For the older gamers (10+ years of gaming), what is your GOTD (game of the decade)?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Pretty much says it all up there. What's your favorite game from the last 10 years?

For me to consider your opinion "valid", you have to have been gaming for at least the last 10 years.

Me? I'm going to go with Red Dead Redemption. The game is pretty much the perfect western. I still play it to this day, and will for a long, long time (even if a better sequel emerges, Kind of like how I feel about Mega Man 2). I often just put the game in, ride out to a nice spot, and let the screensaver camera kick in while I do stuff on my computer or cook food or what have you.

So, yeah... what's your game of the decade?

EDIT: 2001-2011, for clarification.

Also, don't pick a list. You have to pick 1. That's the challenge, and in that challenge, the fun.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
Um... That is hard...

I would say Crash Team Racing... But it's just out of this decade...

I'm going to go with Fallout 3...
But Command and Conquer: Generals gets honourable mentions...

Aug 1, 2010
Game I liked most out of the decade: Fallout 3.

Game that is probably the "best": I'm going to agree with RDR. Incredibly good story, great game-play and, oh yeah, ZOMBIES VS COWBOYS!!!

felbot

May 11, 2011
so if i have only 9 years my opinion is suddenly invalid?, lol.
any way my favorite would be dragon age origins or team fortress 2, both damn good games.

also really love oblivion.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
For me it will always be inFamous. Only game that ever meet all my expectations and made me completely immersed.

Aetherlblade

Mar 1, 2010
Homeworld 1 or 2. They are both awesome games with great storylines, great music and awesome campaigns. I have never been as emotionally triggered by a game as with the destruction of Kharak and such. This game is so beautifully made, i dont know any game that can meet the standards.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Either Final Fantasy X or TES: Oblivion. Or, considering the amount of time I spent playing it and the amount of joy that I received, World of Warcraft. It's a really, really, really tough question as I can think of several other games that'd also qualify.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
If you add another year, would definitely be Deus Ex.

Other than that, i'll throw a curveball and say Portal 2.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Why the 10 years if I may ask? Out of sheer curiosity by the way.

Banjo Kazooie on the N64, along with Banjo-Tooie.

In that prespective, Conkers Bad Fur day was a good one too.
I kinda do miss the cheery 'happy go lucky grim world' type of games. Nowadays every fantasy is either hopelessly emo or dark gritty 'I'm a long wolf, the rest can sod off' that turns into 'stop following me around, I have to do this alone' and eventually into 'I had to do this on my own, you all ruined it for me!'.

Myeah. Either people develop the game all the way to the right or all the way to the left.
I want that Banjo Kazooie feel back :V (And if anyone mentions Nuts and Bolts I'm gonna cry.)

sidenote: Final Fantasy 10 was the last of the games that I played that were actually set into a real fantasy style world with the actual feeling of a fantasy, instead of realism in a world with a unicorn and a minotaur every now and then (I.e. Oblivion)

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Morrowind, easily. For me, no game is as endlessly replayable. It would take a ridiculous amount of time to do/see everything once, and it really never lost its fun factor for me so replaying the same pieces with different characters is still enjoyable. Technically it's obviously not special anymore, but the world and creatures they created are still great looking in their own way. And mods can make it look amazing if you need that.

It's the game that got me into RPGs, and the gold standard by which all new RPGs are held to.

I'll probably be playing it forever.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
MrDeckard said:
Game I liked most out of the decade: Fallout 3.

Game that is probably the "best": I'm going to agree with RDR. Incredibly good story, great game-play and, oh yeah, ZOMBIES VS COWBOYS!!!
Yeah, the story was a big factor for me crowning it my GOTD as well. I just felt so much for John Marston and his situation, and his desire to do good and be redeemed. After the barn scene, I was as infuriated, saddened, and lusted for vengeance and justice, as if he were my own father. And the entrance to Mexico? With the music... at dusk? Yeah, that game moved me more than anything I've ever played.

iNsaneMilesy

Dec 10, 2008
King of the Sandbox said:
Pretty much says it all up there. What's your favorite game from the last 10 years?

For me to consider your opinion "valid", you have to have been gaming for at least the last 10 years.

Me? I'm going to go with Red Dead Redemption. The game is pretty much the perfect western. I still play it to this day, and will for a long, long time (even if a better sequel emerges, Kind of like how I feel about Mega Man 2). I often just put the game in, ride out to a nice spot, and let the screensaver camera kick in while I do stuff on my computer or cook food or what have you.

So, yeah... what's your game of the decade?
Completely agree that Red Dead brought a genre i love to gaming that i thought would never be done well. it was a great game, but did have flaws. wish it had more to do in it. Felt very flat after all the story was done. But my favoite would be KOTOR, it really changed the way games a approached when it comes to story telling. A cinematic experience that paved the way for some of the best games ever made.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Ruwrak said:
Why the 10 years if I may ask? Out of sheer curiosity by the way.
Well, it wouldn't be a Game of the Decade otherwise, would it? :) And I felt the 'favorite game of all time' thing has been done to death. I wanted to add something to make it a bit more thought provoking and limited.

reonhato said:
wait 10 years of gaming makes you old? 10 years of gaming doesnt even get you out of your teens.

anyway FFX hands down, nothing even compares
Well, I've been gaming for close to 30 years, but I wanted to give the younger set (with at least a bit of experience) a chance to chime in.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
For me? It has to be Halo CE. Halo changed my life. It made me a hardcore gamer and through getting invited to lan partys simply because i had an xbox, it made me friends for life I wouldnt have had otherwise.

The memories from that game, from a sort of camraderie with my mates and a lot of laughs, are unforgettable!

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Well, seeing as I started gaming 12 years ago, I guess I qualify. For me it's The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. The highlight of gaming to me is exploring uncharted lands, and a game that let me sail the ocean did just that. Never mind the sword fighting, dungeons, and beautiful graphics.