Fox News Attacks Environmentally Conscious Games

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Fox News Attacks Environmentally Conscious Games

Games like Sim City Societies and Flower could be exposing kids to a "liberal agenda," says the news network.

When Fox News takes shots at violent games, or games that feature sexual content, you can almost see where it's coming from, but now - somewhat bafflingly - it's going after games with an environmental message, and questioning whether or not they're as harmless as they appear.

In the Fox & Friends show on Sunday, presenter Clayton Morris and online radio host TJ McCormack discussed environmental games, with Morris raising the question of whether environmentally themed games were really as admirable as they seemed, or if they just promoted a "liberal agenda." Morris and McCormack talked specifically about three games, Sim City Societies, Fate of the World, and McDonald's: The Game - an online game meant as a parody of the actual McDonald's. While neither man mentioned it directly, footage from Flower was also displayed on screen. McCormack's argument was simple: The credibility of the games was dubious because people were making money from them, and that the fear and guilt tactics used in such games were wholly inappropriate for young players.

McCormack singled out Fate of the World, saying that its apocalyptic premise was a heavy burden to place on the shoulders of a five year old, a comment that seemingly ignored the fact that the game isn't intended for children. McCormack suggested that some of the lessons - such as saying that solar and wind energy were cleaner that nuclear power - were actually wrong. Morris added that parents didn't really know what was in the games, and so could be putting material that they didn't agree with in front of their kids without realizing it.

As usual, Fox News made a token effort to appear objective by obtaining a quote from Fate of the World's lead designer Ian Roberts, who argued that games that dealt with real world issues were important. But with the bulk of the segment given over to McCormack's uninformed rhetoric, Fox News might as well not have bothered.

Debating environmental issues really isn't in my remit, but I'm actually stunned at Fox News right now. Whatever your political point of view, teaching kids to be aware of the impact their actions have on the environment is a good idea. It's also depressing, and more than a little frustrating, that McCormack is twisting the ignorance of parents and making it out to be the developers fault.

If you want to watch the segment for yourself, you can do so here [http://video.foxnews.com/v/1141465232001/video-games-go-green/ ].

Source: Gamertag Radio [http://www.gamertagradio.com/new/2011/09/fox-news-indie-games-are-corrupting-the-youth/]

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
Really? Really? Are Fox news just extremist conservative idiots just for the sake of being extremist conservative idiots?

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
With the risk of repeating myself, I have this bookmarked for occasions like this:

Dear Fox,

Best wishes,
//All of us who value common sense and critical thinking

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Fox says something stupid, no one surprised.

We could just do away with these articles and just show 'FOX IS FUCKING STUPID' every now and again, it would save a lot of effort that, frankly, Fox isn't worth.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
O_O

Now, like many I'm no fan of FoX News, but this must be the single most ludicrous thing they have ever reported on.

Fox Is now officialy agains games in wich you shoot stuff AND games in wich you don't.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Of all the... I mean, of ALL the games that have been out and are coming out, they pick THESE to rag on?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
man they are stupider than argentinian national news networks

and they got fucking tricked into believing that Grogg is a real drink

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Seriously, is there anything about games that they don't attack or think is a moral threat?

'We are outraged that games have the audacity to have environmental messages'?

Now I disagree with a lot of environmentalist arguements and opinions but I would still argue that they're allowed to hold and express their opinions and beliefs (of course providing said expression doesn't step into the realms of misinformation or manipulation but that is a completely unrealted issue), so Fox taking this stance goes beyond stupid and closed minded in my opinion.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
You know what, I think I can be okay with this. At least they aren't up there screaming for the banning of games. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go google this Fate of the World game, it sound rather interesting.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
I'm glad i'm not American, having to actually put up with something like that on TV would be horrible :/

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
When I first heard about this, I was annoyed. But then I thought to my self "hasn't Dead Island, Space Marine and Resistance 3 just been released... and they are raging at eco-games?"

Oh Fox you're so silly!

REcaptcha: mmittex fresh (if only)

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Congratulations! Your news network "Fox" leveled up!

+10 HP
+9042 stupid

Now I shall go look at these games and see if they are any good. Well done Fox!

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Kiraxa said:
teh_Canape said:
man they are stupider than argentinian national news networks

and they got fucking tricked into believing that Grogg is a real drink
Grog is a real drink. theres many different drinks it means, but one of the earliest is rum spiked with lime juice and watered down. Old British sailor rum ration. (and part of where they got the name Limey from.) The name refers to the awful taste of limed and watered rum, so a sailor would make a disgusted sound while having to drink it.
no, the Monkey Island Grogg, they called it Grogg XD

restoshammyman

Jan 5, 2009
dont you see?
fox news is trolling us.
the first troll wasnt born on 4chan, fox news is the first troll.
edit: also, i have watched the fox news video, and i agree with them on one thing. sim city societies is boring!