"Forced Castration" Coming to Age of Wushu

Angus

May 29, 2013
[quote="Andy Chalk" post="7.822873.199[/quote]

Its not that weird actually, crastrated slaves were common in china.

Id be surprised if anyone was ok with female genital mutilation though, even if it is just as forced IRL.

rocketdive2001

Jan 2, 2008
Erm .... choppy choppy your wee wee for a club membership?

Thanks but no thanks ... not gonna even come close to this MMO ... you can keep the sunflower manual to yourself!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
knight steel said:
For all you people saying Awesome-I wonder How you would react if the gender were swapped?

My guess there would be a huge outcry and anyone supporting the game would be called a misogynist but because It's a guy I guess it ok.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a cool idea regardless of the gender if it happened to a female avatar I would like the idea just as much.

I'm just pointing the hypocritical double standard is all.
Females can be kidnapped and sold as sex slaves, so I doubt the players give a shit.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Strazdas said:
Sectan said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you. A good amount of people here would have no qualms with shooting a Russian in CoD or Battlefield, even it if just included shooting him in the leg to stop him from running, but I doubt very many people would want to torture that same NPC. Torture involves intent to cause pain to someone in a state of helplessness and has little to no justification, whereas violence has some sort of motive to it other than simply causing pain regardless of how shitty the motivation is.

Torture is violent, but not all violence is torture. Punching someone in the face is completely different than say...tying someone down and punching them in the face. I guess the only real difference is intent.
you completely missed the point. Shooting him in a leg IS torture.
Torture is the practice or act of deliberately inflicting severe physical pain and possibly injury on a person
Violence is deliberate physical pain (severity can be discussed, i admit).

Capcha: we go forward
i sure hope so.
Yeah I hope we can. It's starting to become an argument over semantics. I still think there's a difference, but I've already discussed it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Fdzzaigl said:
oldtaku said:
ShirowShirow said:
Oh god what no that's not... AAAAAAAAH!

If I ever play Age Of Wushu I will DEFINITELY make a female character.
You sure? It's also got a mechanic for kidnapping female chars and selling them into sex slavery. This is one f@$#ed up MMO.
Wait...are you serious?
Yeah, but pretty much anything can be sold into prostitution. Further hilarity ensues with the generally bad translations. AKA: you're selling men and women into "bondage" (and that's really not the worst of it).

Put epic lulz will be had with this clan once it releases in the west (which will probably be very long). Even though it's scary as shit as well. There are people in Wulin (EU version) who are already sharpening their knifes :p

Happy I rolled a female, we get to join a clan with pretty daisies and fingering techniques :p
game's already out in the west, you can go check right now

just released a couple months ago

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Thyunda said:
Lightknight said:
Wow, that'd certainly make for an interesting "And that's when I got out of an MMO" story.

This is, remarkably distasteful. A lot of PR though.
Eunuchs were real people in the setting. What exactly is distasteful about this? Or...or is this too mature a subject for videogames to depict?
What if there was a club for gang rape victims? Gang rapists were also real people in the setting. What exactly is distasteful about this?

This isn't too far away from getting gang raped. You are being assaulted by five people who mutilate your sexual organ. There's a lot wrong and a lot distasteful about it. Common for the era versus allowed in a video game are two very different things. It is very distasteful. I don't play the game, having this happen to me in a game would result in me quitting. So there you have it.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Lightknight said:
Thyunda said:
Lightknight said:
Wow, that'd certainly make for an interesting "And that's when I got out of an MMO" story.

This is, remarkably distasteful. A lot of PR though.
Eunuchs were real people in the setting. What exactly is distasteful about this? Or...or is this too mature a subject for videogames to depict?
What if there was a club for gang rape victims? Gang rapists were also real people in the setting. What exactly is distasteful about this?

This isn't too far away from getting gang raped. You are being assaulted by five people who mutilate your sexual organ. There's a lot wrong and a lot distasteful about it. Common for the era versus allowed in a video game are two very different things. It is very distasteful. I don't play the game, having this happen to me in a game would result in me quitting. So there you have it.
You're perceiving it as a sexual assault, which is not how the cultural setting portrays it. Sure, it's morally wrong, but so is murdering other people - We want mature games with serious topics and now you're upset because your character is vulnerable in more ways than just respawning? Well damn, I wouldn't read any books on the setting, those have eunuchs in, and I'm pretty sure that's distasteful.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Lightknight said:
What if there was a club for gang rape victims?
I assume you mean one that also went around raping people? Fine with me. Why not? It is not reality. It is fantasy. People play the game voluntarily. They don't even have to pay money to play it, apparently.

Lightknight said:
Common for the era versus allowed in a video game are two very different things.
Yes, one is reality and the other doesn't matter at all because you never have to play the game.

Lightknight said:
I don't play the game,
Then why do you care?!

Lightknight said:
having this happen to me in a game would result in me quitting.
And I haven't played Angry Birds and don't think I'd like it much-- I can imagine that not enjoying a game would result in me quitting. I quit playing Civ 5 for awhile and booted up Civ 4 and Alpha Centauri because I was annoyed at the 1 unit per tile change. So what?

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Are those Rootless Clan guys doing this just to be dicks(heh), or are they looking for new recruits?

Because if they are looking for new recruits then this is pretty fucking stupid, i could understand if they did it voluntarily, but i doubt someone would join the order that cut off his dick by force

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Thyunda said:
You're perceiving it as a sexual assault, which is not how the cultural setting portrays it. Sure, it's morally wrong, but so is murdering other people - We want mature games with serious topics and now you're upset because your character is vulnerable in more ways than just respawning? Well damn, I wouldn't read any books on the setting, those have eunuchs in, and I'm pretty sure that's distasteful.
Yes, this is correct. I am indeed percieving forced castration as sexual assault. It being cultural does not make it less so.

