Former Dev: WoW Has Killed the MMO Genre

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
While he's right, what he has to realize is leveling can still be fun for new players. My friend recently got WoW and he's having a blast leveling up. He's not doing it ultra fast, he's exploring a lot and taking his time to know his class and do some low lvl PvP.

Then you take players like me, who have been playing since Vanilla and it's just ridiculous to assume we're still going to find leveling fun. I have 4 max lvl characters and I've seen just about every quest there is to see, every single zone, every dungeon, every "secret" area. You just can't expect anybody who's played for more than 2 years (and it's quite a few) to still be invested in the leveling scene.

Is the leveling too fast and trivialized? Yes. But only when you know that end game is where the game is truly at. I'm hiding this from my friend so that he maintains his innocence and levels at his own pace. That in itself is a problem but I enjoy WoW and have for many years. I'm hoping Blizzard finally shakes things up with the new expansion but I'm not holding my breath. I've quit before and I'm not opposed to quitting again but at the moment I feel the game is fine.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
RJ 17 said:
"Sometimes I look at WoW and think 'what have we done? ... "And it worked. Players came in droves, millions of them. But at what cost?"
I got a REALLY good laugh out of these two lines. Not because I disagree with the guy, far from it. It's just I can picture these lines being said in the opening voice-over to some post-apocalyptic movie.

Really I think this guy is spot-on with his description of things. After being with WoW from it's original launch till the end of BC (shortly after Lich King launched, to be exact), he touches on one of the main reasons I finally stopped playing the game, specifically the bit about equipment in the new expansions' starting quests being obscenely overpowered in relative terms to what you had before. Think of the countless hours you spent raiding to get the awesome gear you had. I was a warlock player and I put in a LOT of time to get a full Felheart set at the end of WoW's original game...only to find it laughably inadequate when compared to the quest rewards you got in the opening quests for BC. I didn't get Lich King right away, but seeing the gear my guildmates were getting from the opening quest effectively negated all the work I had done in the previous expansion. Hours upon hours of playing the game all reduced to meaningless "You really should have done something better with your time" waste...so I was done with the game. Why bother leveling up to get to the end game and get all the epic lewt when a couple years down the line it's going to be made into a joke once the new expansion hits?
That's relative from person to person. I appreciate my efforts in, say, WoW, because when I look back at the BC and WOTLK expansions, I remember good times, not epic loot. That's the thing, the padding to all MMO's is going to be material to some degree, but what you do with it is entirely up to you. Yeah, I raided, yeah I ran dungeons a bunch, yeah the leveling was leveling was leveling, but the stuff that was inbetween, especially the stuff with the players and friends is what made for the good time, not the 1337 l00tz. Much like anything else that's virtual, its value is entirely up to how much you invest in it.

This isn't to say that your opinion isn't valid, but that's not the attitude a lot of people have about the game.

OT:
WoW is weird. I can't reasonably disagree with this guy but neither can I fully agree. I nostalgia (that's right VERBS ************) over vanilla and BC, and the experience, and the leveling, and the questing and so on and so forth, and a lot of it is actually -true-. I was immersed, I was drowning in the game. I was, also, younger. A lot of it was new, a lot of it was completely unseen before by me. Warcraft 3 is what drove me to WoW. Now? Well, I don't know. The Cata newb-zone redesign is really fun in most places. I was actually interested in the quest lines, but not the overall feeling of them. I was entertained, but it was often so tongue-in-cheek that the whole factor of "looking back" was entirely devalued. Did I think Horatio Lane in Westfall was too fucking funny? Yes. Does it mean anything to me two years down the line? Well...

As far as WoW having killed a whole genre, hah, well, maybe. I would argue that the "WoW Killers" killed the MMO genre. WoW is just the cause because its own success made it look like an infallible model worth imitating, which is simply not true. The magic that WoW rode can't really be retraced.

