FOX to Recast Futurama

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
FOX to Recast Futurama

Futurama may be coming back to television, but apparently it won't be like you remember it.

There's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that FOX is bringing back Futurama, but the bad news is that they are recasting all the major roles. Fox are looking for new voice actors for Fry, Leela, Bender, The Professor, Zoidberg, Mom, Kiff and Zap Brannigan, which leaves very little of the existing cast intact.

The news was broken as John DiMaggio (Bender), Phil LaMarr (Hermes), and Maurice LaMarche (Kif) made posts on Facebook entreating Futurama fans to contact the casting director and make their displeasure clear.

Fox is laying the blame on the actors themselves however, saying: "We love the 'Futurama' voice performers and absolutely wanted to use them, but unfortunately, we could not meet their salary demands. While replacing these talented actors will be difficult, the show must go on."

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ibdf529f18374f6c965f140dbc42e7419] and Forces of Geek [http://www.forcesofgeek.com/2009/07/is-fox-planning-to-recast-futurama.html] via io9 [http://io9.com/5317142/will-futuramas-return-come-without-its-stars]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
No! They just won't be the same...

Although I'm open to the idea that they might be better voice actors, I doubt it. A lot. How can they replace Zoidberg?!!

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Oh god... but they physically can't do this! Has there ever, EVER been a TV show in history that's recast all the voice actors? No? Then don't do it.

Oh Zoidy, where will we be without your wild and wacky screams? Woob woob woob, indeed.

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
I love Futurama, it's one of my top 5 favorite shows of all time, but the voice cast is what MAKES the show amazing. Imagine if The Simpsons had a new cast in the new season? It would never be the same, that's the exact same as Futurama. Hell, imagine if Quagmire in Family Guy had a new voice actor, his lines would never feel the same ever again. Fox has set out to ruin one of the funniest shows to ever be shown on television, and if they recast the Futurama actors, then they have done just that.

Thank you, Fox, for ruining what will forever be known as the most epic failure of a reairing of a cancelled TV show, basically the G4 of animated shows.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Who in his or her right mind would fire Billy West or John Dimaggio? They're FOX, they certainly have the money to pay for them. Anybody want to find the e-mail address for the casting director for us?

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Yeah if they recast i'll watch an episode to see how it is. If it sucks, Comedy Central for the real Futurama.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
I don´t want to say this because I dont like when people say this... but...
SEARCH BAR!!!!!
this has been done twice yesterday

EDIT:eek:oops din´t see who wrote the topic, sorry.... *hides in shame*

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Well there is always Cartoon Network for the re-runs.
Exactly.

FOX is so retarded. I can understand changing the Professor, Hermes, and >.< fuck cant remember Japanese mars girl.

But Fry, Leela, Bender, and Zoidberg can't be replaced.

Mar 17, 2009
And cue Captain Picard Facepalm de-motivators...

Seriously, what a jackass move. The cast is perfect as it is, and now Fox is coming out and telling me they can't cough up some extra dough? BS.

I'm sorry, but I doubt anyone will be able to do a better Bender than John DiMaggio, or a better Professor and Fry than Billy West?

But hey, it's Fox, so what should we've expected? Amirite?

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
blipblop said:
SEARCH BAR!!!!!
I do believe that this is an official news entry, thus I do believe this is barred from Search Bar usage.

Samurai Ralan

May 8, 2009
Can you find where the casting director can be reached and update the main page per chance?

Edit: Found it.
[email protected]

Give them an earful.

That's the e-mail address, from this source: http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/07/17/fox-is-recasting-futurama/

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Zoidberg why, why god damn it!. I really don't know how to feel I'm happy that Futurama is coming back but will it be the same?

Edit - Damn it nevermind then, So whos left in the voice acting part?

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
Fox, you'll lose more money by NOT paying them, as no one is going to watch now that nearly 100% of the main cast is gone.

Windexglow

Apr 30, 2009
It'll probably bomb.

The first few seasons were great, but it slowly turned into shit as they try to add more emotions to it.

Than they made the movies - Like the series, each movie got worse as it tried to pack itself full of forced laughs.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
blipblop said:
SEARCH BAR!!!!!

I was wondering the same thing, but decided not to say as it's in The News Room. You don't mess with The News Room.

On topic, this is a real shame. Futurama was a very good series and I'll be sad to see so many main characters leave. It will have almost a completely different feel about it. Shame on you, 20th Century Fox! Shame on you!

*breaks down crying*

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Damn you FOXXXXXXXXXX
They will pay!!

This just won't have the same effect. I loved the voices of the characters, they perfectly matched their looks and personality.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
blipblop said:
SEARCH BAR!!!!!

I would've said it, but nilcypher told me off the last time I beat him to something...