Seanchaidh said:
I assume you mean one that also went around raping people? Fine with me. Why not? It is not reality. It is fantasy. People play the game voluntarily. They don't even have to pay money to play it, apparently.
This is a club of Eunuchs that go around castrating peoples. So yeah.

Yes, one is reality and the other doesn't matter at all because you never have to play the game.
I fail to see the relevance to whether or not I like the implementation of it. A game about pedophiles can still warrant comments of the distastefulness of its existence. It being a game or any other form of art doesn't mean that all opinions on the matter are magically null.

Then why do you care?!
I care about games. This is a topic about games. If this were to happen in a game I play, it would ruin the game for me. Do you have some kind of dislike of people posting their opinions on topics that are likewise on the internet to entertain said postings? Are you challenging my ability to find the subject matter interesting enough to engage in discussion on it? Forgive me if that seems overly defensive, but as you question my motives for caring I'll return the favor by questioning your motives for devaluating my having opinions on the matter. It's merely curious to me that my ability to care about a topic not immediately relating to myself would be your line of discussion more so than me taking offense to it.

And I haven't played Angry Birds and don't think I'd like it much-- I can imagine that not enjoying a game would result in me quitting. I quit playing Civ 5 for awhile and booted up Civ 4 and Alpha Centauri because I was annoyed at the 1 unit per tile change. So what?
Let's say you enjoy a game that you've invested time and perhaps money into. Then say that the developers implement something that makes you hate the game. This is a change that is quite bizarre rather than something more basic.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Lightknight said:
Seanchaidh said:
Let's say you enjoy a game that you've invested time and perhaps money into. Then say that the developers implement something that makes you hate the game. This is a change that is quite bizarre rather than something more basic.
From what little I know of this game, but have read here, it sounds like this idea fits right into the tone and themes of the game and is thus fair play. You don't play the game, though. So where is the grievance here? I've yet to hear of anyone who plays this game being royally pissed off about it. The issue, if there were such an outcry, would be like what happened with Star Wars Galaxies-- the game changed, people didn't like it.

Returning to the point of you quitting the game because of forced castration-- there are plenty of people who would quit a game like Ultima or Darkfall because they lost all the stuff they were carrying/wearing when they died-- and I'm willing to bet many would consider that worse than what is coming to Age of Wushu. There are people who would quit a Diablo game if their high level hardcore character died. This castration thing is small potatoes.

If this were to happen in a game I play, it would ruin the game for me.
So the game isn't for you. So what?

It's not that I think you shouldn't express your opinion-- it is that there is no point in anyone caring about your opinion of some game assuming that there is an audience for that game that isn't you. You don't play it. You don't want to play it. You have no stake in the matter, no chips on the table. There are people that do play it. There are people who like the "distasteful" behavior that is allowed. Their preferences vastly outweigh yours. What I object to is the idea that every game should be a game that I like, or that you like, or that any particular group of people likes, and that no other games should exist. You make it sound like the devs of this game should not do what they are doing-- and that is not a matter in which your opinion carries any weight whatsoever.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
Isn't this the same game where your character can be sold into prostitution or something while you're offline? Not surprised. It is funny to watch the dudes cringe and talk about re-rolling. What does it matter? Not like you need the virtual parts that you'll never even see. Saying this as a guy, it sounds kind of hilarious. Get a hit squad of eunuchs in your guild to castrate any guy that does you dirty.

I will say, though; it reads as sexual assault, which makes me uncomfortable as fuck. You can say it suits the setting, and I won't disagree, but that doesn't mean I want games based on European medieval shit to start allowing the wanton groping/rape of female avatars or NPCs or whatever. So I'm of two minds about this, not as a player of the game, but just as a person thinking about it. I like the idea of joining a crew of badass kung fu eunuchs. I don't know that I like the idea of a gang of them holding you down and carving up your privates, not out of some weird masculine squeamishness, but just because it's a pretty grievous kind of assault to perform on a human.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Lightknight said:
Then don't play MMOs. They change by nature.

Incidentally, cultural castration isn't a sexual assault whether you perceive it as one or not. It's an act of torture and humiliation. Or you could be wholly ignorant of the game's setting and view it purely from a modern Western perspective. That's what educated and open-minded people do in this day and age, correct?

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Nopenopenopenopenopenope...

Just fucking nope. Won't touch this with a ten foot pole.

Fuck torture, I don't like it.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
knight steel said:
For all you people saying Awesome-I wonder How you would react if the gender were swapped?

My guess there would be a huge outcry and anyone supporting the game would be called a misogynist but because It's a guy I guess it ok.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a cool idea regardless of the gender if it happened to a female avatar I would like the idea just as much.

I'm just pointing the hypocritical double standard is all.
I think its pretty horrific as is, and all kinds of messed up. I just hope this feature will NOT be making its way outside china if the game does.

(edit) goddamnit I hate it when I forget a very important word when typing out a sentence.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Fdzzaigl said:
Yeah, but pretty much anything can be sold into prostitution. Further hilarity ensues with the generally bad translations. AKA: you're selling men and women into "bondage" (and that's really not the worst of it).
That's not bad English. That's actually perfect English. Bondage can be a noun that means "the state of being a slave."

You're selling them into bondage, i.e, selling them into slavery.