Flashpoint

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Vanguard1219 said:
... well, this comic strip started to get dark really fucking fast...
Agreed. But I´m not against it. In fact, I kinda dig it. I´ve always been a big fan the idea of making whacky characters talk about serious stuff inbetween the whacky bits. It makes the characters feel less like Snarky Mcsnarksnark and more like actual people with problems and emotions who just happend to snark a whole lot.

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
The final expression of the guy doesn't so much scream 'rage', than it does 'I have no muscles in my face'

Edit: I just hope it doesn't come down with B^U syndrome.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
It's not the same without Gray writing a long winded post saying how console near misses are much harder on the man than the woman, followed by banning everyone's who dares question his story line from the forums and then Editing Name Games Wiki page to just read "Elisa is a fag"

I don't know, there is something so mature and enjoyable about this story line that means it cant be a serious story line on a web comic...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Considering she did this on the "sound" advice of Kratos, I'd have to say that definitely qualifies as crazy.
And who are you to question the wisdom of a god?

THAT'S RIGHT, NOT A GOD. His wisdom is obviously superior to ours.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
craddoke said:
So, I think that throw counts as a ....

Critical Miss.
xD

Very good.

OT...Ehm? Nothing much? Wth is going on in Critical miss lately anyway :S

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
erttheking said:
Am I the only one that is thinking that this is steadily coming down with Cerberus Syndrom?
No, you're not the only one. I feel as if this strip is out of character for Critical Miss.

Sandytimeman said:
actually it makes perfect sense why she did that. I know, for a life time of therapy. When someone calls you crazy and you are struggling with problems...it makes you mad, makes you feel like your less of a person than them.

Mental illness and trauma are not the victims fault but people still blame them anyway...and thats what mol is doing right now.

Also those meds generally have very harsh side effects, its usually just trying to feel more normal when you take them, rather then wanting to feel special. I've had some harsh side effects on those meds, severe depression, shakes, outbursts of uncontrollable anger, severe weight loss, and etc.
Yeah, I agree completely. Maybe Critical Miss should just politely stop pursuing this issue. I think at first the whole video game hallucinations thing was amusing and in good taste, but now it's threatening to misrepresent people with mental illnesses.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
MammothBlade said:
erttheking said:
Am I the only one that is thinking that this is steadily coming down with Cerberus Syndrom?
No, you're not the only one. I feel as if this strip is out of character for Critical Miss.

Sandytimeman said:
actually it makes perfect sense why she did that. I know, for a life time of therapy. When someone calls you crazy and you are struggling with problems...it makes you mad, makes you feel like your less of a person than them.

Mental illness and trauma are not the victims fault but people still blame them anyway...and thats what mol is doing right now.

Also those meds generally have very harsh side effects, its usually just trying to feel more normal when you take them, rather then wanting to feel special. I've had some harsh side effects on those meds, severe depression, shakes, outbursts of uncontrollable anger, severe weight loss, and etc.
Yeah, I agree completely. Maybe Critical Miss should just politely stop pursuing this issue. I think at first the whole video game hallucinations thing was amusing and in good taste, but now it's threatening to misrepresent people with mental illnesses.
While I understand where you're coming from, I think that if this is the direction they want to go, to at leaast upset the apple cart a bit so things go somewhere new instead the usual 'Erin's crazyness is just an endearing quirk' it's all good. And hey, who's to say that she can't be a high functioning crazy person.

In a semi related topic, if you've seen the series "United States of Tara" you may understand how this can be done in good taste.

C-Mag

Jun 17, 2011
A lot of people bemoaning the comic 'coming down' with Cerberus Syndrome. And some other people expressing support.

I myself am among the latter group. I very much enjoyed the car crash arc, and I think that the characters have a good amount of dramatic potential to mine. I'm actually happy with the new level of depth that the comic seems to be entering. I'm not saying I want it to be grimdarkdepressing, that's not entertaining at all, humour is still and important part. But.... yeah. Good luck! (I hope I didn't come across as some kind of coffee drinking artsy type, I just love stories, art for me is actually not that interesting.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
C-Mag said:
A lot of people bemoaning the comic 'coming down' with Cerberus Syndrome. And some other people expressing support.
Actually, I think Erin is being indoctrinated.

