For The Aussies

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
This is something I found through a friend. I think it's rather accurate... others may disagree. I would like to note that this is not an invitation for patriotism it's just something I found rather funny.

We are the people of a free nation of blokes, sheilas and the occasional wanker. We come from many lands (although a few too many of us come from New Zealand ), and although we live in the best country in the world, we reserve the right to ***** and moan about it whenever we bloody like. We are One Nation but divided into many States.

First, there's Victoria , named after a queen who didn't believe in lesbians. Victoria is the realm of Mossimo turtlenecks, cafe latte, grand final day, and big horse races. Its capital is Melbourne , whose chief marketing pitch is that "it's liveable". At least that's what they think. The rest of us think it is too bloody cold and wet.

Next, there's NSW, the realm of pastel shorts, macchiato with sugar, thin books read quickly and millions of dancing queens. Its capital Sydney has more queens than any other city in the world and is proud of it. Its mascots are Bondi lifesavers that pull their Speedos up their cracks to keep the left and right sides of their brains separate.

Down south we have Tasmania , a State based on the notion that the family that bonks together stays together. In Tassie, everyone gets an extra chromosome at conception. Maps of the State bring smiles to the sternest faces. It holds the world record for a single mass shooting, which the Yanks can't seem to beat no matter how often they try.

South Australia is the province of half-decent reds, a festival of foreigners and bizarre axe murders. SA is the state of innovation. Where else can you so effectively reuse country bank vaults and barrels as in Snowtown, just out of Adelaide (also named after a queen). They had the Grand Prix, but lost it when the views of Adelaide sent the Formula One drivers to sleep at the wheel.

Western Australia is too far from anywhere to be relevant. It's main claim to fame is that it doesn't have daylight saving because if it did, all the men would get erections on the bus on the way to work. WA was the last state to stop importing convicts and many of them still work there in the government and business.

The Northern Territory is the red heart of our land. Outback plains, sheep stations the size of Europe , kangaroos, Jackaroos, emus, Uluru, and dusty kids with big smiles. It also has the highest beer consumption of anywhere on the planet and its creek beds have the highest aluminium content of anywhere too. Although the Territory is the centrepiece of our national culture, few of us live there and the rest prefer to fly over it on our way to Bali .

And there's Queensland . While any mention of God seems silly in a document defining a nation of half arsed sceptics, it is worth noting that God probably made Queensland , as its beautiful one day and perfect the next. Why he filled it with dickheads remains a mystery.

Oh yes and there's Canberra . The less said the better.

We, the citizens of Oz, are united by Highways, whose treacherous twists and turns kill more of us each year than murderers. We are united in our lust for international recognition, so desperate for praise we leap in joy when a rag tag gaggle of corrupt IOC officials tells us Sydney is better than Beijing . We are united by a democracy so flawed that a political party albeit a redneck gun toting one, can get a million votes and still not win one seat in Federal Parliament. Not that we're whingeing, we leave that to our Pommy immigrants.

We want to make "no worries mate" our national phrase, "she'll be right mate" our national attitude and "Waltzing Matilda" our national anthem (so what if it's about a sheep-stealing crim who commits suicide). We love sport so much our newsreaders can read the death toll from a sailing race and still tell us who's winning. And we're the best in the world at all the sports that count, like cricket, netball, rugby league and union, AFL, roo shooting, two up and horse racing. We also have the biggest rock, the tastiest pies, and the worst dressed Olympians in the known universe. Only in Australia can a pizza delivery get to your house faster than an ambulance. Only in Australia do we have bank doors wide open, no security guards, or cameras but chain the pens to the desk. Stand proud Aussies - we shoot, we root, we vote. We are girt by sea and pissed by lunchtime. Even though we might seem a racist, closed minded, sports obsessed little people, at least we feel better for it. I am, you are, we are Australian!

aussiesniper

Mar 20, 2008
Firstly, I agree entirely about canberra. There shall be no further mention of it.

