Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Pulls Newest Game From Steam

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Pulls Newest Game From Steam

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1259/1259506.jpg

The creator of Five Nights at Freddy's has made the decision to pull his newest game, RPG FNaF World, from Steam.

originally scheduled to release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166051-FNAF-Creator-Apologizes-for-Releasing-Game-Too-Early#&gid=gallery_5484&pid=1] on February 19.

Today, however, Cawthon made the decision to pull FNaF World from Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/388090/announcements/detail/92689497772897600], stating that he has asked Valve to allow for refunds regardless of the amount of time the game has been owned. Moving forward, according to Cawthon, the game will "always be free"

The full statement can be read below:

"Hi everyone, I wanted to make a post about the fate of FNaF World. Even though the game had a "Very Positive" rating with 87%, I was not satisfied with the reviews and ratings it was getting.

For that reason, I've decided to remove the game from Steam. I've also asked Valve to make it so that the game can be refunded regardless of the amount of the time it has been owned, meaning that anyone can get a refund at any time. It may take them a while to set that up, but it will be in place soon.

I'm still going to work on FNaF World and polish it up. I'm busy creating a fully 3D overworld for the game. When I'm ready to update the game, I will replace the demo currently on GameJolt with the full game. From this point forward, the game will always be free.

I appreciate your support, and I encourage you all to refund your Steam game (even if you enjoyed the game), and download the new version when it becomes available on GameJolt. :)"

[gallery=5513]

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Wow, it's one thing to pull the game to fix it, it's another to just make it completely free afterwards. I may not like your games Scott but you definitely have my respect

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
Honestly, I'm impressed. I realize that Cawthon is rich enough that he really doesn't need the money generated by the game, but his response about an unfinished product was to refund the money it had earned, and then make it free. That's really impressive.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wow. Good on him for making it free and asking Valve to offer full refunds. Say what you will about his games, Scott is a decent developer who cares more about his fans and game quality than any AAA dev on the scene.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
Huh. I honestly don't know what to say here. I never bought the hype of the FNAF franchise and I can't say I approve of developers rushing out their games like he does, but there's something to be said about admitting to your mistakes (as quickly as he did no less), offering refunds and making the game free in the future.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Wow. This guy has ALL THE INTEGRITY.

Top guy here. Top guy.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Next we're gonna get a story about how he dove into frigid waters to save some old woman's cat or something.

Seriously, this guy's integrity stat is off the charts.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
In my last post on the previous story regarding this I said it's common for a company to say it's working to improve things and less so actually doing it. While I may not like his games simply out of personal taste (not because they're bad games) he now has my respect as a game developer. Should he make something that appeals to me I'll certainly buy it.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, that's definitely an unexpected development. Honestly I'm stunned. After years of triple A and even indie devs burning us with buggy games, intolerable delays, and unfinished products, here comes a guy that just goes "yeah, it wasn't done. I'm going to finish and then you can all just have it for free."

It's like he's from a different planet.

I'll probably just go and buy all of his games now just to support him (I didn't before because I'm too jumpy to play a game built around jumpscares). Still really stunned, though.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
...no tirade against piracy somehow being responsible? No bruised-ego meltdown on social media? No withdrawing all his games from sale and declaring himself no longer a game creator? Just an acknowledgement of his mistake, a full refund for everyone who bought it no matter how long they played (and what kind of pull do you need to have with Valve to get them to agree to THAT), and a promise to re-release the game for free once it's up to his expectations?

Is... is this even allowed to happen?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Looks like CD Projekt Red has a run for their money. Quick CD Projekt Red make The Witcher 3 free for a month. That'll show people not to out integrity you.

In all seriousness though good on him.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
chocolate pickles said:
Again: if a triple A stupid pulled a stunt similar to this, people would flip out.
Admitedly, if a Triple A Studio would pull a game and re-release it later free (or at least a lot cheaper) with improvements AND allowing full refunds permanently, I think people would flip out due the whole thing being even more unusual than this.

Well, I did want to get the game on a sale, anyway. Now I just get it when it's re-released.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
chocolate pickles said:
Again: if a triple A stupid pulled a stunt similar to this, people would flip out.
Reminds me similarly to the Arkham Knight fiasco. Okay fair enough they didn't offer the game for free but they did offer unconditional refunds, pulled the game and tried hard to fix it. Everyone lost their nut over it.

It always worked for me, admittedly it's better now but I know the first major patch to try getting it to work wasn't universally received and haven't really followed since.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Say what you want about his games...that they're all gimmicky, all the same, nothing but jump-scare simulators, whatever. One thing we can all agree on, though, is that Scott is straight-up a good guy and a developer that truly cares about his fans.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Say what you want about his games...that they're all gimmicky, all the same, nothing but jump-scare simulators, whatever. One thing we can all agree on, though, is that Scott is straight-up a good guy and a developer that truly cares about his fans.
You never played any of his FNAF games, did you? They're not all the same, the basic mechanics are entirely different in each game.
And the jumpscares are "just there" only in the third game - every other, they mean YOU DIED. Meaning you only get one per game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bindal said:
RJ 17 said:
You never played any of his FNAF games, did you?
Personally I'm a fan of Scott's, however I can definitely understand how his games might not appeal to others. I was simply listing off the most common complaints you tend to hear about the FNaF games and saying despite this surely everyone can agree that he's a great guy and that more developers should handle their business the way he handles his.

To be clear: that list of complaints is not my own.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Ralancian said:
chocolate pickles said:
Reminds me similarly to the Arkham Knight fiasco. Okay fair enough they didn't offer the game for free but they did offer unconditional refunds, pulled the game and tried hard to fix it. Everyone lost their nut over it.

It always worked for me, admittedly it's better now but I know the first major patch to try getting it to work wasn't universally received and haven't really followed since.
From my understanding wasn't Arkham Knight literally unplayable for most people? Like, you couldn't even boot it up or do anything in it? I think that's slightly worse than a game that's not finished. I didn't ever buy it/play it because of what I heard so I may be wrong though.

But good on him for giving full refunds then making the game free, I like this guy. Like many people here I never played any of his other games just because they're not my style, but he seems like he has some integrity.