The first stage of indoctrination involves NO PANTS.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
MammothBlade said:
erttheking said:

Sandytimeman said:

Actually I was saying I liked it, I just understood her reactions is all and was explaining why I would have reacted the same.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Did anyone else no-
Hey wait I get what you did there. You guys made it so their panties changed every other panel to see how many people noticed then commented, so you guys could find out how many perv there are on here.

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
soren7550 said:
wintercoat said:
Sandytimeman said:

Especially when it feels like they're taunting you with it. Lashing out feels like the only thing you can do, so you do it. And afterwords, you feel like shit because you proved them right, which makes you feel like even less.
I'm with you two dudes. Pretty much was I was thinking, going from personal experience and all that (locked away in a psych ward for 2 1/2 weeks for something that didn't happen, and completely ostracized by my family because of it [didn't help that my mother was the one that put me there because her boyfriend wanted me out], among other things).

But then again, she dose think video game characters are talking to her.
I just felt I should pop in to point out that the last situation there isn't really the same as Erin's. Yes, people can actually be incarcerated and drugged against their will without trial and without having even been suspected of an actual crime, purely on the word of an expert in a field that basically operates off of medieval science (experiments with no controls, researchers are not expected to be able to predict anything, etc. etc.). That's terrifying. For people who've actually been incarcerated over it, that's potentially traumatic and these people might freak out from accusations of insanity even if they're very stable otherwise, because an accusation of insanity is a pretty damn significant threat.

But...Erin's not actually been institutionalized, there's no particular reason to believe she's aware of any of this. So.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Maldeus said:
soren7550 said:
wintercoat said:
Sandytimeman said:

Especially when it feels like they're taunting you with it. Lashing out feels like the only thing you can do, so you do it. And afterwords, you feel like shit because you proved them right, which makes you feel like even less.
I'm with you two dudes. Pretty much was I was thinking, going from personal experience and all that (locked away in a psych ward for 2 1/2 weeks for something that didn't happen, and completely ostracized by my family because of it [didn't help that my mother was the one that put me there because her boyfriend wanted me out], among other things).

But then again, she dose think video game characters are talking to her.
I just felt I should pop in to point out that the last situation there isn't really the same as Erin's. Yes, people can actually be incarcerated and drugged against their will without trial and without having even been suspected of an actual crime, purely on the word of an expert in a field that basically operates off of medieval science (experiments with no controls, researchers are not expected to be able to predict anything, etc. etc.). That's terrifying. For people who've actually been incarcerated over it, that's potentially traumatic and these people might freak out from accusations of insanity even if they're very stable otherwise, because an accusation of insanity is a pretty damn significant threat.

But...Erin's not actually been institutionalized, there's no particular reason to believe she's aware of any of this. So.
No, she's aware that it's in her head. Or at least was when she first started seeing them. And if I remember right, she was taking her pills for a time, but stated that they weren't working.

Also, after the car crash, they could of placed her in the hospital's psych ward due to the hallucinations.

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
That Erin's aware they're in her head makes it all kinds of weird, because as far as I know that's really unusual. But that wasn't my point.

And if Erin got traumatized by a psych ward, I'm pretty sure we'd know about it.

theLadyBugg

May 24, 2010
MammothBlade said:
erttheking said:

Sandytimeman said:

I actually read this strip and identified with it better than I have to other "quirky mental illness" characters. That moment when you know it's in your head, but you can't stop it, and somebody close to you not only calls you crazy, but outright accuses you of exacerbating the problem because you don't want to be ordinary? I've been in that moment. And my rage-to-shame conversion took way longer than Erin's.

I know that this isn't where the comic started, and it's not what I was looking for when I came reading, but I've never been more invested in seeing how this plays out. Hopefully I'm not such the minority interest that it drops away "politely".