For those of you hyped for MW3, I ask... why?

PessimistOwl

Jan 19, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
PessimistOwl said:
That's a fair reason I suppose. Personally, I'm more stuck in the older days of gaming when the story was the only thing that merited a good game and multiplayer was just something extra that you could choose to enjoy if you had friends with controllers. And that's very well perhaps one of my problems with current gaming. I just don't like to see half of a game's emphasis on multi-player. Personally, it tells me that they aren't working hard enough on what makes their game unique.
In the old days most games barely even had a story. Many of them weren't even good games. Here, ill compare the stories of a MW2 and Super Mario Bros

MW2: Russian terrorist stages a terrorist attack on a Russian airport. He frames an American soldier for the attack which leads Russia to lead all out war on the USA. Meanwhile an SAS group is trying to find the terrorist. They get information that will lead them to the terrorist, but the general wants to get recognition for saving the world so he betrays the SAS group and steals the info. Two members of the SAS group then go to the generals base and in an epic knife fight kill him.

Super Mario Bros: Princess kidnapped by evil one sided enemy, go save her.

You seem to have a bad case of nostalgia. There was a few very good games from that era (Mario Bros 3, Zelda, Metroid etc), but most game were crap, had very little story, had broken controls and were only made to get kids money. In the past games that were good (except hardcore JRPGs) didn't have a good story. The games were merited on their gameplay, same as today. Story has only gotten better since then because we have so many new ways to tell stories that we couldn't of done back when technology was at its earliest. Also, multiplayer IS what makes CoD unique, its the game to go to now if you want fast paced and easy action, its like going to play battlefield to have a team focused intelligent game.
fair enough, I'll concede to that. But you have to admit that it definitely seems that game developers have seemed to stop trying when it comes to single player campaign. I'll make a comparison

MW2: Go from point A to point B and shoot enemies along the way... expect intermittent cutscenes and repetitive strategies

Mario: Go from point A to point B, expect repetitive strategies and structures for every level you go by as well as toad saying "we're sorry, your princess is in another castle".

But allow me to offer this. When I play an older game like mario, I am actively challenged. I have to figure out what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. In Call of Duty, I just yawn as I take cover behind a table, then duck out to do some occasional shooting, then right back in for a coffee break.

Also, the story was only one part of my argument, and perhaps a badly worded one at that. What I should've said was "the single player". games concentrated a lot of single player, mostly because that was really what they were judged by. Either way, you have a decent point, I appreciate the response.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I enjoy the spectacle and setup of the single player missions, and online can be great to play with friends. I also want to see how the story progresses because, whatever criticisms of whatever legitimacy people level against it, it's a larger than life action epic that I want to see through to the end.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Father Tunde said:

We like things that you don't. It's our opinions. I'm not a fan of South Park, nor of Sprouts, but I don't ask people to explain to me why they like them.
Damn, ninja'd. My words exactly.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Let me ask you this: Would you make this same thread asking people why they're so hyped about Battlefield 3?

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
Because it will be a fun game for the person?

Does there need to be any other reason to be hyped for a game? It's not that hard to understand; people like CoD. Thus, people will buy more Call of Duties because they like CoD. It's not that hard to grasp.

It's like asking why people are hyped for the new Harry Potter movies; it's because they liked the movies that preceded it, and so want to see more.

I personally am not hyped for CoD, but can see why some people are. My dad was a huge CoD fan, max leveled on the latest games, but because he got BFBC2 he's thinking of getting BF3 because it's more varied. He never said that the new CoD will be bad, and he might even plan on buying that as well; he just likes variety, so he's gonna get BF3 first.

TL/DR: If people like something, they will be hyped for something else that is like that certain something that they liked.

And to quote Yahtzee: "Trying to impose your feelings on someone else is as pointless and time-consuming as trying to impregnate a dishwasher." You can't say a person is wrong for liking CoD.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
A well-respected American military official loses 30,000 men in a nuclear inferno and then knowingly collaborates with a feared Russian terrorist to bring about World War III so that he can have vengeance against the country which took the lives of his men.

And so he creates a task force consisting of individuals responsible for ending the past conflict, only to use them as pawns to erase all evidence of his dealing with the Russian terrorist.

While he manages to kill most of the task force, two are able to escape his private military forces and locate him. The American commander is then assassinated, thus paying blood with blood.

The two surviving task force members, however, are now war criminals for killing a respected (albeit traitorous) commander. And the Russian terrorist is still at large, and World War 3 is beggining.

So I will buy Modern Warfare 3 because I wish to see what happens next.

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
If I want creativeness, good storytelling or an immersive universe, ill go play dragon age, mass effect or fallout.

If i just want to point gun A at person B till they die, ill go play COD. Its great fun to play online as well, espcially against people who take it WAY too seriously..

