Fox Will Reboot Flash Gordon

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Fox Will Reboot Flash Gordon

He will, presumably, once again save every one of us

It was only a matter of time, but pulp hero Flash Gordon is set for a return to the big screen. Twentieth Century Fox has aquired the rights to to legendary Golden Age comic-strip hero, with eyes on a big-screen revamp from a script by Star Trek 3 writers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay. No director, cast or story-concept has been set at this time.

Created by writer/artist Alex Raymond in 1934, Flash Gordon was a sci-fi adventure comic strip whose title character, a Yale-educated champion polo player, was transported to the distant Planet Mongo along with his girlfriend Dale Arden and mad scientist Dr. Zarkov during a meteor shower. On Mongo, Flash becomes the leader of a rebellion by Mongo's various races and kingdoms against their evil ruler Ming The Merciless. It bore a strong similarity to earlier pulp heroes like Buck Rogers and John Carter of Mars, but distinguished itself through Raymond's flare for space-opera melodrama and striking classical-style artwork.

The character has been adapted dozens of times to television, film serials, books, graphic-novels, games, etc; but modern audiences are likely most familiar with a popular feature-film version made in 1980 with Sam J. Jones as Flash (upgraded from polo to a NY Jets quarterback) and Max Von Sydow as Ming.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-gordon-movie-works-at-698291]

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
BrotherRool said:
It better have the Queen song, otherwise what would be the point?
it better be extremely camp and over the top too, because otherwise what'll be the point?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Better have Hawkman that attack something defended by a commander that reacts reasonably when attacked.

Nowdays the hawkmen would win because nobody thought to tell people they were under attack, or to try shooting back.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Hey, I actually might watch this. Earlier Flash Gordon things didn't catch my attention, so this might be my gateway.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
In the dim and distance days of my youth the BBC used to show the 1930s Buster Crabbe cinema serial version of Flash Gordon. Thats was pretty camp too.

El Luck said:
BrotherRool said:
It better be extremely camp and over the top too, because otherwise what'll be the point?
Yup needs to be completely over the top and Liberace levels of camp. Gary Oldman should be immediately cast as Ming, in fact there should a law passed to insure it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm going to go the camp route too, thats the only way this movie will be any damn good. And second the Gary Oldman for Ming nomination. FLASH!!! AHHHHH-AAAA!!!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
NO! NOT THE BORE WORMS!

eh..its not flash Gordon without Camp...and in this post 9/11 movie scene camp isn't exactly in...

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
If they are going to reboot something, give me a Buck Rogers remake. If they want to make it a gritty version it is fine by me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
People are already saying it...and i hate to repeat whats already been said. But this is the one and only exception;
BRIAN BLESSED godDAMN it!!

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Playing Flash straight is never going to work in a post-Brian Blessed world, I fear. And I don't see how this could possibly top the ridiculous over-the-top campy gloriousness of the original movie.
Vault101 said:
NO! NOT THE BORE WORMS!
"Shall we stop the torture?"

"... No."

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
tehroc said:
If they are going to reboot something, give me a Buck Rogers remake. If they want to make it a gritty version it is fine by me.
I agree.. But I am ok with this as well. I think some of the older sci-fi stuff could really be good these days as a re-boot. I wouldn't even call them re-boots, how about continuations. They have tons of stories!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Even SyFy figured that one out.

Anachronism said:
Playing Flash straight is never going to work in a post-Brian Blessed world, I fear. And I don't see how this could possibly top the ridiculous over-the-top campy gloriousness of the original movie.
I don't know. There are plenty of over-the-top actors who could pull thi....Oh, who am I kidding? It'll probably star Keannu Reeves as Flash and Kristen Stewart as his love interest.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, time to take the ultimate fun, cheesy movie* and turn it into a modern pile of overproduced hog shit.
I mean, it's FOX.

(*I know it was a comic first, but dammit if the film isn't the campiest thing ever made)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Anachronism said:
Hear me out .... Nick Cage

:p In some ways Flash was quite a quiet performance for Brian Blessed