For All Future Authors..

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Realitycrash said:
Take the classic Hemingway story, for instance. "Baby shoes for sale, never worn". That's the entire story (and Hemingway famously went on to claim it was his best).
I'd argue that's more a poem than a story. It's imagery that evokes an emotional response, but there's no narrative.

Also, the only reason he claimed it was his best story was that he was trying to make a point about how clever he was. He might also have been drunk and depressed at the time.

--Morology!

Linksmash

Sep 9, 2013
Tom_green_day said:
I look at this thread and see the same books and authors mentioned again and again- Tolkien, George Martin- you know there are other genres of book than fantasy/science-fiction, right?
My favourite author is Bill Bryson, I'm pretty sure he revolutionised comedy or travel writing and by employing a similar style I've made myself different to 99% of 'aspiring authors' who just try to write the new Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings.
There are a lot of aspiring novelists in all fields, the 99% you describe is probably just from the sources you are looking at.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Linksmash said:
There are a lot of aspiring novelists in all fields, the 99% you describe is probably just from the sources you are looking at.
Sorry I didn't mean in general, I just meant on this website and similar ones.