Florida Man Killed for His Magic Cards

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Florida Man Killed for His Magic Cards

The victim was a pillar of the Magic community in the area.

We've all been there. When I was a kid, I coveted the 8-bit Nintendo systems my friends and neighbors had and the baseball cards my buddy's dad proudly displayed were worth a pretty penny. A pair of adults took those covetous thoughts for another man's collection way too far. In August, two men broke into 30 year old Sean Dugas' house in Pensacola, Florida, beat him to death and took his collection of Magic cards. Police estimated the collection was worth up to $100,000, including a Black Lotus card with $10,000 on its own.

The police have just now pieced together the chain of events. After breaking in to Dugas' house, killing him and stealing the cards, twin brothers William and Christopher Cormier took the victim's body with them. The pair buried the body in a backyard in Georgia, where they were eventually apprehended. William Cormier, 31, is charged with the murder of Dugas.

The Magic community in Pensacola is shocked. "We've been doing this for 26 years, and we've never even had a fight," said Ed Nehring, the owner of a comics and gaming store in Pensacola where Magic players sometimes congregate to play.

Many of the players in the area would consult with Dugas on strategy or to borrow cards. "He was a dominant figure in the Magic community," one of the players said. "When news came of his death, it shook all of us."

While this is certainly a tragedy, I really hope this news doesn't degrade into painting Magic as a deviant influence on our youth. In any pastime, there will be people who do bad things. That doesn't mean the activity itself is the cause.

Source: WTSP [http://www.wtsp.com/news/watercooler/article/280396/58/Friendship-money-greed-meet-in-fantasy-card-game-Magic]

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
What a waste... to be killed for some cards from a game. Even if they were worth a lot.

It's just... sad that this man died for something so small.

Rochnan

Dec 2, 2008
Ukomba said:
Clearly, that's because of the satanic connection magic cards have.
Yes! Let's grab our pitchforks and protest against these infernal cardboard cards! >:D

Anyway, I like that one of the cards in the picture is fan-made.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Clearly its not just video games that need to be banned its ALL GAMES!
How many people need to die before society wakes up to the EVIL known as Scrabble?

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
(Just not in a pedophilic way)

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Sarcasm is lost on morons, guys, stop using it before they really do start a coalition of Dickheads Against Magic.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I'm always amazed at the value of things people keep in their house, whether it's collectibles, financial instruments, precious metals or straight up cash. If someone finds out you've got tens of thousands of dollars worth of highly portable items in your possession, you're a target, and I hope you have good security.

You can't hope for right thinking and good sense to protect you, since the kind of people who commit these crimes clearly aren't known for their forethought. Even if they'd stolen the cards free and clear without murdering him, trying to unload cards of that rarity would have been more than a little difficult.

Such a sad day for the MtG community, and gamers in general, when someone who loved their hobby so much was killed in such a cold-blooded fashion.

captcha: Double whammy? Really captcha?

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Flamezdudes said:
What a waste... to be killed for some cards from a game. Even if they were worth a lot.

I hope I don't come as trying to start something, but I don't like this train of thought for multiple reasons.

For one people have been killed for less than a 100 grand. It's got nothing to do with the cards.

Secondly what makes killing for a phone, ring, picture, a car... whatever any "better" than killing for cards? (because that's what the statement implies)

Lastly different things have different values to people. Some people hold magic cards in high regard, for others it's pictures, for others it's games or ideals.

It's not sad that the man got killed because it was over cards. It's sad that the man got killed just because someone wanted something and thought it was worth someone else's life.
The fact that it was magic cards is more or less insignificant.

Again, I'm not trying to start an argument I just feel that this is the same train of thought that people get on when they imply that video games are responsible for "bad things" or when they say "...oh it's just a game...".
Calling (what was obviously this man's passion) "small" also comes across as belittling a little bit.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Flamezdudes said:

A 100 grand isn't small. What does it matter if it is from cards?

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I've played with Sean before, and while I didn't know him personally, he seemed like a good guy (though he tended to have decks that would frustrate you to no end). As to some previous comments, all murder is senseless. His is no different. I don't know the brothers that killed him, but I've been told from the guys they played with Sean in Pensacola.

Anyway, if you are bad off, or just desperate, at least the person with their life intact. There is no reason to kill someone for something so trivial, or for anything at all (with the exception of self defense, though if everyone followed those rules there would be no need for it).

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Well, that lad is in heaven now. Sexually servicing a suicide bomber.

On a serious note though, murdering over some cards(albiet, some very highly valued cards)? What a bunch of cunts... I mean, lets be honest: Murdering over ANYTHING is fucking retarded, but this is up there with "They insulted my prophet by drawing him" and "God hates fags" in terms of levels of retard.

SlamDunc

Aug 17, 2012
This sounds like a "Worth a lot of money." thing than a "We want it." sort of thing.

Edit: And just saying 100,000 dollars is not a small amount of money. People can be hired to kill for less.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I have no words. I just hope Avacyn comes down, takes her Silvermoon Spear and shoves it up the twins' a-holes.

They print money every day. This guy was a limited edition. My heart goes to the parents. Being dedicated enough to have a fucking Black Lotus, Sean must have been a blast to hang out with.

Jamiethejedi

May 15, 2012
So the twins knew him and played with him? How can you meet and play with a person and pretend to be their friend whist you secretly plot to murder them? They must have had some fucked up lives. Dicks

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Christ, I remember when a Black Lotus was worth less than $350! Has inflation set in or what?

Why is only one of them being charged with murder?