Florida Man Killed for His Magic Cards

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
inb4 extremist parents blaming videogames for the violence. Somehow.

OT: Well...it certainly isn't the dead man's fault. Sure, if someone manages to have a card collection that's valued at $100k, that's a bit worrying. But whatever, he isn't hurting anyone. But I can see how someone might want to get their hands on his card collection.

I wonder how the criminals found out about his collection and the value on the cards. Was the victim showing off about it or were they also fans of the game?
Well, that's irrelevant at any rate...

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
That is not funny,
Entirely a matter of opinion.

and isn't called for. What made you think that second part was appropriate?
What made you think I thought it would be appropriate? The whole joke comes from it's level of inappropriateness.

Bad form I say, bad form.
*shrug*, not a single fuck was given.

I believe that either everything is okay to make fun of, or nothing is.

It was a senseless, horrible, and pointless death, and I fully hope that the two individuals responsible for this murder spend a very, very long time in prison for their crimes - doesn't mean I'm not going to give myself a chuckle with a family guy reference if one pops into my head.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
TyrunnAlberyn said:
katsabas said:
I have no words. I just hope Avacyn comes down, takes her Silvermoon Spear and shoves it up the twins' a-holes.

They print money every day. This guy was a limited edition. My heart goes to the parents. Being dedicated enough to have a fucking Black Lotus, Sean must have been a blast to hang out with.
I can't be the only one who'd rather see these guys dealt with by the likes of... say, Rakdos. He seems like the type who'd go for an eternal suffering in his hellish carnival deal.

Getting killed for your money or property is always a sad matter. In this case, it indeed does not matter that it was Magic cards given the high value of the total collection, but it's still a sad, sad thing to lose your life over.
Plus he'd be more into sodomizing people with spiky and/or pointy objects than Avacyn who's arguably more about the clean smiting. What jerks. Can't they go for drug dealing like an other honourable criminal rather than killing people for their passion.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
Greets!

This sort of thing is too common. If they were wanting to steal his very valuable collection of cards from him, they didn't have to kill him for it. This smells more like a premeditated murder with the benefit of the cards, than a straight up 'whoops I accidently killed him' gig.

Maybe these guys didn't like how he played or they had their asses handed to them one too many times? Doesn't matter really, he didn't deserve to have his life taken from him in this way, for something that can be considered petty, even if highly valuable playing cards are involved.

I hope the guys that did it got the full force of the law, I know the one going to prison might get the full... Uhm... Force.... from behind... by an aggressive magic player... in the showers.

Soap, anyone?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
They didn't just beat him, bury him in concrete and steal all his Magic cards, they also U-Hauled all his stuff (not including the TV) out of his home and told neighbours something about Dugas being 'beaten' and going to 'live with them'.

Not the brightest of the bunch, it seems.

As for the fear of having MtG having any connection with murder death kill rampages - no, there's absolutely no connection beyond the fact that Mr. Dugas' collection was worth a fortune and underachieving useless homicidal bottom feeders decided to go for a little 'all your stuff are belong to us now'.

There's really but little one can do to prevent this from happening, the best of all is this: If you're sitting on a fortune of something, anything, don't tell anyone, especially if you're not living in a fortress or the Tower of Doom.

I've sold almost all my MtG cards twice already, and I'm really considering cashing in my final stash of non-modern dual lands, but that's just not something I would want to handle over, say, Craigslist.

Oh, and one thing I've learned early that got stuck really well: Homo Homini Lupus. Love your fellow man, always treat your fellow man with utmost respect, but always be wary and alert, as you never know who'll turn out to be a liar, a backstabber or a thieving, murdering scumbag.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
TheSYLOH said:
Clearly its not just video games that need to be banned its ALL GAMES!
How many people need to die before society wakes up to the EVIL known as Scrabble?

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
(Just not in a pedophilic way)
<spoiler=think of the children>http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Kris/safety.png
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Kris/stop2.png

And I thought friendship was magic. I hate death, especially the death of people for personal gain.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Madgamer13 said:
Greets!

This sort of thing is too common. If they were wanting to steal his very valuable collection of cards from him, they didn't have to kill him for it. This smells more like a premeditated murder with the benefit of the cards, than a straight up 'whoops I accidently killed him' gig.

Maybe these guys didn't like how he played or they had their asses handed to them one too many times? Doesn't matter really, he didn't deserve to have his life taken from him in this way, for something that can be considered petty, even if highly valuable playing cards are involved.

I hope the guys that did it got the full force of the law, I know the one going to prison might get the full... Uhm... Force.... from behind... by an aggressive magic player... in the showers.

Soap, anyone?
That's all assumptions and conjecture.

