Fourth World of Warcraft Expansion Taking the "Continent Approach"

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
When you get down to it, the continuity between BC and Northrend and the rest of the game isn't any stranger than killing the same bosses over and over again, or saving the same town from the same menace the last guy just did. It's simply an unavoidable part of a multiplayer game. The fact that it's out of order in the timeline isn't any better or worse, and I don't quite know how they'd fix it unless they went back and revamped all of BC and then all of Northrend, which seems like it would be a heck of a lot of work.

We can just pretend that stepping through the Dark Portal casts you back in time. Easier to maintain that illusion with the additions to Shattrath so that you never have to go back to the Old World until you're done. That being said, all the polish of the new Old World made the Outlands seem quite dated, while Northrend was where they introduced most of those changes. Perhaps they can introduce new 85+ content in the Outlands while refurbishing it for 60-70.

T-minus two and a half hours until Cataclysm, and so maybe three hours until the servers go down in flames from the load.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
cursedseishi said:
Well, if there is only 2 more planned expansions as rumored, the final one will be us dealing with Sargeras himself, which requires us raiding the Nether once again (which might serve as a good reason to give Outlands a slight revamp).

The next one then, will most likely be us fighting the Old Gods on their turf. The emerald dream is mostly just a shadow of the areas around it, so it would serve more as phased content, not a new continent. The Old Gods, on the other hand, are well known about, and serve as the best stepping stone towards Sargeras than anything else I can think of.
They're not stopping after 2. Crapquest II has had like 17 expansions and keeps going. No reason wow won't keep going that long, it has a better game and higher subscription count.
not to mention oncve a blizz desidgner said that WoW could go as long as the internet exists!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
darkfire613 said:
There was a rumor going around that the next expansion would be the Emerald Dream, which would avoid this issue.
This is always the rumor, first Wrath, then Cataclysm was suppose to be the Emerald Dream. I think it will play out as patch this expansion seems more likely, a couple dungeons and a raid.

Rallion

Aug 10, 2009
At this point, I'm pretty sure they've used up every major area that's previously been visited in a Warcraft game, so I think it's time for them to come up with something that's actually new. Sometimes it seems like people forget that they do have the right to do that. The seeds of most of the WoW's current content was invented from nowhere for the LAST Warcraft game, after all.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Eh, this is a reason why I'm looking forward to The Old Republic. The story/lore in WoW has pretty much been tossed by the wayside by this point.

I want an MMO where the developers don't just go, "Yeah, we might need to change the story at some point since it literally makes no sense right now. Oh well." BioWare, make my dreams come true.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Dont you dare touch outland :( Honestly the new azeroth content is nice and all (well, i kinda have mixed feelings, i wrote about it already), but i still feel outland is their best work. They shouldn't mess with that. Im sure im in the minority though. It doesn't exactly fit with the rest of the game, it feels ... outlandish. yes.

More burning legion and old gods would be great. They fascinate me.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Emerald Dream gets less and less likely the closer to the release to the Stormrage book. Rumour has it that they are going to wrap up the Emerald Nightmare thing in it, seeing as it takes place shortly after the WotlK begins, and Malfurion has returned to Azeroth as of Cataclysm.

Blizzard always manages to surprise me with their expansions, so guessing is kinda pointless, but if I was to put my money on it, I think the next expansion would be revolving around Azshara (the person, not the zone) and the naga with the 'new continent' actually being the sea (Nazjatar). Hell, through in some Burning Legion or Old Gods aswell to that mix, seeing as they seem to have a part in one expansion or another. It seems with the new underwater area in Cataclysm that they are experimenting with underwater gameplay mechanics. Undermine could be the next neutral Capital. Sure, Azshara features in Cataclysm, but not much.

Or Naga could be a new Horde race.. I doubt they have much love left for the Night Elves, and they are pretty much the Ancestors of the blood elves, more or less.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
dagens24 said:
A new continent bums me out; I find it hard to believe there would be entire un-discovered continents in Azeroth. Then again Kalimdor wasn't discovered by the Eastern World until War3... I dunno, it just kind of rubs me the wrong way.
Discovered, perhaps not...but if a new continent were to be created...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
New continent...guess the world just magically has more land every other year XD

Also just realized that the expansion is out on the "date which will live in infamy"

well played Blizzard.

p.s. good idea about making the transitions smoother. The bosses in their respective lands mite have damaged egos now that they arent as relevant any more and should seek some kind of retribution, or a few new snappy one-liners when players encounter them XD

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Well, if there is only 2 more planned expansions as rumored, the final one will be us dealing with Sargeras himself, which requires us raiding the Nether once again (which might serve as a good reason to give Outlands a slight revamp).

^I would love that. I really think the Outlands needs some more work to them anyways. It all looks so samey that is it hard to tell where you're going without a map sometimes. I never get lost in Northrend.

So Blizz is going to release an expansion or two before their new MMO is released? How's that going anyways?

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I am hoping the next expansion is The Emerald Dream, partially because I am a NE Druid and have a vested interest in that story-arc, also because Blizzard has been playing with it for a while. If you have a Private server you can see some of the test zones and there are some interesting ideas, granted a couple look like Willy Wonka type zones.

Also with a dream world you open a lot of possibility, as you can reuse a lot of older content in different ways... I mean imagine the return of Hakkar as a lvl 90 raid boss, or Nefarian...

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
I am expecting Sargeras in one these expansions. It's only a matter of which one.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
So if I started playing World of Warcraft now, would I not see all the stuff and how it was before?

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
World of Warcraft, Cleaning up the mess that Tichondrius and the Old Gods created.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Jesus christ, blizzard! We just got cata and you're already saying "Here's whats going to happen NEXT expansion." Wow... You are the speculation machine, aren't you? And I totally buy into it.