For those of you hyped for MW3, I ask... why?

Semitendon

Aug 4, 2009
You know, I have asked the same question myself.

CoD4- Innovative for the series, updates to virtually every aspect of the game. ( Personally, I didn't like it)

WaW- Mild updates, but noticable addition of Nazi Zombies.

MW2- Mild updates to CoD4

CoDBlkOps- Mild upgrades to CoD4, noticable addition of expanding Nazi Zombies

MW3- Not yet released, but all of evidence points to mild updates, and an extra charge for certain game aspects.

Unless you like Nazi Zombies, ( like me) there is virtually no reason to have bought any of the other games, once you have CoD4.
Sure the other games bring new classes, a few new guns, and new maps, but that's it. You are shooting the same anonymous online player in the same way as before.

It's a shooter, and not a very varied one at that. Halo came with updates throughout it's series run, but with the exception of the notably awful ODST, and the swan song that is Reach, the rest of the games are fairly interchangable.

Posts above have mentioned the " but my friends are all playing the new version" as the reason why people buy the same game over and over again. But, that doesn't hold, because then why are their friends buying it?

It's not the game, it's not the friends, it's the fact that it's "new".

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
SnootyEnglishman said:
I agree with you here sir. I don't get why some get so defensive when you say you don't like CoD. It's been pretty much the same war based FPS shooter since number four.
Its not that people get defensive over people not liking it.

People get defensive when people treat others as if they are some sort of moron. (The OP typed it as though we are morons for getting "the same game")

OP, People like Modern Warfare. If Team Fortress 2 got an update that gave everyone a hat and people flipped out. I'd ask a similar question.

Besides, the CORE GAMEPLAY hasn't changed, the little things that make it different have changed. Thats what I mainly look forward to.

Also, the premise of the game is cool, WW3 in the modern era.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
The same reason I plan on buying the MGS HD Collection.

It's literally the same games but prettier and on 360. However, I love Metal Gear Solid and just want to play more of it. I assume it's the same mindset of people who take games like this.

Except you actually get a new story too.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Modern Warfare 2 continued the excellent story set up in COD4. I want to see how it ends. Also, the multiplayer is consistently solid, so that'll probably be my go-to multiplayer title for awhile.

I don't see why games have to reinvent the wheel every five minutes to be considered any good.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Because you aren't me and we have different tastes?

I'm not sure why that concept is impossible to understand for some people.

Sure, it rehashes a very similar game each year, but seeing how the game it rehashes is one of the most fun games that I'll play, I don't see why I wouldn't buy it.

Not to mention that for all the shit it gets about being the same game, it actually changes pretty drastically each year

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
VikingSteve said:
Well, I found it to be too easy for me. I found no challenge in it unless I created one, which isn't something I should have to do
Than you are a demigod at videogames in which case no one is asking you.

There's no such thing as an "online video game" being too easy. You're either bullshitting yourself or you are playing with your little brother.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Considering how much some people play these games on-line, they'll more than get their money's worth from the new game... and the single player campaign of Modern Warfare tends to on the cool side (even MW2 had some really great set pieces, although the plot was short and stupid). And I know Madden fans, who enjoy seeing what little changes get made every year.

It's just a certain mind-frame you have to be in and if you have that mind-frame, you're going to be spending hundreds of hours with the game.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
TLS14 said:
Char-Nobyl said:
Wait a second. "Four other games"? Modern Warfare (1), Modern Warfare 2 (2), and if you're really lax about counting titles in the series, Black Ops (3). That makes MW3, at absolute most, the fourth game, and more likely just the third game. You seem to think that it's the fifth, for some reason.
Again, where is this mysterious fifth game? Did I miss something? Was there a MW cellphone game that I'm not counting and you're not mentioning?
You seem to be forgetting World at War, bro. MW, WaW, MW2, BO, MW3. Infinity Ward and Treyarch seem to just be trading off development roles for every other installment.
How am I forgetting World At War? We're talking about Modern Warfare. At least that's the page I was on.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
VikingSteve said:
JoesshittyOs said:
VikingSteve said:
Well, I found it to be too easy for me. I found no challenge in it unless I created one, which isn't something I should have to do
Than you are a demigod at videogames in which case no one is asking you.