Just look at the mugshots of the twin killers and compare it to photos of the young Gandalf Dugas, who died an untimely, violent death at age thirty. Mr. Dugas is/was someone interesting who I probably would have enjoyed playing against or sharing a pipe with, while the Cormier twins look pretty much like their biggest achievement was learning to roll a joint or tie their shoelaces. Now, I read that they met Dugas at some comic store, where they played MtG and bought/sold cards. Maybe they were actually having fun together, maybe they were looking for a victim. Who knows? At this point in time, I don't.

They don't look like they play Magic, they don't look like they do anything much beyond envying other people and coveting their stuff, really.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Madgamer13 said:
...snip...
That's all assumptions and conjecture.

Just look at the mugshots of the twin killers and compare it to photos of the young Gandalf Dugas, who died an untimely, violent death at age thirty. Mr. Dugas is/was someone interesting who I probably would have enjoyed playing against or sharing a pipe with, while the Cormier twins look pretty much like their biggest achievement was learning to roll a joint or tie their shoelaces. Now, I read that they met Dugas at some comic store, where they played MtG and bought/sold cards. Maybe they were actually having fun together, maybe they were looking for a victim. Who knows? At this point in time, I don't.

They don't look like they play Magic, they don't look like they do anything much beyond envying other people and coveting their stuff, really.
Greets!

Assuming someone's mentality through their appearance is also assumption and conjecture, if the logic you just utilised in your response was true to the point of fact, then these guys should be career criminals that would be long behind bars before ever meeting the late Mr Dugas, probably for murdering the local tesco cafe worker for not giving them the bigger mugs for their tea.

Besides, your response to me could be considered as much based on assumption as my post is, especially with, and I quote you: "Maybe they were actually having fun together, maybe they were looking for a victim. Who knows? At this point in time, I don't."

I dont know either, I certainly do not know the individuals in question, nor do I have exclusive access in the case itself. Ultimately, you've just ended up assuming like I have, saying the same thing I have said, from a slightly different angle.

SweetLiquidSnake

Jan 20, 2011
He was 30 and still played Magic? Are you sure they broke into his home and not his mother's basement??

This article should have read "Man Killed for over $100,000 worth of goods" but they put the cards in their to give it a hobbyist theme. And those 2 should be exterminated for killing in general, especially for such a stupid cause.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Madgamer13 said:
I dont know either, I certainly do not know the individuals in question, nor do I have exclusive access in the case itself. Ultimately, you've just ended up assuming like I have, saying the same thing I have said, from a slightly different angle.
Aye, I joined you in your game since it usually comes naturally and it's great fun.

To sum it up, I really do hope for a swift trial and hefty sentencing.

You know how to spot a hypocrite, which is already worth quite something in the harsh new modern 21st century world we live in.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
When did Black Lotus go from $400 to $10,000? I haven't played in a bit, granted, but sheesh that's quite a gain in value.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
man this is sad, I know the cards may have cost a lot but still this is going too far just too sell off some cards for cash.

OT Captcha: I'm Yours
Are you? ARE YOU?!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
That's bad, but it will blow over. To be honest it's just a case of people being after valuable property, if this was a coin, sport card, or comics, collection worth $100,000 it wouldn't be anywhere near as contreversial or attention getting. The guys were caught so I imagine this will be over soon.

For those concerned understand that worse has happened, and people more or less forgot about it:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/1999-11-11/news/18117607_1_pokemon-cards-pocket-monsters-stabbed

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/1999/10/27/Pokemon991027.html

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Boy%2c+15%2c+kills+pal+in+Pokemon+row.-a063660108

Pokemon survived, despite numerous cases of violence and murder involving minors, if you dig you can probably find more. Heck, Pokemon even famously accidently murdered a bunch of kids via seizures with one of their TV episodes.

In short "Magic: The Gathering" will survive, though to be honest I think that fad is a bit past it's prime despite a number of adherants. I doubt it will attract as much contreversy even in the short term that Pokemon did, especially seeing as your dealing with it being a game increasingly played by adults who simply aged with it, as opposed to Pokemon which has it's middle-aged and adult players, but still brings in lots of children and new players into the franchise every year.

Just my thoughts.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Life imprisonment for each twin; that's the minimum sentence I'm expecting if authorities ever catch them.
Sick bastards.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Agent Larkin said:
Dammit Graham. Your taking this Magic shit too far.
omg I feel so bad for bursting out in laughter after seeing this

but ahem no this is serious guys lol...no reward (in gaming) is worth this. even if those cards are worth a lot

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
While this is certainly a tragedy, I really hope this news doesn't degrade into painting Magic as a deviant influence on our youth. In any pastime, there will be people who do bad things. That doesn't mean the activity itself is the cause.
So far this is the only mention of it being blamed on the game... chill Winston.

Poor guy, happy he loved his hobby so much though, and found so much happiness in it.