Secondly, I swear that I have read something very similar to this elsewhere, but it's still good.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
I am insulted! I'm from the ACT!(Although, I'm also Leb by blood so that probably screws things around a bit)

Although the rest of it is gold and so very true,nice work.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
That was very funny, I found the pen thing he mentioned at the end to be a humorous observation, that's for sure.

I live in Queensland and from his description of the states I'd say he does to.

Thanks for uploading this, cheers mate.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Huzzah!

Though Queenslanders are more pretentious about life then anything. Most people here are from Victoria and NSW then actual Queenslanders (myself comming from Sydney). So we tend to try and fit in act the part, shouting at the thousands of tourists that come and go.

Also, Cairns has whales... and suck.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
That was gold.

Did anyone else have Crocodile Dundee's voice running in their head during that?

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Victoria... 'bring a jumper' should be the motto on our license plates. The stupid thing about Melbourne Cup Day is the fact only Melbourne gets it off as a public holiday! Madness!

And Melbourne is by no stretch the worlds most livable city... spend five minutes stuck on the Monash in traffic to hate Melbourne with a passion.

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
Ah, I love this country, every last bit of it
But whoa, where did the 'cold and wet Melbourne' thing come from? It hasn't rained there properly in years! Victoria does have a massive drought...
Am I the only one imagining a really ocre male 'Straylian saying that with Waltzing Matilda sounding fanfare in the background?

EDIT: Thanks Inverse Skies, Sam Kekovich is the name I was looking for

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
I will say this. I hate the "Aussie bloke" stereotype. With a fiery burning passion to be perfectly frank. It's really quite an obnoxious and bigoted image to have out there about most Australians.

And people wonder why I claim not to have a national identity..

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Victoria... 'bring a jumper' should be the motto on our license plates. The stupid thing about Melbourne Cup Day is the fact only Melbourne gets it off as a public holiday? Madness!

And Melbourne is by no stretch the worlds most livable city... spend five minutes stuck in the Monash in traffic to hate melbourne with a passion.
You think the monash was bad?
Stay the hell away from the trains if you dislike congestion and traffic.
Only in melbourne can such a relatively small scale train system get congested....

It is good if you don't have to go anywhere though :)

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
So true, so true. I mean who wants to live in melbourne? Anyways, NSW rules, and remember the first rule of Canberra. WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT CANBERRA!

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Awesome, the pen observation was funny, and yes the pizza delivery guy is faster than the ambulance, I live in Queensland and his description is spot on. Though he didn't mention that Sydney has more Chinese people than Australians. Yeh Australia is awesome.

EDIT: Who else heard Sam Kekovich reading this?

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Although I've read this before on facebook (yes, it's a group on facebook) it still makes me laugh. I'm also a Queenslander (Welshy by birth) and can't disagree with our discription. I also don't find Melbourne liveable for the obvious reason being a big difference in weather and yes, Monash is a *****.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Dys said:
You think the monash was bad?
Stay the hell away from the trains if you dislike congestion and traffic.
Only in melbourne can such a relatively small scale train system get congested....

It is good if you don't have to go anywhere though :)
The less we mention about Melbourne's disasterous public tranpost/freeway/myki/lack of water the better.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Labyrinth said:
I will say this. I hate the "Aussie bloke" stereotype. With a fiery burning passion to be perfectly frank. It's really quite an obnoxious and bigoted image to have out there about most Australians.

And people wonder why I claim not to have a national identity..
The "Aussie bloke" stereotype is of a terribly likable, laid-back person. There are far worse ones to have, like "Norwegians will rape your women and pillage your villages", or "The Irish will get drunk at the first opportunity, beat their wives and start a riot in the streets over a soccer game that they won fairly". I should know, I'm both, and I get shit like this all the time.

Also, "Americans are fat." ...which is, well, sadly accurate. I've given up "scoping for chicks", as it were, because it always results in me seeing shit I do NOT want to see; every trip to the mall ends with me wishing for a gallon of brain bleach.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Is it sad that I'm really proud to be an Australian right now? God damn I love this country...