Fox News Begins Two-Part Series Linking Games to Mass Murder

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SSJBlastoise said:
Or it was posted to a massive site where gamers gather, say /v/, reddit or Facebook and a whole lot of people from outside of the US voted and their votes counted as a vote to Texas. I'm Australian and I checked Texas' votes before and after I voted and it rose by one vote. Though I'm sure there would be some messing around with the number there would still be plenty of "real" votes for no.

It's extremely hard to get an amorphous mass of people to all do the same thing during a site-trolling, some would claim it's impossible. It's much more likely it's one person who figured out how to vote over and over.

Off-topic: You changed your avatar and this one doesn't mess with your head :(
soon

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think the thing that bothers me the most is the redundancy of the title. "Training simulation."

Apart from that, it's FOX. The only people who take FOX seriously are old and crazy people who decided a long time ago whether or not they think games affect people's minds. The rest of the world will keep turning, and FOX will keep pandering to their favorite old and paranoid demographics.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
You know what's an even better connection to shooting sprees than games? Guns. In fact, 100% of all gun crimes occur with guns.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Calbeck said:
Welcome to the Police State everyone says they don't want.

Dude, do you even know about the NSA? It's already there mate. It's already there.

Captcha: Star Spangled. <---- WELP.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Linking events that are already an extreme statistical minority to a cause that has a sampling size in the hundreds of millions.

I'd say this makes FOX New's credibility worth SHIT, but to do that would require elevating SHIT to FOX News' level.
Ignore the media trolls and move on.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Pressing X does not teach someone who to utilise heavy arms, or make them want to go kill the 1st person they see outside.

They don't have homicidal tendencies because they play violent games, they probably get off on virtual murder
because they have homicidal fantasies. And even saying that is really, really extreme.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
And why is this so upsetting? Either the show makes up some complete bullshit in which case only the kind of idiots who already know next to nothing will be convinced - which are also the kind of people that are already dead-set on hating video games regardless of what you do.

Or the show actually makes some valid points about the connection between violent media and mentally unstable individuals, in which case all we can do is nod and acknowledge the truth.

So what does it matter?

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
To blame video games as the cause for mass shootings is much like blaming NASA for a kid shining a laser pointer in a pilots eyes. Sure, NASA shines lasers into the sky that bounce off of the moon or some other celestial body, but they didn't make the kid do the same thing (didn't happen, just an analogy). Much the same, Duke Nukem 3D isn't going to force me to kill a group of people and then say a pun. What the real problem is is personal responsibility. It is the job of individuals to parse the data they see (playing Counter Strike, slaughtering a sheep, eating a bagel) and understand what they can and can't do. If they decide to murder a group of people, that's their responsibility. They did it.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
llagrok said:
Welcome to America, leave all reasonable arguments at the door.
Please do not associate Fox News with America as a whole. They do not speak for us.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
This is such bullshit, I'm getting sick and tired of this bloody argument, and not just for the standard obvious reason of "I just marathoned all four god of war games, and I'm yet to kill a child", no, this is bullshit because people should be better than this. Over the past one hundred years humanity has advanced so far both technologically and socially, people are working hard to try and stop sexism, racism, classim, and all the other horrible isms there are, some countries are putting aside their petty differences, bleh, without getting too preachy my point is we're not doing to badly as a sentient race (yeah I get there's some pretty nasty shit still happening, but work with me here, this is just an intro). So for people to get so hooked up over games is ridiculous, turn around to someone today and tell them that Catcher in the rye was the reason John Lennon was shot, so all books are bad for children, and they'll laugh in your face....Urgh I wish people would just use their heads a little more...

Not so much related to the "Do video games turn children into Jason Vorhees (spelling?)" argument, but why does the argument never turn to the parents? We always here about how terrible video games are for children, and about the devilish retailers who gladly sell to our precious children (which is utter bullshit), but we never here about the parents who literally just buy whatever their children ask for.

I work for a video game retailer in the UK and I have to say I was absolutely appalled at the amount of people who have brought GTAV for their children without checking the games content at all, to the point when I say something like "oh just so you know this is an 18 because reasons" and they often reply with "oh yeah, well it's on their list", or "well all their friends are playing it", or even "Are you sure? They told me it dosn't have those reasons in it at all", the last one sometimes results in me being called a liar, working in retail sucks sometimes haha. But my point is it would be much more difficult for Children to place these "Training Simulators" if their parents didn't buy them for their children, and took a more active role in..you know..parenting their children, stuff like making sure a friend hasn't brought them "lets genocide three" etc, etc. Around the world their are age restrictive laws designed for this very reason, where I work, it is actually against UK law for me to sell an age restricted game to someone who cannot prove they are over said age, and it's not just a slap on the wrist affair, oh no, while I don't remember the exact punishment (feel free to correct me here) I can receive two to four months in prison, a fine that is somewhere in the thousands of pounds, and a criminal record. So yeah it's pretty serious, What I am getting at here is it is nigh impossible for a child to go and purchase a "dangerous game", stupid parents need to be educated on what the age restriction means, and in the words of the great Stan Lee, Nuff said.

(Apologies I got a little carried away with this)

TLDR version: I don't agree with Fox ^^

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Fox News can't be taken seriously anyway, I highly doubt they'll gett something out of this.

Sean Smedbron

Apr 8, 2013
**** Faux News and their mother. I can disprove this "theory" in two sentances.

Gaming is more popular now than it has ever been. The Average rate of violent crime in America is dropping.

You like that? And I'm not even on TV.