Forgotten TV Shows

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
There's a difference between TV shows that get canceled and still find their audience like Firefly and shows that air seemingly without anyone knowing and get canceled. Here are 2 shows that I think will be forgotten (especially the 1st one listed).

I just bought The Good Guys on DVD and re-watched the whole series (just 1 season) since it's been awhile since I've seen it. And, the show is so funny, Bradley Whitford as Dan Stark is just amazing. Colin Hanks plays a perfect straight man character. The soundtrack is pretty much all classic rock and it's great. The editing of the show is great as well, each episode jumps around the timeline much like Pulp Fiction.

Probably my favorite cop show of all-time is Life with Damien Lewis. His Charlie Crews character was wonderful. The show was pretty creative with its cases considering how many procedural cops shows everyone has seen. The soundtrack of this show was also amazing with a majority of tracks from unknown artists. Sadly if you buy the DVDs or stream the show all the original music has been replaced, which I why I haven't purchased them. If you are interested in the show, track down the originally aired episodes somehow. I have a feeling Life won't end up being "lost" due to people discovering it due to enjoying Damien Lewis' other shows.

Nov 28, 2007
One show that always pops to mind for me is Jake 2.0. It was a show back in the 2000's (I think) about an NSA computer tech who basically gets super tech powers after getting infected by nanobots (again, 2000's). It was and is a bit cheesy, but I liked it enough to be proud of owning the DVD set for the entire run of the show. All 16 episodes of it (4 of which didn't make it to air, apparently).

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
thebobmaster said:
One show that always pops to mind for me is Jake 2.0. It was a show back in the 2000's (I think) about an NSA computer tech who basically gets super tech powers after getting infected by nanobots (again, 2000's). It was and is a bit cheesy, but I liked it enough to be proud of owning the DVD set for the entire run of the show. All 16 episodes of it (4 of which didn't make it to air, apparently).
I watched Jake 2.0, it was at least pretty decent from what I recall. I could've sworn it got a second season though.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Anyone remember Greg the Bunny? Y'know, the show about puppet actors working on a kid's TV show? Starring Seth Green? No? Just me?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
Anyone remember Greg the Bunny? Y'know, the show about puppet actors working on a kid's TV show? Starring Seth Green? No? Just me?
Eh, either remember that or something like it, in that I saw a forgettable episode once way past prime time at night.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CrazyGirl17 said:
Ah, yeah, that show was awesome. I still remember one quote where a character couldn't say "a'ight" and Seth Green's character said something like say "A light, then remove the 'L'"

Searching Greg the Bunny on Amazon yielded yet another FOX show that was awesome and got canceled; the live action Tick TV show with Patrick Warburton.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only one I can think of are The Tick and Wonderfalls but they're not exactly forgotten.

Nov 28, 2007
Phoenixmgs said:
thebobmaster said:
I watched Jake 2.0, it was at least pretty decent from what I recall. I could've sworn it got a second season though.
Nope. They had plans for a second season, but due to low ratings, the show was cancelled before the full first season was aired.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
NewsRadio.

It was the show Phil Hartman was a part of before he died. I don't hear very much about it anymore, but the entire show was hysterical, and there really wasn't a character who wasn't funny in some form or fashion. Phil may have stolen the show every time he was on screen, but that doesn't mean everyone else didn't get their moments.

It just kinda fell apart after he died.

Chanticoblues

Apr 6, 2016
On the Air by David Lynch and Mark Frost. It aired the year after Twin Peaks did and no one cared about it.

It's a madcap comedy about a variety/sketch television show in the 50's, and it's probably the wackiest, funniest thing Lynch has ever made.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
New York Undercover. I don't ear anybody talk about that anymore. It's was the Miami Vice of the 90s and took place in the same universe as Law & Order. Sometimes characters from that show would appear in NYU. It lasted four seasons, and there has yet to be box set at all. There's a box set of all the other Law & Orders and its failed spin-offs, but they can't bother release for a show that only had four seasons? What the hell?

My theory is because of the licensed music, mainly composed of Hip-Hop and R&B, was used, but Miami Vice was able to all of its seasons released with all of the music intact. Sometimes in new York Undercover, you would see the person or group performing at the end of each episode at the bar the main characters go to. That was rare back then, and you won't see something like that now at all.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
I liked that show...didn't it have Eugene Levy in it as Seth Green's Dad? I also recall Seth wearing a shirt on one episode featuring a Proto-Stewie from Family Guy...I really liked that show.

Another puppet-based show I really liked back in the day was Crank Yankers. That show may have been sued since their theme song sounded so similar to the Cave Theme from Gen 1 Pokemon.

Sonmi said:
I don't know... Moral Orel?
That was one of my favorite Adult Swim shows. Great stuff.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
inu-kun said:
Seven Days, had a cool premise, never understood why it didn't get a cult following.
I really loved that show, though it did run out of steam fairly quickly.

It was a great concept, and overall they handled it pretty well, but I'm not sure it wouldn't be better suited to a big budget movie rather than a TV series where each week you have to come up with yet another way for the world to end so Frank Parker can go back seven days and undo it.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
John Doe, it was an interesting take on an alternative detective show. Amnesiac who wakes up knowing practically everything in the encyclopedia and then some trying to Sherlock cases and work out who he is. Then it went a bit sci-fi at the end of the season and I can understand why it started losing viewers and canceled.

Made a bit more interesting since we see through his eyes at times and he's color-blind

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
One of my all-time favorite obscure show is God, The Devil, and Bob. This scene does a great job explaining the show and give you a taste of it's humor. Featuring the voices of James Garner, Alan Cumming, and French Stewart, respectively.

I can't just settle on one clip of The Dana Carvey Show to demonstrate how brilliant it was. Just click on the link provided to the IMDB page. The cast and writers have went on to do ground-breaking work. It still astounds me that they were all together in one show that only lasted eight episodes.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115148/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Exley97 said:
Undeclared.

Fuck Fox for cancelling that show.
Same with Freaks and Geeks (lots of the same people behind it) even though it wasn't on Fox and is more remembered. Just think of the lineup you can make with great canceled Fox shows, you'd be able to fill the prime time lineup every night.

BabySinclair said:
John Doe, it was an interesting take on an alternative detective show. Amnesiac who wakes up knowing practically everything in the encyclopedia and then some trying to Sherlock cases and work out who he is. Then it went a bit sci-fi at the end of the season and I can understand why it started losing viewers and canceled.
I mainly remember John Doe as the show that got a full season instead of Firefly (which was way way better; Browncoat for life!) when they were both on Fridays back-to-back. Although both shows were doomed due to the Friday time slot. I remember John Doe being at least decent as I watched the whole season. I still recall thinking the whole last episode never happened as I remember all the cast had either mustaches or beards in the last episode or maybe they just did that because they knew it was the last episode.