For Your Consideration: Toy Story 3

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010

I'll stand behind this movie, to infinity and beyond.

Read Full Article

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Oh please let this be a recurring column. I think I would love to hear the opinions of the staff on the Oscar nominations.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
I'm going to begin by saying that I rarely enjoy seeing your name on an article, Elizabeth Grunewald, but I definitely, 100%, agree with this one.

Everything you wrote, from the generosity of children, to the incinerator scene is completely correct. The movie is a deep, amazingly-written, piece of art. If it were live action is wouldn't have worked, but computer generated it is one of my favorite films of all time.

Let's hope the old folks at the Academy don't simply push it aside because it's animated. I'm behind Toy Story 3 100%, and apparently, you by association. You tell me how to get Toy Story 3 a best picture nomination and I'll do it.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
Thank you the great article Elizabeth, even if it did just restate the strengths of an already great film, awards or not, this one is going down in history as the best franchise closer ever made. (I hope, and yes, better than Godfather Part 3 :) )

Also, I just wanted to say that while I do absolutely love Pixar's movies (the shorts too). What thrills me the most is watching the company's growth artistically and intellectually. They just keep topping themselves. First, it was the Emily scene in Toy Story 2, then Finding Nemo. Walle was so amazing at the time I thought it would be untoppable. Watching the trailer for some movie about a flying house called Up seemed like Pixar was starting to run out of good stories. But then it came out, and wow! Even now I'd say that Up is a better movie than Toy Story 3, but not by much. A lot of the emotion I got from Toy Story 3 was from being familiar with the character from the previous films, Up managed to achieve that all on its own. I can't wait to see what Pixar has up it's sleeve next. No, not the Cars movies, never watched the first one, won't be seeing this next one either.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Wonderful article on an amazing movie, a nice read. I agree that it was more sad to see him playing with his toys in the beginning (I tried so hard to find the death bit sad but I just couldn't! Maybe it was because I knew they wouldn't be dying >.>) than the incinerator part.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Toy Story 3 one of my favorites ever. It moved me more than most other movies can say, and, in simplest terms, it's about toys.

Feb 13, 2008
Toy Story 3 works on so many levels and most of all proves that Death can be taught to small children without force or pain.

The absoloute bleakness of either Lotso's story, Sunnyview or the F word (F**nace) can reduce grown adults to tears, while keeping children enthralled. It's almost Kafka-esque.

That's Oscar-worthy imho.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Nouw said:
(...) I tried so hard to find the death bit sad but I just couldn't! (...)
I completely agree with you. There was a part of me that just couldn't believe that they'd all die. That being said, the final play session with the little girl, may have choked me up a bit. Just a bit mind you. The contrast of innocent joy and a recognition of leaving childhood make the whole scene profoundly bitter sweet.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
agree 100%

also BBC did a pixar behind the scenes thing for their 25th birthday...everyone go check it out

Pixar: 25 Magic Moments its called, its on bbc iplayer for those who can see it

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
Great article, and I agree it should be nominated.

bahumat42: While I don't entirely agree with your list (We'll never agree on a top ten I think, and there are too many movies I've not seen this year...) you've still got room for two more movies in there as far as nominations go...

So even if you wouldn't pick it as the winner, what would you fill your list out with if not TS3?

thecourtlibrarian

Jan 14, 2010
HigherTomorrow said:
I'm going to begin by saying that I rarely enjoy seeing your name on an article, Elizabeth Grunewald, but I definitely, 100%, agree with this one.
Agreed. Thanks for the article, Elizabeth, and I hope your pieces continue to get better.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Elizabeth Grunewald said:

I'll stand behind this movie, to infinity and beyond.

Read Full Article
If the oscars are doing the "ten nominies for best picture" again (and they have no reason NOT TO now that they done it) it WILL be nominated. It was critically acclaimed, the highest grossing film of the year, their is only one negative review of it on Rotten tomatoes and the guy is an obvious troll, Up was nominated last year, it is going to be nominated. The question isn't if it will be nominated, but will it win. If Toy Story 3 wins the big award, it will change so much about hollywood for the better. After over a century of animation being "second string", "for kids", and "not worth important Hollywood's time", Toy Story 3 getting the biggest award any film can get will forever change that. Animation, finally, will get the respect it has tried so hard to get for so many decades.

Tazzlefrass

Libido Knievel
Oct 12, 2009
Toy Story 3... wow, what a way to wrap up a series, you know? I'm sure a lot of us feel like we grew up with the three movies. I know I saw the first movie when I was around four or five and now I'm around Andy's age. I grabbed a couple of my old Transformers when I came home from the theater. Transformers and tissues. I mean, a tissue. Because I only had one tear. A very manly one. The same tear I would get if someone left a Doritos bag on an interstate.

Will Toy Story 3 win? I sure hope so. As was pointed out previously in this thread, Hollywood's always treated animation like its second banana and seemed to look down upon it. If it doesn't win, here's me pulling for Black Swan as both are transcendent pieces of film.

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
bahumat42 said:
Angnor said:
Great article, and I agree it should be nominated.

bahumat42: While I don't entirely agree with your list (We'll never agree on a top ten I think, and there are too many movies I've not seen this year...) you've still got room for two more movies in there as far as nominations go...

So even if you wouldn't pick it as the winner, what would you fill your list out with if not TS3?
I likeed how to train your dragon, an

ahh yeah i can see how it might be interpreted that i don't believe it should be nominated. And for clarification purposes, it definitely does. And that wasn't my top whatever of the year that was just a list of better nominations this year (in my opinion). Although i do think anybody raving about ts3 should give httyd a good shake, its very entertaining.

Although ts3 would have to stave off the fighter and animal kingdom for a spot (imo) i my books it just slightly beats the fighter because that movie didn't resonate with me well.
I liked HTTYDragon, but the overall story arc was too predictable for me to consider it better than TS3. TS3 was great, though it has been argued the story was a darker re-working of TS2, I felt it hit everything just right.

Or maybe it boils down to the fact that I never had a pet that was just mine (still have some of my old Star Wars figures...), so I connect better with TS than HTTYD (which can grab a few tears if you're in the right mood..).

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
While Toy story 3 was in my top 3 I have to give best film of the year to "Inception".

Sadly TS3 will end up with the animation award and maybe music or something.