Forum Upgrades

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Forum Upgrades

The Escapist presents a newly updated forum look.

A few weeks ago, we gave our homepage a pretty big makeover. Today, we're extending that upgrade to our forums. Much like the rest of our redesign, we've left the core functionality untouched while repositioning some of the features so they're easier to use.

We've also added some fancy new upgrades for our users, like increased avatars and an extra badge. Standard avatars have moved from 75x75px to 85x85px with 120kb size limit, while Pub Club members have grown from 100x100px to 115x115px with a 250kb size limit. We've even expanded our badge count, meaning you can now have your favorite five forum awards on display instead of four. You can still access your avatars via your profile, where you can also add your fifth badge by clicking on the "Badges" tab and pressing "save order."

If you need some time to get used to the new forum style, don't worry. For now, you can still toggle back and forth between the old and new at the bottom of each page.

We hope you enjoy the latest upgrade to our site and, as always, please let us know what you think!

Thanks,
The Escapist Staff

image by wwardy

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Do we need to log in and out to get the new layout to load? Seeing the old one still.

EDIT: Just answered my own question. Holy crap this is going to take some getting used to.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
It's grey. I approve.

Though it does look kinda weird, but it matches the other changes you've been doing.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Not sure If I like this new format over the older, though there doesnt seem to be that much difference.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
They are getting worse every time!

Please, Escapist! Please just stop.

This feels like it was designed at the turn of the century.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Fappy said:
Do we need to log in and out to get the new layout to load? Seeing the old one still.

It should be working ASAP, sorry for the delay!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nasrin said:
Fappy said:

It should be working ASAP, sorry for the delay!
Poor intern :(

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Well at least we can toggle back to the old one since I can't stand your new one. Sorry but that's how I feel.

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
DVS BSTrD said:
Again I have to ask WHY?
Or did you guys have too much time in between NOT posting links to your content?
While we're happy to hear your feedback and encourage you to provide it, please make sure that your criticisms remain respectful. We work very hard to do you a service.

We've improved the functionality of the forums, fixing buttons that didn't work and whatnot. Otherwise, the only difference is color and your ability to have larger avatars and more badges. We made these changes because we considered them to be an improvement, of course.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I like the look of it, but I would have preferred it if the reply and quote buttons had stayed where they were. It's going to take a little while to get used to, kind of like when it's the new year and you keep writing last year's date.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Took a few log ins and outs, but it's working properly now. :)

Not sure how I feel about it just now, but I think I could get used to it well enough. I'm keeping the new look at any rate.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Ehhhh not really loving it, I was used to the old layout and the new one doesn't seem to improve anything, so I don't see why this was needed.

Edit: In the interest of constructive criticism I realized I should actually list my complaints

- I don't like the poster name being in a separate box from the avatar, it was momentarily confusing and now I simply find that it doesn't look as good.

- Ditto for moving the quote/reply/edit buttons to the top of the post, they were very noticeable and clear where they were, why move them?

- Biggest nip-pick of the bunch, but I just think avatars now look slightly off, not sure if its because they are larger, or because there is more empty space around them.

- in fact I just think the big-ass shiny grey bar is generally ugly the old layout felt much smaller and more sleek, the new one seems to be made to make everything unnecessarily large like whoever designed it had poor eyesight.

- Not a complaint, but with a fair number of people hating every update (some being not very nice about it) I'm starting to
a. wonder why the escapist staff hasn't just gone "fine you don't like change? then we will just never change anything. happy assholes?"
b. feel sorry for whoever is in charge of visual design

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
What?

Oh, the 'new forum' update?

*Yawn*

Us elite Pub Club members have had it for a while now.

So last week.
PubClub memberships were so 2010.

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Hmm...I think I am going miss the blue.

On a more serious note, it annoys me a bit that quote sections have such vague lines now. Difficult to see if it is a quote or a post. And the user info section could use a line that separates it from the actual post part of the post.

One thing which has never really been altered which I wish it would be, is the posts of banned and suspended members. Because of the grey filter that gets added to them it becomes rather tiresome to read them, which is a pain when you try to follow a conversation between forumites like me and banned/suspended ones. Why not just add the gray filter to the user section, but keep the post area clean?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CJ1145 said:
They are getting worse every time!

Please, Escapist! Please just stop.

This feels like it was designed at the turn of the century.
I cannot hit that toggle fast enough.

Did Ray Charles help or was it Stevie Wonder?

Dec 14, 2009
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
What?

Oh, the 'new forum' update?

*Yawn*

Us elite Pub Club members have had it for a while now.

So last week.
PubClub memberships were so 2010.
Yeah, I mean, who likes custom titles anymore, right?

[sub][sub]Don't be sad Fappy, I'm sure you like your lame ass normal title.[/sub][/sub]