Five Charged After Kid Sells Kidney to Buy an iPad

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
This is sad- putting his own life at risk for a couple pieces of [em]disposable[/em] technology. In two years, there'll be a thinner version of the same, as well as a couple of better priced knock offs. :( sad.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
I remember this idiot. So many people talked about the fact that he would end up suffering from health issues that would cost a lot more than some iPad, and indeed, here we are. I know I shouldn't laugh at this fellow, but I don't feel particularly sympathetic either. If he can work an iPad, then he should be able to understand that he won't work without his internal organs.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I admit to being an Apple fan, myself, but this is not something I could condone under any circumstance (and making jokes about it is extremely poor taste, people). No material possession, not even products from Apple, are worth the sacrifice of your life or body. While the purchase of the iPad is the most prominent note in the article, it would not surprise me that there were additional reasons for this kid making this incredibly stupid choice to sell his kidney. Further, while I could scoff at his ultimately bad decision, my real ire is reserved for those running this body-parts scam. Those people should be destroyed.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
$35,000?! Uhm... do you need a kidney to survive?

OT: This is a really bad idea. Also, it's his fucking kidney, give him the money!

Captcha: tea with jam
Now this is a good idea!

disappointed

Sep 14, 2011
Lurid, sensationalist story with "iPad" thrown in for linkbait. He bought various bits of tech with the cash. So what? That's not particularly important. The real story here is about the criminal gangs that lure naive kids into giving up vital organs to sell on the black market, a market which must stretch all the way up to medical professionals who really should know better than to play any part in such a hideous scheme.

It's a depressing reflection on the state of journalism that it takes an SEO-friendly keyword to get anyone to pay attention.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Screamarie said:
*shakes head*. I love it when people misunderstand their bodies. Just because you CAN live on one kidney, doesn't mean you should and it doesn't mean you just go on living your life the same way. You lose a kidney you're in for serious doctor visits for the rest of your life.
On the plus side, while sitting in the waiting room he can play Angry Birds.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
My mum has had one kidney since she was 14 and she's perfectly fine, no health issues :/ what gives?
Depends on the person.
having 1 kidney is a coin toss if you will be alright.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
I don't see anything wrong here. If the truth is exactly as reported, the kid's an utter dropkick (slang for idiot--fun fact) and he volunteered for the operation, so no one stole anything from him or assaulted him. No sympathy for the wanker who sells a vital organ to purchase luxury products. Greedy dumbass got burned. Laugh and walk on.

If anything, give the surgeons a medal for helping to thin the idiot population. (I'm joking.)

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Windu23 said:
And here, I thought the body could survive with only one kidney.
It can. It just makes it harder. So if you are already unhealthy or you get sick, you are much more likely to be fucked. Plus the operation was no doubt the exact opposite of sterile and clean; the surgery would have been rushed, ensuring infection and internal damage.

The problem isn't the lack of two kidnies, but rather the combined issues mentioned above.

Jan 22, 2011
Sacman said:
Really a kidney's worth that much?
*Looks at pocket knife...*
*Looks at Kidney...*
Hmm...<.<
oh hell yeah on the black market your organs alone worth a fortune which is why I think we should be allowed to legally sell a kidney if you want to. Hell it's huge felony here and don't even get me started on how people throw away life saving organs because they didn't donate or parents didn't sign off. I would sell mine with out a second thought so I could keep my house lawl

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Daaaah Whoosh said:
It's too bad Apple doesn't make kidneys...
Coming next year: iKidney 2.0 - Now thinner and faster!

I feel great shame that I had nothing better to do but make that image.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
This kind of surprises me from a scientific standpoint. I mean, people donate kidneys all the time, it's quite possible to live with just one. They must have screwed something up with the surgery (which, given the circumstances, is likely).

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Catalyst6 said:
This kind of surprises me from a scientific standpoint. I mean, people donate kidneys all the time, it's quite possible to live with just one. They must have screwed something up with the surgery (which, given the circumstances, is likely).
I'll just quote myself.

"It can. It just makes it harder. So if you are already unhealthy or you get sick, you are much more likely to be fucked. Plus the operation was no doubt the exact opposite of sterile and clean; the surgery would have been rushed, ensuring infection and internal damage.

The problem isn't the lack of two kidnies, but rather the combined issues mentioned above."

So yeah, 1 kidney is not good, but it's more about other issues.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Apple causes renal failure in young men. Google is giving away free ice cream and cake. 9 out of 10 Chinese youth prefer ice cream to pissing blood(sorry Wang). Buy Android.