For the older gamers (10+ years of gaming), what is your GOTD (game of the decade)?

CobraX

Jul 4, 2010
I barely meet the mark of 10 years...

RUNNER UPS - Assassins Creed (The Series In General, Mostly 2/Brotherhood), Fallout:New Vegas, Bioshock (1 and 2), and Mass Effect/Dragon Age*

ACTUAL GAME OF THE DECADE - Silent Hill 2. That game is a simply amazing piece of story telling, atmosphere, horror, and creativity.

Notable Games That Might Have Made It, But I Haven't Played Them Before
-
Shadow of the Colossus, Jade Empire, and Fatal Frame. These three look very interesting, but I have yet to get a chance to play any of them.

Also Skyrim looks very impressive, but of course It's not out yet. If Skyrim is at least half as good as the hype makes it out to be, It will at least earn itself a Runner Up Spot.

* I prefer Mass Effect 2 over 1 - Can't decide If I like Mass Effect more than Dragon Age, Tough Decision. Also Can't decide which Dragon Age I like more, Origins had it's good and bad spots and so did number 2. Once again, a hard decision.

Noctius

Jul 21, 2011
for me either shadow of the colossus or kingdom hearts
and since KH does not have an HD remake out ill go with SOTC

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
KOTOR is simply the best game I've ever played, and one of the few RPG's I finished more than twice. Much respect to Bioware for all of the wonderful games they've made these past 10+ years.

Brainpaint

Sep 28, 2011
I struggle a lot with the subject but if I had to pick or die it would depend on which one came to mind first, Bioshock, Mass Effect or Silent Hill 2.

Also, I've been gaming about 20 years. First tried playing at 2/3 years old. And not even kiddie games. Horace goes skiing!

I'm the only person I know that LOVES the Spectrum noises thanks to that bunch of pixels and my dad's encouragement.

When I have a kid I'm sure as hell gonna teach him or her to play Dino Crisis by the time they're five. Gotta toughen up those hands!

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
Naeras said:
Company of Heroes gets the price for me. It completely redefined the RTS genre by reducing the importance* the macro aspect of the game and focus the game on tactical combat instead, and is what got me really deep into the genre in the first place. It's also damn pretty, has big explosions and tanks with flamethrowers.

*if anyone says the macro got "dumbed down", then I simply reply that macro isn't fun.
I'd recommend Ground Control (+exp, 2) and World in Confilct. They are really great games.

I might make my GotD Ground Control

poleboy

May 19, 2008
It's a tough call, but I would have to go with Morrowind. No other game has given me an experience quite like it. There are so many other good games that deserve honorable mentions that I won't name them all here.

ghstman

Nov 20, 2009
I was going to say "Link to the Past", but I just looked it up, and that was 1991. (Holy crap I feel old!) Instead, it's got to be The Legend of Dragoon. One of the few RPGs to not absolutely bore me to tears with how it handled battles. Fantastic writing and amazing cutscene graphics (for the time) seal the deal.

JKain

Mar 15, 2011
My personal choice would be
Silent Hill 2
Never have I lost myself in a games atmospere to a higher degree.

Runner-up would be Shadow of the Colossus.

And just now I realised that I'd qualify for a 20+ years of gaming poll as well....
..now if you'll excuse me, my backs acting up again and I have to tell those damn kids to get thehelloff'o'mylawn
despite living in a top-floor flat...*sudden dreamy distant look* time flies...

BONeDuSTswe

Nov 8, 2011
While I've played innumerable great games since 2001, I'd actually say that my no.1 fav is Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II, simply because no other game has surpassed all of my expectations to such an extent.

And ohh, here's for my first post on the site! Huzzah!

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
ghstman said:
I was going to say "Link to the Past", but I just looked it up, and that was 1991. (Holy crap I feel old!) Instead, it's got to be The Legend of Dragoon. One of the few RPGs to not absolutely bore me to tears with how it handled battles. Fantastic writing and amazing cutscene graphics (for the time) seal the deal.
Yeah, definately one of my favs as well. We can dream of an HD remake together. ^_^

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
BONeDuSTswe said:
While I've played innumerable great games since 2001, I'd actually say that my no.1 fav is Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II, simply because no other game has surpassed all of my expectations to such an extent.

And ohh, here's for my first post on the site! Huzzah!
I am honored. Welcome to the Escapist. P.S. Stay out of the basement.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
I played the hell out of Resident Evil 4, God of Wars 1 & 2 were fun as hell, Colossus was thought provoking and a great argument for the "Games As Art" crowd, but I have to tip my hat to Red Dead Redemption. Stunning presentation, a perfect blend of gameplay and story and the first game to genuinely move me beyond the time I stopped playing it. A spiritual cousin of Deadwood, the player could choose to be a noble symbol of freedom lost to the forces of "civilization" or and avatar for lawless anarchy that eventually had to end so a stable society could flourish. It created a world I cared about, wanted to live in and evoked a genuine sadness when it came to an end. Perfect.

ghstman

Nov 20, 2009
King of the Sandbox said:
ghstman said:
Yeah, definately one of my favs as well. We can dream of an HD remake together. ^_^
HD would be amazing. Mostly because the graphics everywhere else were eye bleedingly blocky.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
I'd have to say Morrowind, no other game matches it in hours I've spent playing and still play to this day.