Forums you used to love.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
A few years ago now, I was a member of a forum called Deus Ex Machina. I stopped posting on there after my boyfriend of the time found out and started finding all my old posts on there from before I had even met him (yeah, needless to say I wasn't impressed). Anyway, I managed to find it again but to my despair it's been dead for a while now.

I always enjoyed the camaraderie on the forum,and while there's always good stuff on the Escapist forums it's pretty big so I always just feel like a lurker who doesn't recognise people unless they have particularly interesting avatars.

Anyway - what kinds of forums did you used to contribute to? Do you still? Do you miss old forum buddies? And the like.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I used to hang out on the WotC's MtG Rules board, back when I was a DCI Judge.

However, when M2010 noobified the rules, I gave that all up.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Mugen Fighters Guild. It was a nice forum, filled with diverse person. Great place, unfortunately, I stopped going there simply because it no longer held my interest.

I still go there though, it's nice to see it flourishing. It taught me the ethics of posting in a forum. And for that! I'm thankful. =3

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this is my first forum so I cant say I have any I "used" to love

I havnt become too dynical and jaded about the escapist yet

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
Vault101 said:
I havnt become too dynical and jaded about the escapist yet
That's good! There are the odd posts that just descend into flame wars but most people on here seem pretty decent and level headed.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
The only forum I've contributed to before this one was a pokemon forum, I have to say it had the friendliest attitude I've ever seen in a forum, the troll or griever count was virtually zero. I didn't stay very long though, only around 150 posts I think, because sadly there simply wasn't much to talk about, I'm a pokemon fanboy but even that couldn't sustain me that long. One of the reasons I stick around the Escapist even though I don't play video games much any-more is because of this place's wide-ranging non-gaming discussions.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
The old World of Warcraft forums. I think last time I posted there was maybe mid-2009. I could never go back to those now though. Partly because my Battle-net account is inactive, but also because I'm from Sweden, which means I'm also from Europe, which in turn means I have to use the European forum. This means that not everyone will have a great vocabulary of English words, which would be okay, if they could at least spell them. Man, looking at it now, I can't understand how I got what half of them were saying.

I remember though, when I joined the Escapist, how amazed I was that everyone ended their sentences with punctuation.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Steam forums, I managed to rack up over 1000 posts within a few months just posting on topics giving people advice talking about various games... I then stopped playing TF2 and kind of just stopped visiting, eventually I stopped playing all the games I used to visit the forums of.

Also the WoW forums, I used to be fairly active and post quite a lot and also read a lot of topics, I liked to know the most common builds, the stats needed for them and also the best attack priorities to use. I also liked to keep up to date on any and all changes that were put into place or about to be. Then I stopped playing WoW and my contact with the forums ceased.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
This is my only forum.
I still like the escapist, but the escapist of my lurking days was a different beast altogether.
It might just be due to my nostalgia-vision, and the fact that I spent a lot of my formative years lurking here, but it just had a different feel. A different aura or ambience if you will.
One I loved.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
This is my first and only forum.

There's also a beer can stapled to my forehead. Okay, actually not, but it's a lovely image, isn't it.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
This one. I joke, I joke! I kid, I kid!

OT: This is my first forum, and despite my join date I've only really been participating in the last few months, so this is all I've known.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I don't usually grow attached to forums; the Escapist was the first time I did. And now I'm going to be a ***** and say that I liked it more back in the olden days... Part of it is prolly because so many of my friends from here have left or are all bitter and disillusioned, especially the ones who became mods. Poor them! They have to see the very worst of the forums every time he logs in. :/

I'm a little put out by the way community ideals can no longer be enforced just by peers and social dynamics, but that's just a matter of the Escapist having grown so damned big.
:eek: My 'Scapistversary is coming up soon! BETTER GO ON A NOSTALGIA TRIP

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
There was this forum I used to love called the Online Brawl Community. Really small, tight-nit group, dedicated to SSBB.

But, eventually, it got TOO small, and we changed our name, and everyone just kinda moved on.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
This one.
Seriously I mean it's still a better forum than most but now theres so many...annoying people.
Now I have to hold back a lot of things I wanna say for fear the whiners will report me and then I see a bunch of ignorant close minded people all over the place, and theres much less good philosophy talk and stuff like that.
Man i miss this site :(

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I used to hang out on this comics forums (I won't say what comic), but once I got into MLP well I came 'back' here at a friends recommendation. I rarely visit my old stomping grounds.
I had an account due to ZP and Unforgotten Realms. Never posted to much I think I may have had about 100 posts.
This is my home site now. I'm usually hidden in my group, but I'm still quite active in the forums.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
For me it'd be the Gamespot forums, that was my first venture into this great wide world called the Internet, and I learned a lot there, but I moved on as I grew up, went to the WoW forums, Light what a cesspool of hate and drivel that was, but I stuck around, played WoW for nearly seven years, and was active on those forums the whole time. I left that game, and once my account went inactive, I left the forums too.

Nowadays the only forums on my favorites bar that I actually visit are here and the Minecraft Middle Earth Forums.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Erana said:
I don't usually grow attached to forums; the Escapist was the first time I did. And now I'm going to be a ***** and say that I liked it more back in the olden days... Part of it is prolly because so many of my friends from here have left or are all bitter and disillusioned, especially the ones who became mods. Poor them! They have to see the very worst of the forums every time he logs in. :/

I'm a little put out by the way community ideals can no longer be enforced just by peers and social dynamics, but that's just a matter of the Escapist having grown so damned big.
:eek: My 'Scapistversary is coming up soon! BETTER GO ON A NOSTALGIA TRIP
This is pretty much what I think. Even though I was young and absolutely retarded at the time of the forum's "golden age", I know what you mean, and I do think that the escapist has lost that certain charm it had.
Hell the only thing I really do anymore is watch Yahtzee and Feed Dump and jump in whenever one of these threads pops up.
NOSTALGIA TRIP, AWAY!