Fox Network Will Continue Raising Hope

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Fox Network Will Continue Raising Hope

The quirky comedy is the only show of Fox's new fall lineup to get a second season.

Of the new shows in the Fox fall lineup this season, one mightn't have considered Raising Hope to be the sole bright spot. The show, about a young man and his family raising a baby, was overshadowed by the marketing campaigns for the Will Arnett - Keri Russell comedy Running Wilde and the highly publicized drama Lone Star. Of the three, though, Raising Hope was the only one renewed for a second season.

Not only is the single-camera comedy Fox's highest-rated new series, but is in fact the only one that has avoided cancelation. Running Wilde got the boot earlier this season, and Lone Star was canceled almost before it had begun, airing only two episodes. Fox is pleased with Hope's performance, though, particularly with the coveted demographic of adults 18-49. Deadline quotes Fox Entertainment president Kevin Reilly as gushing, "Raising Hope has emerged as a comedic standout: wickedly smart, hilarious and full of heart...Greg Garcia and his great cast have established an appointment show on Tuesday nights this season and we're confident it's just the beginning of great things to come."

Deadline quotes showrunner Greg Garcia as commenting, "I'm happy that the show is getting another year. But the fact that I've been trying to think of a funny quote for the last two hours and this is the best I could come up with makes me a little nervous about season two." Garcia has previously found success writing and producing the series My Name is Earl, which ran from 2005-2009.

Finishing out its first season, Raising Hope resumes new episodes on February 8.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/fox-renews-raising-hope-for-season-2/]

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Hope it doesn't get canceled without a conclusion like My Name is Earl.

I really need to start watching this show.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Gahars said:
Hope it doesn't get canceled without a conclusion like My Name is Earl.

I really need to start watching this show.
A lot of My Name is Earl was apparently allegory for becoming a scientologist. The revelation has soured me on re-watching.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I'm glad they're renewing it. I only saw it a couple of times but what I did see was funny enough to warrant it becoming a regular.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I hope they keep Bobs Burgers or whatever it was called as well, that was surprisingly hilarious. Even more so when I realized halfway through that Archer voiced Bob. Danga zone!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hmmm interesting never heard of this show, but I will give it a shot.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]I hope they keep Bobs Burgers or whatever it was called as well, that was surprisingly hilarious. Even more so when I realized halfway through that Archer voiced Bob. Danga zone!
Ok. To each their own, Raising hope was... passable, but personally I found Bobs Burgers to be bland and uninteresting, and most of all, Unfunny. Granted H. Jon Benjamin does have a great voice for voice over work, but honestly I cannot think of anything hes done that doesnt fall into that god awful "anti-humor" motif. Even Archer, which is perhaps the best show hes been a part of thus far (excluding his cameos in Family guy, which increasingly not a fan of family guy either any more)I can see Bobs Burgers at least continuing, but it would be more at home with say FX rather than fox. Perhaps tied in with Archer.

But what I thought when I saw this article was "of course, this makes sense. Cancel anything with potential and extend the life of anything that is mediocre to bad. This really goes way beyond the whole Firefly thing. (not a big fan of Whedon. Only thing I actually enjoyed of his was from the end of the first season thru the second season of Dollhouse, oddly enough) But fox has had a TON of properties that they didnt even bother giving a shot, But continue pushing what is safe, cheap and easy. Sort of the "guys guide to dating skanks" technique to programming.

Its honestly hard to not want fox to do something good. Seeings how when they came out of the gate and in short order came out with cultural icon shows such as Married with children, The simpsons, and a little while after the X files. But its been quite a while since weve seen anything truly good or original come from Fox.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Fr said:
anc[is]I hope they keep Bobs Burgers or whatever it was called as well, that was surprisingly hilarious. Even more so when I realized halfway through that Archer voiced Bob. Danga zone!
He used the same voice for Coach Mcguirk too.

viranimus said:
But what I thought when I saw this article was "of course, this makes sense. Cancel anything with potential and extend the life of anything that is mediocre to bad. This really goes way beyond the whole Firefly thing. (not a big fan of Whedon. Only thing I actually enjoyed of his was from the end of the first season thru the second season of Dollhouse, oddly enough) But fox has had a TON of properties that they didnt even bother giving a shot, But continue pushing what is safe, cheap and easy. Sort of the "guys guide to dating skanks" technique to programming.
Running Wilde and Lone Star were terrible shows, Raising Hope wasn't. Oh wait I guess I should have said to each their own before I said that like you.

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
I've never seen the show but after seeing the advert for it every 5 minutes for a month, with the same agonizingly un-funny scenes, I'd never want to.
Shit, annoying adverts mean I'll never watch the show.
Also, fuck canned laughter.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Running Wilde got the boot earlier
I never saw the show during normal airtimes. Ever. And my wife goes pretty bonkers for prime time tv. When I saw a few episodes between 11 pm and 2 AM I was truly trying to hold my sides in, as I really enjoy this style comedy show.

TOO BAD.

Never heard of lone star, never heard of raising hope.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Bob's Burgers was pretty piss poor.

But I hope Raising Hope does well. Granted, I don't watch it, but I want Garrett Dillahunt (guy on far left) to do well with his acting career, I've liked his acting in everything since I first saw him on Deadwood.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Fox Network has to die, regardless which quality shows it airs. IT damages and ruins humanity as we speak.
Well dont worry. Those all mighty Dems in Congress wnat the FCC to close down Fox News and related programming.

Not that I'm sympathetic to Fox or anything. It they didnt have Animation Domination, play Judge Judy, and old episodes of Fraiser, I wouldnt watch it. Oh, and house and of course, raising hope. Love the show.

PorkChopXpress said:
Bob's Burgers was pretty piss poor.
I thought it was rather good. Besides, the guy who plays Bob was Coach Mugurk (know I misspelled that) from Home Movies, and that was my sole reason for watching.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've never heard of this show. I mainly watch NBc though (chuck on Mondays, and then their whole Thursday comedy lineup minus Outsourced and plus Parks and Rec) with some AMc thrown in.