I guess I'll try out Firefall, but I have no great expectations of MMO's anymore. It's just not healthy.

DugMachine said:
Is the leveling too fast and trivialized? Yes. But only when you know that end game is where the game is truly at. I'm hiding this from my friend so that he maintains his innocence and levels at his own pace.
You're a good person. Just wanted to throw that out there. :D

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dragonbums said:
I fail to see how WoW in general ruined the MMO genre.

That's like saying CoD ruined the shooter genre.

Snip
But COD did ruin the shooter genre. Its so insanely popular everything is compared to it and developers want to recreate its success. Instead of making unique games, they take the elements of COD and try to rearrange them into something new. But the people who like COD already own it, so they see knock off games as unnecessary.

WOW is like that. Its too popular, too accessible. MMORPGs have to copy some aspects of it simply to get investors and corporate to agree with it. No one will green light a project if you point to a money-cow like WOW and say "we're not doing that." They would laugh you out of the board room. But the problem is WOW already has the throne. Its already on top and nothing short of shutting down the entire game, servers and all, will dethrone it. and Blizzard would never do that. They'd get sued out the ass by 2-3 million gamers within a month. WOW is like the rabid sleeping wolf in the room. So long as everyone is silent and still, it wont wake up. But try to move and create your own unique MMO, and it wakes up and turns a nice little dining room into an abattoir.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
WoW... really many seem to not read the article at all!!!

I completely agree with this guy, I played WoW for about 6 months, 3 of which were Burning Crusade.
I was/am a HUGE WarcraftIII fan and wanted to continue the lore.

The highest level I ever achieved was 45 (Priest) and even getting to that (max level was 50, later raised to 60 back then while I was playing) I felt a bit of achievement.

My problem with MMOs is that I get so easily distracted from the "main objective" and usually just running around exploring and gathering useless shit (RolePlaying was my thing in MMOs). So my last month I went from 42-45, ONE MONTH! I felt like I couldn't play the game correctly and all my friends were talking about the epic battles they did with big groups etc. I wanted to be a part of that but just playing an hour or two a day wasn't going to get me there.

The epicness in the stories of my friends was great to listen to, like I had ones beaten Illidan, Mannoroth and Archimond in Warcraft III. But I also felt the open world of WoW did not fit the storytelling ways of Warcraft, it was too open, which is why I eventually quit.

So I think WoW is too easy, there is no sense of achievement amongs my friends who still play since they can play through the boss and 2 weeks later 70% of the players have killed the same boss, it was epic before to go to youtube and see the first group who succeeded in taking down the big bad guy 3 months after the patch was released. WoW has also changed a lot lately but the "hardcore" groups who play together finish the bosses a lot earlier these days and abck in the early days of WoW.

I think it's nice for the "casual" players to be able to get the epic feeling of these battles but for me it was a bigger charm that only the elite of the players, who spent a lot of time on the game could actually say they'd done something only 2 or 3 % of the whole community had achieved.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kalezian said:
re-reading the article:

"FORMER WOW DEV: WOW HAS KILLED THE MMO GENRE"

It's isn't some offshoot MMO developer, its a guy who did work on WoW. SO I'm guessing it's safe to assume he would know a bit more about the mmo genre than most people.

He is right though, look at the endless lists of MMO's, about a good quarter are some form of WoW clone, do I even NEED to mention "World of LORDcraft"? New MMO's already have an uphill battle to get people interested, but with WoW that hill becomes a Morpheus ring and you end up going uphill while upside down.

The reason is simple, People played World of Warcraft. They expect the game to hold their hand and tell them "YOU ARE WINNAR" every time they complete a fetch 500 murlock ass quest. The second they have any actual challenge they cry how unfair the game is, how it's a casual mmo, bitching about actually going out on their own.

I would love to see people play Ultima Online before it got nerfed beyond hell.

Oh, you're putting something in your bank? well, that thief just stole all your health pots AND your weapon and is beating you to death with them because you are too stupid to pay attention.

