FLAMETHROWERS!!!

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
They were tough to lug around, expensive to produce and if one got shot and it exploded, it could kill more then just the person carrying it. They were a danger not only to the person that they were targeting, but also to their own men.

dehawaiiansupaman

Jan 2, 2008
Its already been said but its partially due to the fact that strapping on a tank of napalm makes you one giant fireball waiting to happen. Also I vaguely remember how back in the world wars that captured flamethrower users were usually executed due to the terror of the weapon. Sorta like how snipers aren't usually captured. That and advancing technology made it an obsolete weapon.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Blindswordmaster said:
Why did we stop using flamethrowers? They were developed to fight against opponents what were rooted in caves, it would seem to me that they would be perfectly suited for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fellow Escapists, do you have any explanations?
Because they broke God knows how many NATO violations, such as "inhumane weaponry". Sure, tell me of a single weapon that can be described as "humane", but it still doesn't change the reason they stopped using them.

EDIT: Pretty much like white phosphorus grenades were also thought to be very controversial in the Iraq war.
DOUBLE EDIT: Here, found it:
"Flamethrowers have not been in the U.S. arsenal since 1978, when the Department of Defense unilaterally stopped using them. They have been deemed of questionable effectiveness in modern combat and the use of flame weapons is always a public relations issue due to the horrific death they inflict. They are not banned in any international treaty the U.S. has signed. Thus, the U.S. decision to remove flamethrowers from its arsenal is entirely voluntary."

Hope to have been of help!

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Mad World said:
They're also so inhumane, so I'm glad that we no longer use them.
As if someone on the Escapist would worry about that. No, we're too kewl and edgy, just shooting someone to death definetly isn't enough.

Scolar Visari said:
Wow, guess I have to fucking say it again since nobody listens.

Flamethrowers did not ignite when shot. There are two tanks to keep the mixture separated before dispersion.

Also we never did stop. Flamethrowers are still in use today to clear out thick brush that may be used for concealment.
Ooooh my. Nobody listens, indeeed. But that dosen't cancel out "big fat target" problem anyway.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Flamethrowers are still used for bush and ground cleariung, but as an ap weapon ..... well ... we have far better weapons to create mass casualties.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Why hasn't anyone listened to the intelligent man up top who seems to understand these weapons better than most? Scolar Visari, I've read your posts and have come up with a response that hopefully adds something new to this dissusion.

OT: I believe that flamethrowers are very, for lack of a better word, 'cool' weapons. When we see a group of men armed with these oversized barbeque lighters approaching soldiers in war films, terror seems to stretch aforementioned soldiers' faces into extremely horrific shapes. That is, until their faces are melted off. This makes it look like 'he who wields the flamethrower becomes the ultimate badass of the battlefield', and automatically sparks admiration. So, understanding this, I think I can see why people often bring up it's absence. To be honest, I believe that if we put some serious effort into it we could make a much more versatile 'thrower that could potentially light up dozens of yards and use only a moderate amount of fuel, thus making it actually useful again. To me though, they will always just be weapons of fear. The weapon didn't so much kill men as it did kill their spirit and will to fight. Fifteen seconds might feel like an awfully long time to have to dodge one of them mothers, and I have a feeling that if you watched a buddy get melted right beside your position you wouldn't be so quick to charge out next time. Just in case they came back again.
Not that it matters anyway. As a fellow above me pointed out, the Swiss made sure that serious kill counts were pretty hard to achieve in war. Particularly with *painful* weapons. Pansies. -F

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Scolar Visari said:
Wow, guess I have to fucking say it again since nobody listens.

Flamethrowers did not ignite when shot. There are two tanks to keep the mixture separated before dispersion.

Also we never did stop. Flamethrowers are still in use today to clear out thick brush that may be used for concealment.
It's funny how this pretty much wraps up the thread and you've had to say it twice.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Fingerlicking said:
Why hasn't anyone listened to the intelligent man up top who seems to understand these weapons better than most? Scolar Visari, I've read your posts and have come up with a response that hopefully adds something new to this dissusion.