There's no such thing as an "online video game" being too easy. You're either bullshitting yourself or you are playing with your little brother.
No, I'm better than you. It's not hard to be good at modern FPS. You must be one of those people that accuses the 4+:1 KDR people of hacking. I've been playing FPS for 10+ years, I'm going to be better than probably 90% of the people I play against. You sound mad that I find no challenge in a game that you obviously do.

I'm not one of those corner camping ***** players either, I can actually move and kill people. That's another reason I despise COD, and CS too. They have both been polluted with the corner camping ***** player. When I started playing FPS way back when, those people were kicked in seconds. There's no honor, or challenge, in corner camping.

The players that take the experience seriously focus on finding challenges and overcoming them, and honestly, COD has none. It's ironsight+laser to any guy I feel like killing. There's jackshit for recoil, there's no effort involved in target acquisition, the hitboxes are forgiving, and most of all, the maps are small, so you never have to really analyze an area for somebody, or be alert, because chances are somebody is always going to be running by on the screen for you to instagib effortlessly. Not to mention ironsights in themselves are a plague upon gaming. Static crosshairs for life.

Yeah, I might as well be a demigod of video games. I've been playing for so long that the only way I am challenged in an FPS is if I go back 10+ years to games where speed and reaction time trumped everything.
Jesus, you didn't need to give me your resume.

I was just pointing out what you said was rather narrow minded. Being good at an online multiplayer game where literally any idiot can play does not mean the game has any less challenge, it just means that you're better than them. Play gamebattles against good teams and then tell me a CoD game doesn't take any skill.

I fail to see how that manages to count as a "negative" to the game.

No, I'm not jealous that someone somewhere in the world managed to beat my 1.2 KD in a game I haven't touched for over two months, and the only people's KD I've ever checked were my friends.

And no, ironsights are not a plague on modern gaming. In fact, I'd go as far to say they are the reason why FPS has become the dominant genre in this generation. As a person who spent more of his life playing dated shooters like you, it's pretty apparent why you'd say that.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Char-Nobyl said:
How am I forgetting World At War? We're talking about Modern Warfare. At least that's the page I was on.
You mentioned Black Ops when counting titles in the series that are extremely similar to each other. Black Ops isn't the same as Modern Warfare in regards to setting, (Cold War =/= modern) but the gameplay is much the same as Modern Warfare 2. Likewise, World at War is different from Modern Warfare in that it's a World War II game, but it borrows heavily from Modern Warfare.

What he was saying was that all four of those games are extremely similar when it comes to gameplay. I inferred by your post that you thought that he was only talking about Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, and Black Ops, so I felt the need to correct you. That's basically it.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
TLS14 said:
Char-Nobyl said:
You mentioned Black Ops when counting titles in the series that are extremely similar to each other. Black Ops isn't the same as Modern Warfare in regards to setting, (Cold War =/= modern) but the gameplay is much the same as Modern Warfare 2. Likewise, World at War is different from Modern Warfare in that it's a World War II game, but it borrows heavily from Modern Warfare.

What he was saying was that all four of those games are extremely similar when it comes to gameplay. I inferred by your post that you thought that he was only talking about Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, and Black Ops, so I felt the need to correct you. That's basically it.
I also outright said, several times, that I was being generous when including Black Ops in the count. I didn't consider it a MW game, but OP seemed to, so I humored him a bit. I only included it because it was the most recent in a chain of what OP considered to be disappointments following the first MW.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
CoD multiplayer has gone steadily downhill since the first MW game in my opinion.

Part of it is not being able to decide what you really want to play.

part of it is the massive scaling down of team sizes from MW1

im still not "excited" about MW3. in fact ive sworn it off altogether....until they announced their new mode. forget what its called, but basically once you kill an enemy you need to go over his corpse and collect his dogtags. finally a mode that gives people an incentive to NOT camp all day.

Sure, in MW1 you could still camp, but with teams twice as big as they are now, once your position is revealed from your first victim be prepared for a literal hail of grenads and flashbangs heading your way when his 4-5 nearby teammates show you their displeasure.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
CthulhuMessiah said:
Funny. I never see anyone ***** how Battlefield is the same game over and over again.
Yeah! I mean, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield: Bad Company, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and Battlefield 3 are all the same!

Sure, they have different weapons, maps, classes, objectives, online components, single player components, engines, audio and visuals - but if every other way they're the same!

[/sarcasm]