Forespoken Demo Impressions - Forget it

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
That's a good question. I suppose it's trying to emulate the combat feel of perhaps a shooter, because one of the spell schools is basically a long range weapon so the triggers makes it feel like a shooter in a way. But that breaks down when you swap to the melee spell school and you wonder why you could just have both schools active and put the melee spells on square and triangle and leave the ranged shit to the triggers. That would make sense.

I think there also is a problem where the japanese don't seem to understand open world game design in general. They think size is what makes an open-world great (Elden Ring, Breath of the Wild, XenoBlade, etc) Too often the maps are just empty with vast distances between things that are interesting and what's actually interesting is often repetitive.

I think the only Japanese games that do open world well are the Yakuza games.
I'm pretty sure this is a common complaint about "western" games too.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is a common complaint about "western" games too.
Not really. GTA's are pretty well liked. Horizon's open world isn't an issue, The witcher 3 is one of the best open world games ever made, and Spider-man is wonderful.

The only "western" open world games that get shit on are Ubisoft ones, but that's mostly because they are the fucking same everytime.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
think the only Japanese games that do open world well are the Yakuza games.
That's because those open worlds tend to be smaller and densely packed with sub-quests, and leisure reactivities your character can do when not doing a main story mission.

You can add Tango Games to the list. Though I have not played Ghost Wire Tokyo. I have played Evil Within 2. Similar to the Yakuza games, Union doubles as a semi-open world and hub area. There are tons of a side quest that reward you for either doing or completing them. Do I get new weapons, new lower or character info, or cease Sebastian's past and personal struggles. The open world in Sonic Frontiers is actually great too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not really. GTA's are pretty well liked.
Depends on which ones you are talking about, and those that have aged well or not.

The witcher 3 is one of the best open world games ever made,
Debatable. Nothing against The Witcher 3, but I've heard too many people say that about almost any open world game since the 7th generation. Before that point, it was either Just Cause 2 or Saints Row 2.

As for Horizon, there were a few that had a problem with the open world or felt it didn't do too much different from what Ubisoft was doing. Robot animals and dinosaurs aside. Spider-Man of course, is doing wonderful like you mentioned. Most superhero or superhero style games with an open world, tend to do fine.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The witcher 3 is one of the best open world games ever made
TW3 is a great game brought down by the fact that its open world, as someone who did 100% of the activity, that was the wrong way to play that game and I should have just skipped everything except main storyline and a couple of major side quest.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Depends on which ones you are talking about, and those that have aged well or not.
Most of those badly aged arguments are about the gameplay itself not really the worlds though. Yeah some of those GTA's are a bit rough by today's standards but their cities are universally pretty good.

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
When Forespoken was first reveled I assumed it will turn out to be one of those overhyped-till-outta-space-but-nonetheless-duds titles (cough* No Man's Sky cough*) that's supposed to "breach genres and drive the industry forward" and it seems I was right. Even at the dawn of 2023, there are very few actual reasons to buy a PS5 (with Demon's Souls topping that list). And this is coming from a diehard PS fan. Bloodborne 2 can't come soon enough...

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Bloodborne 2 is never happening. I don't know why people keep whipping themselves into a frenzy leading to disappointment. The closest you're going to get is Lies of P.
Same reason people keep believing in Half Life 3. Shit aint happening ever never ever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Same reason people keep believing in Half Life 3. Shit aint happening ever never ever.
I still remember on the old Escapists forum, the dead IMDb forums, and the old GT forums that people got pissy whenever I said Half-Life 3 would be the new Duke Nukem Forever.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I still remember on the old Escapists forum, the dead IMDb forums, and the old GT forums that people got pissy whenever I said Half-Life 3 would be the new Duke Nukem Forever.
I mean....at least Duke Nukem came out.