Football: Transfer deadline day

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Nightly Rabi said:
Yeah, though signing Berbatov certainly takes away the sting of losing Dempsey. That and Dempsey seems to have been a bit of a dick through the whole transfer ordeal.
That's true, but judging from opening day, hopefully we won't miss him that much. Kacaniklic looks like a pretty nifty player (to the extent of the commentator, Roger Johnson, I think it was..., going "Clint who?!").

Actually, I was surprised to learn that he was linked to Aston Villa earlier this afternoon, thinking why Villa?! It's hardly a step up from Fulham. Still, didn't manage to agree personal terms.

Anyway, bit of good news, Chelsea aren't looking that hot any more: 4-1 in the European Supercup, if that even means anything... *shrug* for all I like diMatteo.
Yeah they've started really well.
Yeah, I can't imagine he had any real intention of moving to Villa. Though it's just been confirmed he's completed the move to Spurs. Not sure why Liverpool wouldn't fork out the extra two million or so to get him themselves, especially considering the rediculous fees they paid last year.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Nightly Rabi said:
Yeah, I can't imagine he had any real intention of moving to Villa. Though it's just been confirmed he's completed the move to Spurs. Not sure why Liverpool wouldn't fork out the extra two million or so to get him themselves, especially considering the rediculous fees they paid last year.
Yeah, I know... s'like, they spent basically 7million on Charlie Adam! And he was nothing more than a benchwarmer last season. A part of me thinks that Dempsey didn't want to go there, anyway...

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
Nightly Rabi said:
Yeah, I know... s'like, they spent basically 7million on Charlie Adam! And he was nothing more than a benchwarmer last season. A part of me thinks that Dempsey didn't want to go there, anyway...
Seems like complete idiocy from Liverpool, shoving Carrol out the door without any replacement, they're in some trouble if anyone up front gets injured. Dempsey seemed pretty interested though I imagine any of the top teams would've sufficed.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
Spent the whole time I've been in spamming refresh on BBC site and occasionally wondering why there was no news for like an hour before I saw the link to the new page, and the time I was out shopping refreshing my twitter on my BB every nano-second (great way to walk into people in the street, but when they see you as something terrifying (ie a person under 40 with a goatee and a soul-less gaze) it gets pretty funny), and all day, all I was waiting for was for Middlesbrough to bring in a centre-back to cover for Rhys Williams (who's injured), a left-back to replace the departed Joe Bennett (who will be back down in the Championship with new club Villa cos they have so far looked worse than Beth Ditto) and the sale for a load of cash of Marvin Emnes, the often work-shy 'start' striker we have, who was redhot for a month last season, then spent the rest of it being scraped off the floor or just not giving a shit... and the sale of MacDonald since Mowbray now apparently hates him.

The only things that have distracted me today from this have been buying a new TV for when I move out (again), a few DVDs in charity shops, Zero Punctuation vids (where I go back on the other tab to check the news in between), playing Football Manager for a while where I blew £25m on a 20 year-old german kid who is cup-tied for my champions league matches (I spent as much on him as Man City did on the initial fees for a by-this-time-in-game 28 y/o Cristiano Ronaldo) and me failing to flirt with a girl inexplicably dressed as the Mad Hatter (she made eyes at me, I can't smile back, cos when I do, I look like a serial killer discovering a bulk sale on tarps, axes, bleach and chains).

Looking through deals that have happened, there's been a large sense of: seriously, what the fuck? Lloris going to Spurs for about the same price as a bus-ticket? Berbatov to Fulham (what the hell were Man U thinking, they treated him so badly after that amazing season he had the other year?). Liverpool having possibly the worst transfer policy in the history of football? Someone hide the scissors from Brendan Rodgers... Me getting carried away on shit that is only loosely linked? Wait, that's pretty fucking regular lately.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well all I can say is phew. Russell and GMS have stayed, despite the interest from down south. So I am definitely one happy chap tonight.

And despite Tottenham getting Lloris and Dempsey I think Fulham have pulled off the signing of the transfer window with Berbatov. If they manage to get him motivated, he will be on fire for them.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Nightly Rabi said:
Seems quite a few teams could do with a striker at the moment. Villa look pretty poor just now, but I imagine Lambert will steady the ship sooner or later.
Yeah, he's a good manager but I think its going to take a while to get us playing well again, hopefully the win in the week will give us a bit of confidence, but I can't see us getting a result against Newcastle.

SckizoBoy said:
Have you guys got anyone? 'Cos all I've heard is Charlie Adam-Stoke and Andy Carroll-West Ham... and someone else going on loan as well (Jay Spearing, is it?)
Yeah, we got Christian Benteke from Genk, Ashley Westwood from Crewe and Jordan Bowery from Chesterfield. Hopefully they can help turn our fortunes around, Lambert seems to be able to spot good players from the lower leagues.

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
Catfood220 said:
Nightly Rabi said:
Seems quite a few teams could do with a striker at the moment. Villa look pretty poor just now, but I imagine Lambert will steady the ship sooner or later.
Yeah, he's a good manager but I think its going to take a while to get us playing well again, hopefully the win in the week will give us a bit of confidence, but I can't see us getting a result against Newcastle.
Yeah, can't see a result against Newcastle. Don't think you'll have to worry about relegation despite hearing the idea getting thrown about though. Benteke seems like a good capture, and the fee seems decent enough considering his age.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
n00dle37 said:
As an Arsenal fan, I can only hope Wenger gets someone new. We don't exactly look champions league material at the moment.
Even when we do, we have this amazing ability to find ways to not play up to the level we should anyway.
Liverpool has had the same problem a few (read many) seasons now. We'll see which team flops tomorrow!

I'm pretty happy with the signings of the young lads (Yesil, Allen, Assaidi) and the loan deals we've managed to get.
Not too happy about Bellamy (althou I understand his situation) leaving and the sending Carroll on loan will most likely backfire. Also we sold away loads of players which I really liked (Kuyt and Maxi mainly) but Brendan Rodgers seem to know what he's doing so I'm putting my faith in him.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Nightly Rabi said:
Total LOLige said:
Well I'm glad that the Jenas to Sunderland deal is off he is utter shite. I'm hoping we sign another left back and centre back, even another striker would be nice. I'm sad to see El Mohamady go out on loan to Hull.
I've heard very little on Sunderland so far. Though Adam Johnson seems like a decent signing.
Really hope Johnson works hard and does well at Sunderland. He can be so much better than a benchwarmer at Man City, with effort and work.

Carroll apparently doing well for West Ham as I type. Hope he does well there too.

Charlie Adam should suit Stoke, horrible twat. I see that Rodgers is attempting to undo some of 'King' Kenny's hilarious transfer fuck ups. I'd wish him luck too, but it would be insincere as Liverpool have provided me with much entertainment recently.

Also, my dad has told me he heard on the radio that the man, the legend, Emile Heskey was having a medical at my team, Shrewsbury Town. I don't know whether to laugh or cry, or even if it's true at all. Its so surreal it could actually be true...

Nightly Rabi

Aug 3, 2012
Wadders said:
Nightly Rabi said:
Total LOLige said:
Well I'm glad that the Jenas to Sunderland deal is off he is utter shite. I'm hoping we sign another left back and centre back, even another striker would be nice. I'm sad to see El Mohamady go out on loan to Hull.
I've heard very little on Sunderland so far. Though Adam Johnson seems like a decent signing.
Really hope Johnson works hard and does well at Sunderland. He can be so much better than a benchwarmer at Man City, with effort and work.

Carroll apparently doing well for West Ham as I type. Hope he does well there too.

Charlie Adam should suit Stoke, horrible twat. I see that Rodgers is attempting to undo some of 'King' Kenny's hilarious transfer fuck ups. I'd wish him luck too, but it would be insincere as Liverpool have provided me with much entertainment recently.

Also, my dad has told me he heard on the radio that the man, the legend, Emile Heskey was having a medical at my team, Shrewsbury Town. I don't know whether to laugh or cry, or even if it's true at all. Its so surreal it could actually be true...
If Johnson decides to put in the work rate I can see it being a really good deal for Sunderland.

I can see Carroll doing well at West Ham, he'll fit perfectly into how Sam Allardyce plays. Was never really sure why Liverpool went in for him in the first place, good player, but not really suited to how they play.

Ha, there are really random rumours going about regarding Heskey, I can remember yesterday reading something about Celtic looking at him.

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
Nightly Rabi said:
I can see Carroll doing well at West Ham, he'll fit perfectly into how Sam Allardyce plays. Was never really sure why Liverpool went in for him in the first place, good player, but not really suited to how they play.
Aye, I was thinking that, fits the Allardyce mold perfectly a large target man who they can hoof the ball forward to and will reliably get on the end of balls.
I hope he does well, I always rated the guy and feel he could succeed without the monkey of a large transfer fee on his back.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Nightly Rabi said:
Wadders said:
Nightly Rabi said:
Total LOLige said:

If Johnson decides to put in the work rate I can see it being a really good deal for Sunderland.

Ha, there are really random rumours going about regarding Heskey, I can remember yesterday reading something about Celtic looking at him.
Aye, Mancini tried to get him to improve his work rate, but I don't think the message got through. Even when he did play last season he was very often anonymous. Hopefully O'Neill will motivate him to make the most of his ability.

I think Liverpool signed him because at that point they seemed to have a thing for overpriced, average English players, Downing and Henderson for example.

Yeah I heard the Celtic rumour as well. Daft, but not quite as unlikely as him coming to Shrewsbury :-(

Oh well, I can dream. Might have to realise that dream, on Fifa somehow :p