I miss MMO's that actually wouldn't hold your hand all the way through the game like some over obsessive mother taking her 28 year old son out to the park.

But that is alright, there are a few non carebear MMO's out there, and we keep our social pool thoroughly cleansed from the unwashed WoW masses.
A former WOW develper can still be wrong about judging whole MMO audience though. yes, he probably know more than most people, he does not know everything. Youd thing a developer of the second msot selling console would know its audience, but i disgress.....

Yes, there are plenty of wow clones, plenty of COD clones, plenty of SC clones, plenty of Angry Birds clones, see the point? and yet it is somehow only MMOs that suffer from it.
What i pointed out is that you dont have to be a wow clone to be popular. Eve online, wold of tanks, and the like did it fine. heck, the very first graphic MMO (Tibia) is still running and it has no level cap or endgame.
And a good developer has said: i would rather have my players annoyed than bored. and it worked for him.
Ultima at the begining was.... raw..... i had no internet back then so only glimpses of that that i know, but yeah. still, you are taking an extreme to prove the opposite extreme, and neither is good.
yes, i remmeber playing Tibia, dieing 3 times in one day, and what do you know, the whole progress i reached in last month is obliterated. But yeah, i think modern MMos are WAY too forgiving. what is this you dont even losoe exp when you die, what stupidity is this.
carebear comment made me think you play eve.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
I always read every new quest that I'm doing for the first time, and I still stop every now and then the look around. So no, people like me will keep doing this, and others who just run through the game never gave a shit about it in the first place anyway.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Isn't having a fantastic leveling experience and great story but no focus on the end game precisely what killed Star Wars TOR's numbers around 6 months after release?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Silentpony said:
Dragonbums said:
I fail to see how WoW in general ruined the MMO genre.

That's like saying CoD ruined the shooter genre.

Snip
But COD did ruin the shooter genre. Its so insanely popular everything is compared to it and developers want to recreate its success. Instead of making unique games, they take the elements of COD and try to rearrange them into something new. But the people who like COD already own it, so they see knock off games as unnecessary.

WOW is like that. Its too popular, too accessible. MMORPGs have to copy some aspects of it simply to get investors and corporate to agree with it. No one will green light a project if you point to a money-cow like WOW and say "we're not doing that." They would laugh you out of the board room. But the problem is WOW already has the throne. Its already on top and nothing short of shutting down the entire game, servers and all, will dethrone it. and Blizzard would never do that. They'd get sued out the ass by 2-3 million gamers within a month. WOW is like the rabid sleeping wolf in the room. So long as everyone is silent and still, it wont wake up. But try to move and create your own unique MMO, and it wakes up and turns a nice little dining room into an abattoir.
Someone already posted a video on the subject. WoW never demanded that everyone follow in it's footsteps. WoW, never went out of it's way to rip apart any MMO that didn't follow it's formula. It was business suits and investors that made MMO's as they are. Nobody wants to invest in a game if it isn't WoW. Not Blizzards fault. They just made a hugely successful game. However the rest of the industry decided that WoW sales are supposed to be the new norm. Despite the fact that it's own success was abnormal.

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
I don't agree with the idea it's WoW that killed the genre. WoW took the model of end-game content being important and pumping out expansion after expansion from Everquest.

And I can tell you, grinding out levels in the Everquest days were BOOOOORRRIIIINNGGG. I remember gunning for lvl 22 on an enchanter because it meant I finally got a somewhat useful buff.

Compare that to running deadmines, or any of the quests in Westfall, no comparison. WoW was the better product.

If the majority of WoW's content is effectively skipped (which is sad b/c instances like Scarlet Monastery and Uldamon were my favorites), than why not scale these zones to your level?

I played pretty high level running MC and BWL with my guild every week for a time, plus PvP grinding and I still made time to screw around in instances like deadmines or BRD just because they were so cool.

