Fox Says Wolverine 3 Will Have an R-Rating

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
This is the world we live in. Instead of artistic visionaries, we have marketers. Advertisers.

I won't go as far as saying their scum. Cause they're not. They're leeches. Occasionally useful, like in medicine. But their still a blood sucking parasyte.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dalrien said:
Pardon my purposely exaggerated comment. I will never do humour again.
Even dialing it back, you're not right. So what does the "guys, I was totally joking" bit change?

Nothing, really.

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
Saltyk said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
OK but will he finally be wearing his familiar costume? Yellow and Blue, Yellow and Orange...C'mon Fox, you guys seem to be the only people who haven't embraced comic-accurate costuming until Deadpool. Anyway, here's to hoping Wolverine 3 will turn out to be a good film. I'm not as familiar with Wolverine stories as I am with other characters but hopefully they don't do the weird "he was the first ever human" thing from...can't remember which comic exactly...
I think that might be from the Marville comic. Which, I seriously doubt is considered canon. I'm pretty sure he is actually only about 200 years old. Yeah, I know that is not young, but he certainly isn't thousands/millions of years old.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it WAS Marville. My brain did a nice job repressing that one!
They did it in Marville but it was also in the regular comics and touched on in his own series. In it Wolverine, Sabertooth, Wolfsebane, Wildcat, ect all of the Beastial mutants with healing factors are really part of a separate subspecies of humanity. It's shown up hear and then though some writers either forget about it or ignore it.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Or maybe the rating system is so inherently broken and arbitrary that PG-13 has more violence than R and there's no tonal difference between the ratings anymore. That because of the stupid rules by the most puritanical ratings board since the one that killed the golden age going only by their personal hangups (also, hi ESRB) these ratings have all been pushed towards the middle grounds making them, ironically useless. A studio making an announcement like this only to point out the idiotic parody of itself MPAA ratings have become

but that's none of my business

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
From my perspective, this is only a good thing. I'm sure we'll see a Deadpool knockoff or two, but Hollywood is going to churn out crap that I'll ignore regardless. Meanwhile, there are few things I find more intolerable than a PG-13 rated action movie.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Doesn't matter what the rating is, Fox is just fucking clueless and their properties only seem to do well when they keep their grubby mitts off it and just let the talent do their work.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
The rumors about Wolverine 3's rating first popped up at this year's Toy Fair, where pamphlets were being handed out that suggested the movie would be seeking an R-rating. You can check out a photo of sad pamphlet over at ComicBook.com.
Misquote more accurate than author's intent? Time will tell. I have no problem with a Wolverine film rated R for violence. The guy regularly hacks off his opponents' limbs. If they start featuring wisecracking "Kick-Ass" Wolverine, though, they will have demonstrated that they completely missed the point.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Was the second Wolverine film changed for the DVD release? It had some pretty brutal stuff in there (multiple stabbings, blood, Hugh's ass). I'd be surprised to see most of that stuff in a PG movie.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Drummodino said:
Was the second Wolverine film changed for the DVD release? It had some pretty brutal stuff in there (multiple stabbings, blood, Hugh's ass). I'd be surprised to see most of that stuff in a PG movie.
I think that one was PG-13? To account for the blood? *shrugs* Honestly don't recall, didn't see it as I didn't think it looked that good. Plus, I knew he wouldn't actually lose his immortality/regeneration by the end of it, because you can't change comic book characters, that's a sure fire way to stop making money off them.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Aiddon said:
What I actually fear is the upcoming Suicide Squad film flopping and giving execs an excuse to not pursue mature-themed comic adaptations as Hollywood has a short memory.
Unless it stars Batman/Superman a DC movie adaptation flopping isn't anything but routine. It won't affect the industry at large very much

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
Something Amyss said:
Dalrien said:
Pardon my purposely exaggerated comment. I will never do humour again.
Even dialing it back, you're not right. So what does the "guys, I was totally joking" bit change?

Nothing, really.
Changes a lot since humor has no need to be correct, but I don't fault you for being humorless.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Aiddon said:
What I actually fear is the upcoming Suicide Squad film flopping and giving execs an excuse to not pursue mature-themed comic adaptations as Hollywood has a short memory.
Depends on how or why it flops honestly.

Now that execs know an R movie doesn't necessarily mean less money they might give a sequel of Suicide Squad a shot at an R rating even if it doesn't do spectacularly.

I'm still hyped for it, but I still don't know how they fit the Suicide Squad into a PG-13 rating without severely hampering the characters.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Well this was kind of a long time coming, considering the character is summarised in the phrase "I'm the best at what I do. And what I do ain't pretty." About time we actually saw it not being pretty. Unless by not pretty you mean X-Men Origins Wolverine which... yeah, was not pretty.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
wolverine really doesn't work well as a stand alone character he is much better as part of a team or a duo, but if they were going to do a third not only should it be perfectly canon (no deadpool with built in swords and laser eyes)they should also make it kill bill but with wolverine. BTW at least with a R rating it would be a bit more realistic (the guy has knives attached to his hands and uses them so how cant it be bloody)

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Well, an R rating has been needed for him for a while, as a solo character, he is best suited for that due to his violent nature, the fact he has huge steak knives for claws, and the darker story lines he tends to get for solo stories in general. Hopefully, the new rating will be used well and away from the usual xmen fare so as to distinguish the two franchises as more separate feeling.

then again, this is the studio that had a deadpool with his mouth sewn up, so I expect them to fail and fail hard. Expect to see wolverine:crank edition or some other such attempt to "take advantage" of the rating's allowances across the board, and the result being a soulless mess in general.

Deadpool seems like a passion project and a complete fluke of nature itself. Wolverine though will be so tied to corporate like its previous ones, it will very likely not do well.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
shintakie10 said:
Aiddon said:
Depends on how or why it flops honestly.

Now that execs know an R movie doesn't necessarily mean less money they might give a sequel of Suicide Squad a shot at an R rating even if it doesn't do spectacularly.

I'm still hyped for it, but I still don't know how they fit the Suicide Squad into a PG-13 rating without severely hampering the characters.

Any mistakes Hollywood will learn from they are bound to repeat them again.