For the older gamers (10+ years of gaming), what is your GOTD (game of the decade)?

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Fieldy409 said:
For me? It has to be Halo CE. Halo changed my life. It made me a hardcore gamer and through getting invited to lan partys simply because i had an xbox, it made me friends for life I wouldnt have had otherwise.

The memories from that game, from a sort of camraderie with my mates and a lot of laughs, are unforgettable!
I concur with this.
I started off hating halo and everything it did. After playing for it for a while on the demo I recieved (disk 4 of the AOXM)I was drawn into it and completely hooked.
The first playthrough was the most memorable, with the introduction of the flood changing the way the game went from a 2 sided standard war to a 3 way slaughter with both of the original side trembling in fear of the new species.
It pretty much has defined my gaming habits as of today and was the most memorable game I have played.

Hell, I have even pre-order the anniversary edition just because it is my game of the decade (and all time so far) otherwise I would not shell out $70AU for a remake.
(though shall I add that if I spend $18AU extra at launch, I get a RC warthog ^.^ worth $60-70)

eezaak

Sep 4, 2009
Halo: Combat Evolved.

So sue me, I played this sucker for months after it came out. Doing 4 player Warthog rallies on Bloodgulch with my brothers was great fun.

Terminally Chill

Jun 21, 2011
Custard_Angel said:
I'll vote alone and elect Banjo Tooie as the best game by being the all time greatest sequel ever, bar none.

A game that was everything that made the first game good with an amount of additional content greater than the entire first game.

This is how sequels should be. Not like most games that start the sequel with none of the item/abilities from the previous games.

It had tight gameplay, imaginative set pieces, charming characters and fun.

Fun seems to be what a lot of games lack these days without drawing from the multiplayer bucket.
Agreed 100% (should be no surprise considering my avatar), though the OP was apparently referring to 2001-2011 so I went as such. But if we were including a year earlier then B-T would be right at the top. It's almost three generations later and we still aren't getting sequels as good and vast and as fun as that.

Kemea

Sep 25, 2009
If it has to be in 2000-2010 I would go for Shadow of the Colossus...God that game is epic. Need me some more of those! If I can pick games before 2000, I would have a hard choice between Legend of Legaia(1993 or 1994 if I recall correctly)and Legend of Dragoon(1999ish). I have never been able to decide which of those two games was superior xD

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
I would say Oblivion.Sure the vanilla game isn't the best ever(though it's pretty still awesome),but the insane replayabilty and endless mods make it the game I've enjoyed and played the most.

Now,if mods don't count,then I honestly can't pick out a single game.

zz_

Jul 15, 2010
My favorite game of all time would be The Legend of Dragoon, but that's just over a decade old so...overall, my favorite game is probably World of Warcraft. After all, when you've spent almost half the last decade playing the game, you'd have to be retarded not to acknowledge it as a great game. That said, I'd still probably pick Warcraft 3 as my GOTD, after all that's where WoW came from, it had an awesome story, engaging and challenging gameplay, good characters, and was awesome as fuck.

brb watching wc3 cinematics

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
2001-2011 - I'd have to go with a Japanese only PS2 game based on Evangelion. It was an RPG where you initially played through a randomised Evangelion series - angels in random order; different pilots joined at different times; different relationships could be developed - imagine an Evangelion where Shinji and his father made their peace and actually could stand to be in the same room as each other - but upon playing through as Shinji, you could unlock Asuka ... and Rei ... and Misato ... and Gendou Ikari ... and Suzuhara ... and Maya ... and even goddamn PEN PEN - and play through the whole story again, randomised. Freakin' awesome. Unfortunately, you need to be fluent in Japanese and have the patience to go through it again and again. Critically it didn't do very well outside of the hardcore Japanese Eva fans, and outside Japan it's practically unheard of.

I would also like to make a special mention of Mount and Blade. If Oblivion had the combat mechanics of Mount and Blade in its native mode, it would have been GOTD easily.

Mind you, I've coupled a mod on tesnexus that allows actual functional blocking based on your timing - effectively negating all damage if timed correctly - with my own mod where I've turned every weapon into something to be afraid of (ie Shortswords, instead of doing 4 damage, do 80). Eventually I'll get around to compiling and uploading it on tesnexus as 'uzomod' or something.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Game I played the most? Red Alert 2. Game that was the very best example of good ever? Half-life 2. Game I found the most retarded fun to play? Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
The Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

Runner ups are Red Dead Revolver, and Jet Set Radio Future.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Bastion and Batman Arhkam City or definitly up there, but I'm not sure what was the best in the past 10 years

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Let's see, I Guess I count, I have played for 14/15 years, but 3 of them WoW took over.

Mass Effect was the game that taught me to RP, I shivered in delight from seeing the opening again a couple of days ago, and I got goosebumps just from hearing the sound effects of changing an option in the settings menu. A lot of personal things also make me love this game even more, despite how I know there are better games, and how I see the flaws in it. Since the universe and my character and how she develops in the game is a lot of what makes me love the game so much, ME2 would also join in So that's my subjective GotD

So, for an objectiveless subjective GotD... Ratchet & Clank 2 maybe? There's nothing at all wrong with that game. Honourable mentions to Dragon Age: Origin and Assassin's Creed 2. All are amazing games.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
M2TW. I've played it at least twice as much as the next nearest game. Talking about in hundreds of hours here. It is the only game I still play on any semblance of a consistent basis (a few weeks every few months).

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
The Timesplitters trilogy

A great campaign and a fantastic multiplayer, on or offline. Still remains a personal favourite.

BelfastSpartan

Oct 5, 2010
Road rash!
Then I realised it was 1994 for the sega mega drive!
Where has the time gone =/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_Rash

So after that I'd say Abes odyssey and oddworld were outstanding games!
But even they were released pre 2000

So I'm going to go with
Shadow of the colosuss or Red dead redemption!
In fact red dead redemption will take top spot!
I don't think I have every felt so emotional during a game! Getting into mexico and the music starts playing, or the fight scene at the ranch near the end!
That was a fantastic game that I really need to play again!