Mar 9, 2010
PessimistOwl said:
Why are you still getting modern Warfare 3 if you already have virtually the same gaming experience from four other games?
Because virtually the same isn't what I want. I want to finish this thing off: find Makarov, finish this war with Russia and bring Shepard to justice. I can't get that in any of the other Modern Warfare games, now can I?

LastHour1

Oct 17, 2011
I'll tell you that I'm not excited for Modern Warfare 3.

I'll argue and shout up and down that I'll never buy another Call of Duty game as long as I live.

And come November 8th, I'll be online playing Modern Warfare 3. With all my friends. Who act the same way.

I genuinely dislike the Modern Warfare series, well, since MW2. I really like CoD4. However, I have found that even though I don't like MW2, I can have a hell of a time playing it with friends. Which is the reason I've spent two weeks (total in game time) playing it.

That's why I could be considered "excited" for Modern Warfare 3. Going online and having some stupid, fast paced, run 'n' gun fun with my friends.

darkorion69

Aug 15, 2008
PessimistOwl said:
Okay, so, if you are a major fanboy of the call of duty series (specifically speaking, multiplayer) I have a very important question. Ever since the release of Call of Duty Modern Warfare, they seem to have lacked (both treyarch and infinity ward) in the "creativity department". So, I ask you a very important question: Why are you still getting modern Warfare 3 if you already have virtually the same gaming experience from four other games? And I mean this honestly, I'm not trying to put anyone down for being excited about a video game, I'm genuinely curious. What does MW3 have to offer to you that makes you excited to play it? I've personally waited four games to see if they will come out with something new and inovative like in call of duty four but have been thoroughly disappointed each time. And now, with the slow progression to Activision adding an extra EXTRA charge to playing just call of duty games, I have drawn the line and simply won't buy the game at all, but that does not leave me from being curious about your opinions. So, one last time, why are you so excited for Call of Duty MW3?
Black Ops introduced Combat Training, Theater Mode, Wager Matches, and an in game currency used to purchase weapons/perks. Black Ops featured more balanced game-play than many FPS titles. It was new player friendly enough to convince even me, a long-time FPS hater, to try and enjoy a type of game I had long loathed. So there have been numerous innovations in Black Ops.

As to MW3, it has oddly learned some lessons from Black Ops. More attention is being paid to balancing weapons and allowing players of varied skill to compete and improve together. Some of my excitement lies in fighting in real world recognizable maps. For me, that will introduce a little 'horrors of war' into the rather desensitized FPS genre. Also, I look forward to leading a small clan of my RL friends in a new FPS where I can have a KDR that reflects my current skill instead of the horrible performances of my early FPS days.

As to slower progression, I like the feeling of earning things over a longer time period. To me, it makes every achievement that much sweeter.

I am unsure on your 'extra extra charge'..are you talking about Elite?

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
well i dont have any of the other games. i sold modern warfare 2 to finish paying off modern warfare 3. why would i do that for essentially the same game? because i want to see how the story ends. also i like the revamped killstreaks and unlocks. plus i want to play co op with my friends survival mode and spec ops. and truly on top of all that selling modern warfare 2 got me a free pre order on skyrim so hell yeah i was gonna take that.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
The campaign story in MW1 was very entertaining and worth repeated plays.

The single player game is like watching an action popcorn flick. I'm interested in this game for the same reasons I'd be interested in a game like Uncharted 3.

My problem is that the game isn't single player focused, and so $60.00 is just too much. I'll be getting this game, but not for the several years it'll take for the game to drop to $20.00.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
It's my yearly big dumb fun buy. A great campaign and a bit of multiplayer with fun fluid gameplay is enough for me.

IankBailey

Jun 23, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
MW2: Russian terrorist stages a terrorist attack on a Russian airport. He frames an American soldier for the attack which leads Russia to lead all out war on the USA. Meanwhile an SAS group is trying to find the terrorist. They get information that will lead them to the terrorist, but the general wants to get recognition for saving the world so he betrays the SAS group and steals the info. Two members of the SAS group then go to the generals base and in an epic knife fight kill him.

Super Mario Bros: Princess kidnapped by evil one sided enemy, go save her.
Or you can stop trying to favor MW and be true to yourself and others. The story is more "Terrorists bad! America smash!"

At this point MW is the Madden of fps games. They don't change much besides maybe a new perk, a new game mode and a shiny new box to wrap it all up in to.

Schlen

Feb 11, 2009
I'm "hyped" because I want to see how the story (hopefully) ends
That's it.

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
You know, you could ask people's opinions without trying to imply that they are mindless consumers. We get it, you don't like the game, that's your own opinion. Why should we have to justify ourselves?
The OP isnt implying anything. He's just stating facts. Maybe you should self-assess and figure out why you feel those implications.

For the record, it is because if a group of players starts on one game, they will continue to the next game in the series in order to keep playing with their friends.
Bolded text reinforces my above statement, and your own.