TLDR: scale content to the players. that way if you miss it once you're high level, you can go back and experience it.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Fordo said:
I don't agree with the idea it's WoW that killed the genre. WoW took the model of end-game content being important and pumping out expansion after expansion from Everquest.

And I can tell you, grinding out levels in the Everquest days were BOOOOORRRIIIINNGGG. I remember gunning for lvl 22 on an enchanter because it meant I finally got a somewhat useful buff.

Compare that to running deadmines, or any of the quests in Westfall, no comparison. WoW was the better product.

If the majority of WoW's content is effectively skipped (which is sad b/c instances like Scarlet Monastery and Uldamon were my favorites), than why not scale these zones to your level?

I played pretty high level running MC and BWL with my guild every week for a time, plus PvP grinding and I still made time to screw around in instances like deadmines or BRD just because they were so cool.

TLDR: scale content to the players. that way if you miss it once you're high level, you can go back and experience it.
Good old EQ. THAT was a game that knew how to get the most out of the leveling experience. "Wandered too close to an opposing faction's outpost? Grats, you just died, lost 6 hours of grinding worth of exp and are now naked 4 zones away and have to run a nude monster gauntlet just to loot your own gear off of your own body. Hope you don't die again! Muhaha!" "P.S., Train to zone, VS is with them and I'm coming left!"

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
WoW hasn't changed the players expectations by introducing fast leveling, they merely reacted to what players already wanted.

The reason why people want to get to the "endgame" is precisely because they feel like worrying overly about gear that you'll just replace a day later is a waste of their time. It also severely hampers you when you want to play an MMO with friends if you have to force yourself to stay the same level that they are so you can reasonably adventure together. Once you hit max level you can play with everyone else who's max level, and players naturally want to hang out in the largest part of the community.

Levels spread out and divide the community, they artificially restrict you from really exploring the world, they take away a lot of what makes an open world appealing. Players instinctively know this, which is why they want to escape the level system.

The problem is that pretty much all MMOs have responded by making leveling faster, instead of just realizing they should either ditch leveling all together, and create a horizontal progression path, or change the leveling system in such a way that a level 1 character can meaningfully participate in the adventures of a level 100 character. I remember Ultima Online, even a character only hours old in UO could throw a healing spell on the most badass character in the realm and help him out that way. Sure, being that weak in a dangerous area was harrowing, but it was possible.

Firefall is one of those games that try their best to kind of give you the best of both worlds, but in all honesty, it just kind of falls flat. There isn't enough to do in Firefall to really work as a game that doesn't guide you along with levels, and the fact that your character has no real identity but is just any random guy in a suit makes it boring to play from a sandbox standpoint. Sandbox is all about player generated content, but you can't even generate a unique character in Firefall. All the random content that pops up in it is obnoxious to deal with. Towns get attacked, which is cool, I can totally get behind that, but more often than not you have to run 10-15 minutes to get there and by the time you show up someone else has already taken care of it.
The irony is that the main motivation to do anything in Firefall is leveling up your frames and finding the resources to upgrade them, which feels like a huge pointless grind, especially since it's one of those games that goes "Well why would people keep digging for resources if they already have the best gear? Oh oh, I know! Because their gear breaks and they have to make more of it" ...

I really wish someone would make an MMO where the reason I keep playing is the adventure. The problem is that every time someone tries to copy UOs approach to MMOs the only thing they focus on is PKing and losing gear all the time, as if those things were what made UO good. The truth is though, what made UO great was the fact that you could spend weeks exploring the same dungeon, and when you knew it inside and out and got kind of bored you could find a different one to explore. It's all the stuff that people say that defined UO that actually made it less popular than it deserved to be. What really defined it was the fact that you were constantly exploring in it.

azriel2422

Jul 19, 2010
Ferisar said:
RJ 17 said:
"Sometimes I look at WoW and think 'what have we done? ... "And it worked. Players came in droves, millions of them. But at what cost?"
I got a REALLY good laugh out of these two lines. Not because I disagree with the guy, far from it. It's just I can picture these lines being said in the opening voice-over to some post-apocalyptic movie.

Really I think this guy is spot-on with his description of things. After being with WoW from it's original launch till the end of BC (shortly after Lich King launched, to be exact), he touches on one of the main reasons I finally stopped playing the game, specifically the bit about equipment in the new expansions' starting quests being obscenely overpowered in relative terms to what you had before. Think of the countless hours you spent raiding to get the awesome gear you had. I was a warlock player and I put in a LOT of time to get a full Felheart set at the end of WoW's original game...only to find it laughably inadequate when compared to the quest rewards you got in the opening quests for BC. I didn't get Lich King right away, but seeing the gear my guildmates were getting from the opening quest effectively negated all the work I had done in the previous expansion. Hours upon hours of playing the game all reduced to meaningless "You really should have done something better with your time" waste...so I was done with the game. Why bother leveling up to get to the end game and get all the epic lewt when a couple years down the line it's going to be made into a joke once the new expansion hits?
That's relative from person to person. I appreciate my efforts in, say, WoW, because when I look back at the BC and WOTLK expansions, I remember good times, not epic loot. That's the thing, the padding to all MMO's is going to be material to some degree, but what you do with it is entirely up to you. Yeah, I raided, yeah I ran dungeons a bunch, yeah the leveling was leveling was leveling, but the stuff that was inbetween, especially the stuff with the players and friends is what made for the good time, not the 1337 l00tz. Much like anything else that's virtual, its value is entirely up to how much you invest in it.

This isn't to say that your opinion isn't valid, but that's not the attitude a lot of people have about the game.

OT:
WoW is weird. I can't reasonably disagree with this guy but neither can I fully agree. I nostalgia (that's right VERBS ************) over vanilla and BC, and the experience, and the leveling, and the questing and so on and so forth, and a lot of it is actually -true-. I was immersed, I was drowning in the game. I was, also, younger. A lot of it was new, a lot of it was completely unseen before by me. Warcraft 3 is what drove me to WoW. Now? Well, I don't know. The Cata newb-zone redesign is really fun in most places. I was actually interested in the quest lines, but not the overall feeling of them. I was entertained, but it was often so tongue-in-cheek that the whole factor of "looking back" was entirely devalued. Did I think Horatio Lane in Westfall was too fucking funny? Yes. Does it mean anything to me two years down the line? Well...

As far as WoW having killed a whole genre, hah, well, maybe. I would argue that the "WoW Killers" killed the MMO genre. WoW is just the cause because its own success made it look like an infallible model worth imitating, which is simply not true. The magic that WoW rode can't really be retraced.

I guess I'll try out Firefall, but I have no great expectations of MMO's anymore. It's just not healthy.

DugMachine said:
Is the leveling too fast and trivialized? Yes. But only when you know that end game is where the game is truly at. I'm hiding this from my friend so that he maintains his innocence and levels at his own pace.
You're a good person. Just wanted to throw that out there. :D

This ^^^...this whole exchange is good. I've played a few MMO's, and played WoW since it started. I always loved Blizzard, for me it started with Super Nintendo "Lost Vikings" game and Warcraft. WoW introduced me to MMO's and showed me a whole world of games (no pun intended) that I could try with varying degrees of similarities to WoW. I've gamed since the "old" Nintendo, so gaming isn't new to me, but the idea that the world continued when I logged off was awesome, and foreign. I don't know if WoW killed MMO's, but it definitely changed the rules. No longer were they for the niche crowds, though the niche could (and probably still can) find something in WoW to enjoy (imo). I actually play SWTOR (please don't judge me, I love star wars!) and have played in open betas for a few others and I always come back to WoW. My guild is pretty awesome, and some guildies I've become good friends with. It could also be soul-crushingly addictive to me. Yup, that's probably it

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
Frost27 said:
"Wandered too close to an opposing faction's outpost? Grats, you just died, lost 6 hours of grinding worth of exp and are now naked 4 zones away and have to run a nude monster gauntlet just to loot your own gear off of your own body. Hope you don't die again! Muhaha!" "P.S., Train to zone, VS is with them and I'm coming left!"
And... You've just described how I lost my first lvl 25 Monk's gear. =P

Like someone mentioned earlier, you could log into WoW and want to do BRD or UBRS back in the Vanilla days, but that was no guarantee that was what you were going to do. Traveling to the destination, and getting into the instance was often tricky if the opposing faction was massed just outside the instance. I used to love the challenge these little moments provided to remind you of just how big WoW was and you were just one piece of an entire community. I remember a gang of my friends on the horde would take one day a week at least to charge into menethil harbor and dance around on the roof of the town hall to take on any alliance brave enough to stop our dancing on their lands.

Being able to log in, teleport to your goal, do a fairly routine instance and log out must be rather boring.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Fordo said:
Frost27 said:
"Wandered too close to an opposing faction's outpost? Grats, you just died, lost 6 hours of grinding worth of exp and are now naked 4 zones away and have to run a nude monster gauntlet just to loot your own gear off of your own body. Hope you don't die again! Muhaha!" "P.S., Train to zone, VS is with them and I'm coming left!"
And... You've just described how I lost my first lvl 25 Monk's gear. =P
Ahh another fond memory...
"Gurgle!" has fallen to the ground.

"Ahh shit..."

I really do miss that game. At least up until late stage Luclin.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
VladG said:
Not sure what to say about this. He's not wrong, not about the leveling. When I started playing WoW it took me months to get to max level. Now you could level an alt in a week or two.
I completely agree. When WoW was first out, it took me two years to get to the top since I was busy PvPing and studying inbetween game sessions, but those few gaming sessions were absolutely amazing. I remember fondly of entire adventures being lost in WoW with a friend at my younger age and the joy it brought us. Hell, you had two level 20 Night Elf's running through Horde territory with no idea how the game works other than quests and suddenly we're in "Hostile" territory? Confusing! So we snuck past Horde NPC patrols that were way too high a level for us and tried to survey the land we've never been in befeore. We spent hours there trying to figure out what's going on, since this was when mounts were level 40 so it took us forever to travel. Hell, I uh, kind of destroyed my Heartstone by accident while I was there and my friend had to protect me for about an hour until we escaped back to Alliance territory after being chased by a few Horde players since we accidently attacked them.

It sounds boring on text but we spent literally hours walking through enemy territory new to this game having a blast back in 2004 just getting in all sorts of trouble. Every time either of us leveled up we were estatic and of course sent each other the infamous "DING!" whispers to alert one another. It was a celebration whenever one of us leveled.

Then TBC came out and we went from level 58 to 70 in 2 weeks. There were no adventures, just quests, xp, and then dailys to farm gold for mounts. It became boring, unfulfilled. Having left WoW just a few weeks before WotLK launched, I went to other MMOs but the only one that could offer a new experience was Star Wars Galaxies. All the others were just clones in some way. Now that SWG is dead, WoW is still thumping it's chest, and MMO's continue to copy it, I just left the market entirely. MMOs were my favorite during my early gaming years. Now they are dried up.

I'm not blaming WoW, but WoW was the game that brought MMO's to it's knees. I miss vanilla WoW.

(Sorry for the long response, just got swept up all of a sudden in memories)

wingweaver84

Jul 1, 2013
Who CARES about the endgame??That's not why I play.It took 2 years to level up my Warrior to 85,and I enjoyed it every step of the way.Now with Pandaria,I have the opportunity to go to 90,so if anything it's a new bullet in a long list of things I haven't done in WoW!