OT: I believe that flamethrowers are very, for lack of a better word, 'cool' weapons. When we see a group of men armed with these oversized barbeque lighters approaching soldiers in war films, terror seems to stretch aforementioned soldiers' faces into extremely horrific shapes. That is, until their faces are melted off. This makes it look like 'he who wields the flamethrower becomes the ultimate badass of the battlefield', and automatically sparks admiration. So, understanding this, I think I can see why people often bring up it's absence. To be honest, I believe that if we put some serious effort into it we could make a much more versatile 'thrower that could potentially light up dozens of yards and use only a moderate amount of fuel, thus making it actually useful again. To me though, they will always just be weapons of fear. The weapon didn't so much kill men as it did kill their spirit and will to fight. Fifteen seconds might feel like an awfully long time to have to dodge one of them mothers, and I have a feeling that if you watched a buddy get melted right beside your position you wouldn't be so quick to charge out next time. Just in case they came back again.
Not that it matters anyway. As a fellow above me pointed out, the Swiss made sure that serious kill counts were pretty hard to achieve in war. Particularly with *painful* weapons. Pansies. -F
Because even if you were to create a more compact version, given an AK ahas a 30 count magazine, what are the chances that one or two bullets is going to find the guy running up to the cave mouth?

Flamethrowers were useful in WW2 ... why? because alot of combat towards the end in both theatres was in jungle and urban environments where A soldier was just as likely to get into a ranged combat situation as he was going to find himself within close quarters of an enemy unit.

Giving Afghanistan is a whole lot of NOTHING what are the chances an enemy unit is going to put two bullets into the guy running towards them?

Yarggg

Apr 17, 2010
What I reckon is that they stopped using them in games is because they are just the awesome.
Modern Warfare 2 for instance; if you had a Flamethrower in that. it just wouldn't be fun anymore. everyone would have one and it would be a waste of time.

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
SlowShootinPete said:
I still can't figure out why we stopped using nerve gas.
Because that shit had a nasty tendency of killing the people who we didn't mean to kill including our own. And oh yeah, its a lot more merciless than two rounds to the chest...

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
Made this thread a long time ago.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.170877-Is-a-flamethrower-a-practical-weapon-these-days?page=1

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Mad World said:
They're also so inhumane, so I'm glad that we no longer use them.
And blowing someone head off from 700 yards with a bullet the size of a hamster isn't?

And blowing a jeep up with a bomb laced in nails that's buried in the roadside isn't?

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
Blindswordmaster said:
Why did we stop using flamethrowers? They were developed to fight against opponents what were rooted in caves, it would seem to me that they would be perfectly suited for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fellow Escapists, do you have any explanations?
I asked the same question in Basic Training to a Drill Sergeant. (Without the tactical speculation, just asked why we stopped using flame-throwers.)

I was told that they weren't as effective video games made them appear to be, they are extremely heavy, and they aren't fuel efficient. Thats what I was told anyway. I gotta say I wouldn't have wanted to lug around a flame-thrower.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
We have better suited weapons and the Flamethrower while awesome is obsolete in the real world. In videogames and books however they exist in abundant amounts.

SlowShootinPete

Apr 21, 2010
GL2814E said:
SlowShootinPete said:
I still can't figure out why we stopped using nerve gas.
Because that shit had a nasty tendency of killing the people who we didn't mean to kill including our own. And oh yeah, its a lot more merciless than two rounds to the chest...
I was being facetious.

Me55enger said:
And blowing someone head off from 700 yards with a bullet the size of a hamster isn't?
Most of the people who have their head blown off by a Barrett don't notice.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Because flamethrowers have been relocated to fight man-kinds only natural predator.... KILLER BEES!!!! AAAAH!!! I can hear the buzzing!!! kill it with fire!!!!!