Former Duke Nukem Teaser Site Reveals Bombshell

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Former Duke Nukem Teaser Site Reveals Bombshell

The lawsuit between Gearbox and 3D Realms means Duke Nukem is out, and Shelly "Bombshell" Harrison is in.

A brief recap to bring everyone up to speed: In filed suit against Interceptor and 3D Realms [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131949-Duke-Nukem-Mass-Destruction-Teaser-Site-Revealed], claiming that it owns the rights to Duke Nukem and that Interceptor's game was being made without permission.

Shortly thereafter, AllOutOfGum (which is now offline) began redirecting to a another teaser site, NoGumNeeded.com, and another lengthy countdown. That countdown ended today and in its wake we have Bombshell, a game that appears very much like the one Interceptor had previously teased, but entirely without the Duke. Instead, Bombshell stars Shelly "Bombshell" Harrison, a bomb disposal expert turned mercenary who packs a bionic arm built from parts discovered in the wake of something called "the Washington incident," which is where she lost her real arm in the first place.

[gallery=2486]

"Lawsuits take time, and are often a long, drawn-out process. Meanwhile, we wanted to be productive -- our creative team couldn't wait around for the issue to be resolved," the Bombshell FAQ states. "Ultimately, we saw it as the opportunity to create our own intellectual property, and Bombshell was born. So far, it's been a blast."

Bombshell will be an action-RPG set on multiple alien worlds, much as Mass Destruction was intended to be, and Bombshell herself sounds very Duke-like: Her biography lists her "likes" as kicking ass, motorcycles and kicking ass on motorcycles, while "dislikes" include bubble gum, sunglasses and blonde hair. Speaking of Duke Nukem, the FAQ also explains that the game originally teased by Interceptor may or may not come back at some point.

"It's impossible to say what will happen in regards to our previous project," it says. "We want to make great games without sacrificing our integrity, and Bombshell allows us to do that beautifully."

Bombshell is currently expected to be ready for early 2015. In the meantime, you can find out more at NoGumNeeded.com [http://www.nogumneeded.com/].

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I guess she became a mercenary so she could afford a shirt and some pants, looks like she still isn't quite there yet.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Guess this might be ok? Seems a little flat as a character from that video but as a preview for a character I guess its ok. Um gee not really excited more confused but hey its late here and maybe its just me but this seems a quickly mashed up backup plan?

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
It's worth noting that Bombshell originally supposed to be Duke's sidekick in early versions of Duke Nukem Forever and can be seen in the old 1998 E3 trailer.

PhoenixUp

Mar 9, 2010
I just couldn't get over how cheap the character model and animations looked. Everything about it screams B-list. If this is the best that they can muster for a teaser, this game is bound for failure.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Looks like garbage. Not even talking about the character design, I'm talking about the quality of the visuals, the movement, the "environment" insofar as there is one... The whole package taken together.

This doesn't look like it was made by a development studio that has its shit together. It looks like a budding indie FPS that isn't going to be any good. It doesn't appear to have any ideas and it's not pretty either, so what's the point?

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Well here is hoping the actual game might be decent. The obvious stand-in for Duke is about as cliche as you can get though.

Sep 24, 2008
So, I was excited when I read the synopsis. Action RPGs are my crack and I can't get enough.

Then I saw the trailer. And I was actually reminded of Contagion, the zombie indie game on steam.

The trailer for contagion is very rough. But I looked at some game play on Youtube and I was moved enough to buy it. I freaking enjoy the hell out of it.

So I'm on the fence. It honestly seems like the designers really don't know how to do anything but a Duke Re-skin. Global threat, bad ass, blah, blah, blah. But if the Action RPGness is good, I won't care at all.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
OMG Marrow got her own game?
But seriously, this game would have been the cool thing back in 1992. everyone would be all "Oooh medium res explosions! And she's like a female Arnold Schwartzeneggar from Terminator 2! Top down isometric shooting, just like the arcades!" Now, it's not even good enough for a tech demo, just something a couple middleschool kids could put together in their bedroom with that $19/month Unreal kit.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
So they had to come up with a new character fast when they lost Duke and the best they could come up with was "Girl with a metal arm". The sad thing is that already makes her more of an interesting character than Duke.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
might be interesting. have to see. but this teaser surely doesnt explain much. but am i the only one who thinks she looks like the bad chick from desu ex HR? forgot her name.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
while it was really just a thrown together teaser to announce the change in the character. (its purpose...not to show off the game.)

Good on them for just moving the hell on and not destroying themselves for the lawsuit. They could easily make the game better without Duke.

yellowmage

Mar 2, 2011
Metalrocks said:
might be interesting. have to see. but this teaser surely doesnt explain much. but am i the only one who thinks she looks like the bad chick from desu ex HR? forgot her name.
Yelena Federova? Yeah, she does, kinda, mainly with the hair.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
that is some wickedly unnatural motion and shitty animation.

But seriously, what did a glass of scotch ever do to anybody? yet every time you see one in a video game it's going to get smashed. take it easy on the booze, and not like you think that means.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
PhoenixUp said:
I just couldn't get over how cheap the character model and animations looked. Everything about it screams B-list. If this is the best that they can muster for a teaser, this game is bound for failure.
Thank you. Glad to know it wasn't just me. It's like a few days work of a college student in their animation class. The eyes don't track what's going on and seem dead. The movement doesn't seem to match or be appropriate for the character model, etc.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
sketch_zeppelin said:
So they had to come up with a new character fast when they lost Duke and the best they could come up with was "Girl with a metal arm". The sad thing is that already makes her more of an interesting character than Duke.
as long as her long lost husband isnt inside that arm...

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Worgen said:
I guess she became a mercenary so she could afford a shirt and some pants, looks like she still isn't quite there yet.
I came here expecting to find somebody commenting on her attire (or lack thereof) and what do you know? The very first post lived up to my expectations. I at least give you points for managing to avoid the words "sexist," "objectification" and "problematic."

OT: The animations in the teaser trailer look kind of... well, shit. It looks like it was animated by an amateur or on very short notice. Doesn't bode well, in my eyes.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
The graphics looked outdated.
The voice acting was crap.
The only lines of dialogue were unfunny.
The female 'lead' had the same facial range as that Twilight chick.

Yep.
It's a 3D Realms alright.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It looks like someone back at HQ had this exchange:

"Oh by the way, we're supposed to reveal Bombshell tomorrow. Is that trailer done?"

"Trailer!?"

"Oh shoot. Did I not tell you?"

"No sir! I didn't know we were revealing it so soon!"

"Crap. IN-TEERRRRRRRN!"

And then this happened.

I mean, in concept, the game itself could be fine (Anyone remember "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light"?) but this... doesn't inspire hope.

Good job on the sub-I cups, though. Progress!