Forespoken Demo Impressions - Forget it

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
He's spot on for most of it sadly (although the world has 3 body of water you can jet across).

It's sad, with a good writer and maybe a few more months of development the game could have geniuenly be interesting, but I suspect that most people were already well on their way to forgetting the game even existed by the time Yahtzee review came out.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
He's spot on for most of it sadly (although the world has 3 body of water you can jet across).

It's sad, with a good writer and maybe a few more months of development the game could have geniuenly be interesting, but I suspect that most people were already well on their way to forgetting the game even existed by the time Yahtzee review came out.
I’m still interested personally, I thought the demo was a lot of fun but I don’t see the game having $117 AUD worth of value. $50-$60 perhaps. So until it hits a price that aligns with my perception of its value, it ain’t coming off the Wishlist.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I’m still interested personally, I thought the demo was a lot of fun but I don’t see the game having $117 AUD worth of value. $50-$60 perhaps. So until it hits a price that aligns with my perception of its value, it ain’t coming off the Wishlist.
yeah SE have been discounting their game pretty quickly, I got for 30% before it released and game that SE release last year have already hit 50% off, probably will be that price in spring sales.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
The last round of reviews really killed any remaining interest for me. I was willing to go along with a mediocre game that lets my fly-run-magic-fight around but if the combat is also lame AND the world is drab AND the characters aren't particularly cool? no thx

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Someone get this woman a copy of Streets of Rage 4, Street Fighter 3 to Street Fighter 5 (& 6 when it eventually comes out this year), the recent King of Fighters games, and Zombie Army 4 (each of the four characters you can play in single player and they have their own unique dialogue when not in co-op at least). Pronto, so she can wash the bad taste out of her mouth! I know these are games with an ensemble cast, but the black woman in all those games are winning way better than Fey. They're either nicer people, charming, have interesting character depth or backstories, and have better designs. And of course, are actually fun to play.
It's also interesting a game filled with stereotypes (ones that I personally don't see a problem with) Punch Out! For the Wii, has Sandman as the final opponent and is just a boxer with no stereotype attached to him.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The last round of reviews really killed any remaining interest for me. I was willing to go along with a mediocre game that lets my fly-run-magic-fight around but if the combat is also lame AND the world is drab AND the characters aren't particularly cool? no thx
I think the combat is pretty good. The game has all the mechanics of a good game, just none of the content.

It's also interesting a game filled with stereotypes (ones that I personally don't see a problem with) Punch Out! For the Wii, has Sandman as the final opponent and is just a boxer with no stereotype attached to him.
Isn't that because he's basically just meant to be Mike Tyson, only without actually calling him that?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think the combat is pretty good. The game has all the mechanics of a good game, just none of the content.

Isn't that because he's basically just meant to be Mike Tyson, only without actually calling him that?
Nah, Sandman was already in Punch Out! He DOES have a few moves like Mike Tyson in the rematch fight but that's more a nod to the NES game than something about Sandman.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The first costume, he is meant to be a combination of Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier. In Title Defense, he's definitely got Mike Tyson vibes. But at the end of the day, regardless of either form, Mr. Sandman is just a boxer with no gimmicks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still not big on High On Life's humor. There is a difference, but that doesn't mean much to me when it's done so poorly on both ends. The Devil May Cry series, other than the second game & reboot, does quips the best. Mainly because they're not doing it 24/7 on every single scene. These games know when to have breathing room and do it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Damn that's harsh. Like... wow. SE making Google look lenient.
Well, if the first thing they made on their own was a complete fuck up and - my personal enjoyment aside - Forspoken does appear to be exactly that, this is a fairly understandable consequence.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Well, if the first thing they made on their own was a complete fuck up and - my personal enjoyment aside - Forspoken does appear to be exactly that, this is a fairly understandable consequence.
It's just how fast they did it that's shocking to me. Like this was already in the works even before the game released.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
It's just how fast they did it that's shocking to me. Like this was already in the works even before the game released.
Well they probably had a deal like "you need to sell X units to be independent" and my guess is they came way way short of that. Maybe when they left SE they have had to take on some dept too?

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia