FLAMETHROWERS!!!

GL2814E

Feb 16, 2010
SlowShootinPete said:
GL2814E said:
SlowShootinPete said:
I still can't figure out why we stopped using nerve gas.
Because that shit had a nasty tendency of killing the people who we didn't mean to kill including our own. And oh yeah, its a lot more merciless than two rounds to the chest...
I was being facetious.

Me55enger said:
And blowing someone head off from 700 yards with a bullet the size of a hamster isn't?
Most of the people who have their head blown off by a Barrett don't notice.

My mistake. Hopefully you can understand with some of the posters on some of the forums how I would be mistaken.

Chaos-Spider

Dec 18, 2009
TheTim said:
well there is a few reasons,

they are inefficien, they do not last long and are very heavy.
they have a very short range.
if one fuel tank takes a bullet it explodes and kills everyone within 5 meters.
and we developed a thing called a thermoberic bomb. which is flamethrower heat x500.
Hasn't your third point been disproved time and time again on Mythbusters?

Also, Flamethrowers don't sound like they're very precice, so they would probably cause a media nightmare with the number of civilian deaths and 'friendly fire' incidents that they would cause it was probably considered more cost efficient not to have them.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
That's a very good point, which is why I said we're probably *capable* of making a compact version. I didn't say we should use it. I also don't believe we should view them as murder weapons so much as weapons that severely decrease enemy morale. If we fought a conflict located in a mostly urban or plant infested area, perhaps we could use them again. If only in rare cases, and with a select few. Until that day comes, I'm not much bothered by it's continued absence or possible re-emergance. I'm content to relax at home knowing that there is currently no draft, which means that even if it did come back I probably wouldn't get melted personally. I like my skin un-toasted and supple, please and thanks. -F

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
FreelanceButler said:
Scolar Visari said:
Wow, guess I have to fucking say it again since nobody listens.

Flamethrowers did not ignite when shot. There are two tanks to keep the mixture separated before dispersion.

Also we never did stop. Flamethrowers are still in use today to clear out thick brush that may be used for concealment.
It's funny how this pretty much wraps up the thread and you've had to say it twice.
This.

Seriously... There are so many people who don't read all the posts (or, apparently, even the first page) before posting, in almost every thread.

This can get kind of tiresome after a while. :S

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
FreelanceButler said:
Scolar Visari said:
Wow, guess I have to fucking say it again since nobody listens.

Flamethrowers did not ignite when shot. There are two tanks to keep the mixture separated before dispersion.

Also we never did stop. Flamethrowers are still in use today to clear out thick brush that may be used for concealment.
It's funny how this pretty much wraps up the thread and you've had to say it twice.
This.

Seriously... There are so many people who don't read all the posts (or, apparently, even the first page) before posting, in almost every thread.

This can get kind of tiresome after a while. :S

OT: Basically, I agree with Scolar Visari.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Who fights up close these days?

There allways about half a mile away from each other.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Me55enger said:
Mad World said:
They're also so inhumane, so I'm glad that we no longer use them.
And blowing someone head off from 700 yards with a bullet the size of a hamster isn't?

And blowing a jeep up with a bomb laced in nails that's buried in the roadside isn't?
First one isn't, as the person in question will never even know being shot. The second, of course, is. That's one of the biggest advantages insurgents have over 'us'; they're barely hampered by moral codes and wipe their ass with things like the Geneva Convention. That's what I always thought we didn't need an army over there, but small groups of Special Forces, CIA operatives and the likes to search them out and kick their asses.

Doesn't make flamethrowers any less retarded. They're great to clear bunkers and trenches with, but we're not not waging wars that require those tactics (as cave systems are way more complicated and bigger) plus it's been superseded by better weapons for clearing bunkers, like this baby:

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Mad World said:
Because perforating people with rounds that tears and shreds them from the inside is much more 'humane'.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
SlowShootinPete said:
I still can't figure out why we stopped using nerve gas.
I think there was some kind of human rights thing against it.

Flamethrowers on the other hand would be great for close quarter gun battles where soldiers need to clear out a house in double quick time

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Mad World said:
Yes, because being riddled with around 15 hollow point or armor piercing bullets is so much better.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Mad World said:
But dying from a gun shot wound is perfectly expectable? All is fair in love and war.

On topic. It has already been answered many times, would you like to be carrying a flamethrower in Iraq? ..... And neither would I.

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Fingerlicking said:
That's a very good point, which is why I said we're probably *capable* of making a compact version. I didn't say we should use it. I also don't believe we should view them as murder weapons so much as weapons that severely decrease enemy morale. If we fought a conflict located in a mostly urban or plant infested area, perhaps we could use them again. If only in rare cases, and with a select few. Until that day comes, I'm not much bothered by it's continued absence or possible re-emergance. I'm content to relax at home knowing that there is currently no draft, which means that even if it did come back I probably wouldn't get melted personally. I like my skin un-toasted and supple, please and thanks. -F
Interestingly enough, flamethrowers are not illegal in the United States (for the most part). There are no federal laws regulating them and only about 10 state laws that regulate them. Just thought it would be a fun fact to share! =)

foodmaniac

Mar 2, 2010
Yarggg said:
What I reckon is that they stopped using them in games is because they are just the awesome.
Modern Warfare 2 for instance; if you had a Flamethrower in that. it just wouldn't be fun anymore. everyone would have one and it would be a waste of time.
Clearly you haven't played TF2 before. The Pyro has a flamethrower, but every other person who's not a Pyro can still outmatch him. There's more to using a flamethrower and holding 'w' and left click, and there are many ways to counter it.

Apr 25, 2009
To Laxman9292

'Retard Point No.1 Refute'
I meant impractical in modern combat, where we have missiles that a rifleman can launch from any place that can level a building in one shot, or gunship support that can clear a whole street in seconds. Oh hell, flamethrowers and gas worked a charm in WW1 and WW2. But don't you think our society (not to mention technology) has developed just a bit further in respect to the esteem in which we hold life? We are supposed to be the most advanced species in the universe according to some. Being advanced mean more than having the best technology.

'Retard Point No.2 Refute'
I can tell you right now I know dozens of people who think war and guns are 'awesome' and there are quite a few examples right here in this thread.

'Retard Point No.3 Refute'
Yes, but as wealthy, intelligent and secure countries we can rest easy in the knowledge that our next paycheck will come from somewhere. We have the luxuries of laws, and the curse of being expected to follow them. These countries you are talking about are desolate, poor and desperate. Groups and organisations will do anything to tip the balance of power in their favour.

'Retard Point No.4 Refute'
It is an EXTREMELY common stereotype that Americans love their weapons. You can't deny it. I know Germany first invented the flamethrower, and yes, for the time, it was effective and necessary, unfortunately so.
I apologise for any national prejudices.

'Retard Point No.5 Refute'
Explosions and gunfire going everywhere in modern warfare? A few guys with AK47s holed up in a house together would hardly constitute this. Soldiers don't spray gunfire everywhere like maniacs, they wait for an ideal shot. Our soldiers, both American and Australian are trained to take their targets down with one or two shots. We are fighting militia who, even if they were shot in a non-vital organ, would most likely lose discipline and run for it.
Also, it's the rules of engagement that our soldiers are NOT allowed to shoot casualties.

Yes I got angry, but when I see people wondering why we don't still use weapons that bring horrific and unneeded agony I feel like I'm the only one with any sanity.

Huupertti

Dec 3, 2009
Short range, heavy, inhumane and if somebody shoots in the magical gas tank it magically explodes...