Former Teacher Acquitted of Videogame Massacre Threat

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Former Teacher Acquitted of Videogame Massacre Threat

A former high-school teacher who spent a month in jail for threatening to kill hundreds of people was found not guilty of "terroristic threatening" when somebody finally clued in to the fact that he was talking about a videogame.

29-year-old former teacher Jason Davis of Knox County, Kentucky was already having a rough day when he stepped out of his classroom for a moment, a quick break that led a mischievous student to hide some markers. The student later returned the markers, at which point Davis remarked that he wanted to blow off some steam by killing 500 people. His comments were overheard and reported, the police were called in, Davis was arrested and wound up spending a month in jail before he was finally released on bond.

But here's the catch: The student who stashed the markers had previously played some online games with Davis and that's what the two were talking about. Whoever heard the comment, he said, had no idea of the context.

Fortunately, it took a jury all of ten minutes to find him not guilty of "second-degree terroristic threatening"; unfortunately, it's too late to do him much good. Davis had already been notified that he wouldn't be rehired for the next school year and even though he's been acquitted, he's afraid that the charge and his month in jail will follow him wherever he goes. "He never should have been charged," said attorney David Hoskins.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.kentucky.com/2010/08/05/1378090/former-knox-teacher-acquitted.html]

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Sigh... This makes me glad I'm not a US citizen. Though I guess it's unfair of me to let one case shape my perception of how an entire country works. Still, that particular case is, in the vernacular of today's youth, messed up.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Jeeze. How much missed out police investigation would it have taken to discover that he was talking about a game? Before they effing arrested the guy, much less let the thing go to trial.

Police: What were you talking about when you said you wanted to kill a bunch of people?

Jason: I meant in a video game.

Police: Oh... Well if you actually do go kill people, we'll have to arrest you.

Jason: That's reasonable.

I suppose one could point to this as an example of the silliness in applications of zero-tolerance policies (which is what this sounds like) or as continued misunderstanding of gaming.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
A month? A fucking month in jail before the hearing?
What fucktard lawyer did that poor sod have?

MongoBaer

Jun 17, 2010
Golem239 said:
that's a load of bullshit he clearly referenced he was talking about a video game
no it's not. I agree that this is bull, but given the spate of school shootings and the lawsuit happy public this was going to happen.

I hope this guy can get something for a wrongful termination suit.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Queen Michael said:
Sigh... This makes me glad I'm not a US citizen. Though I guess it's unfair of me to let one case shape my perception of how an entire country works. Still, that is, in the vernacular of today's youth, messed up.
no, this is about how retarded the US justice system really is. it's amazing how much focus is constantly put on the BS, yet the real issues we can't seem to keep straight.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
And he doesn't even get some form of compensation?
Poor guy's practically fucked. Life may be unfair, but this is just full of shit.
*goes off to find bowel disruptor*

wraithian

May 6, 2010
MongoBaer said:
Golem239 said:
that's a load of bullshit he clearly referenced he was talking about a video game
no it's not. I agree that this is bull, but given the spate of school shootings and the lawsuit happy public this was going to happen.

I hope this guy can get something for a wrongful termination suit.
Speaking of a sue-happy public, I'm with you in this regard. I hope he sues the balls off the school district and wins.

...then, a book deal... daytime talk show slots... touring the country, leading seminars on how fucking asinine zero tolerance policies truly are (like the kid who was suspeneded/or expelled, from his elementary school because he brought a Lego gun to school--not a gun made of Legos, mind you, but a gun that one of the little Lego figures would carry)...

Coldsnap

Oct 24, 2008
Second-degree terroristic threating is a thing? (looks at source,well I'll be damned. That sounds so made up.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Who the hell was the idiot kid in his class that tattled? Did they really think their teacher was going to go shoot them up, and if so, tell them about it before hand?

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
i can yell it at a street with my friend that we are gonna kill thousends, and none give a sh*t about it...

for the OT its pretty paranoia, killing 500 people is a hard task, why bother

MintyNinja

Sep 17, 2009
I think that this man deserves a pardon. It may help salvage his career if the President will vouch for him.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
The sad part is, that's really going to follow him around wherever he goes. Guilty or innocent doesn't matter, once you've been charged with something you're tainted forever in the eyes of employers and the general public. Shit, a bogus simple assault charge from when I was sixteen that's been expunged from my record has still managed to haunt me for my entire life. Best of luck to him.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Guest_Star said:
A month? A fucking month in jail before the hearing?
What fucktard lawyer did that poor sod have?
He is a school teacher. Teachers in America aren't paid a whole lot.

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
JaredXE said:
Who the hell was the idiot kid in his class that tattled? Did they really think their teacher was going to go shoot them up, and if so, tell them about it before hand?
Probably a bubble child, that's parents blame everyhthing else except themselves for any issues that come up.