entire on-screen existence - stands around silently, picks up frozen Han, gets killed accidentally by a blind man - I'd say his popularity is already highly peculiar, and that some action involving him wouldn't go amiss.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Pluvia said:
Dragonlayer said:
How many times have we seen Batman's parents killed now.
Erm....42....hundred....thousand....ish?

I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with anything, since I was questioning the idea that Child-Boba's almost non-existent presence in the film constitutes a full origin/background story. Batman's origin - however many times we see it - is much more substantial: dead parents, fancy training, first year on the job, BOOM Batman.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Because so far she is not as badass as Samus Aran and Classic Lara Croft in my eyes. And what made them special is that they did not FOCUS on the fact that they are Women.
..? Where did you get them focusing on the main character being a woman? Did we watch the same trailer? She looks plenty badass to me in the short snippets we've seen.

I am super stoked for this, by the way. Even more so than EP7. Maybe it's the familiar setting.