Fox Won't Share Simpsons Profits With Actors

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
ike42 said:
No joke. Any network so stupid to cut a gem like Firefly after one season must be made up of stupid, heartless bastards.
Half a season that they aired out of order actually, which makes it a bit more dickish.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
kman123 said:
I don't want Fox to get millions if I'm not getting entertained.
Are you kidding me? Some people find it entertaining, some don't, but the moment you aren't getting entertained they should shut it down?

Epic fail.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I would just say "let it die already" but honestly? I'll actually feel sad if it ends. Fuck, that show practically raised me. Yes it's past its peak but still... it's The Simpsons, you know?

Plus I still kind of like it. The new episodes do still get a laugh out of me. Not as much as it used to, but I still find them genuinely entertaining.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
The only reason I watch fox is for a few shows and still hate that I am contributing to this corporations vile ethics.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
I find it hard to believe Fox would cancel the Simpsons of all their animation domination shows (cleavland show, American Dad, Family Guy) it is still the most popular and is still highly profitable Canceling it just doesnt seem in the cards unless their is some kind of secret plan with near insane logic............

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
Vivi22 said:
ike42 said:
No joke. Any network so stupid to cut a gem like Firefly after one season must be made up of stupid, heartless bastards.
Half a season that they aired out of order actually, which makes it a bit more dickish.
I never even saw the show till way after it was cancelled, so I wasn't sure on the complete situation. I was told about it by someone I worked with. I did know they were aired out of order though. I also heard they had it on at a weird time too or something that guaranteed failure.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
vansau said:
Fox Won't Share Simpsons Profits With Actors

The cast of The Simpsons is willing to take a pay cut for part of the profits from the show, but Fox doesn't want to share.

Earlier this week, it was revealed that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.316320-Fox-Threatens-Simpsons-Cast-Take-Pay-Cut-or-Die>Fox is in the midst of tense contract negotiations with the cast of The Simpsons. So tense, in fact, that the animated series may not be long for this world, unless the cast members agreed to a 45% paycut. The cast members have all stated that they'd be willing to take a smaller - though still significant - paycut in exchange for a share of the show's (massive) profits. It turns out that Fox isn't willing to play this kind of ball.

According to Harry Shearer (known to fans as Mr. Burns, Principal Skinner, Ned Flanders, and several other characters), Fox's logic for the proposed pay cuts hasn't been explained satisfactorily, and the company simply will not allow the actors to share in the profits:

Fox wants to cut our salaries in half because it says it can't afford to continue making the show under what it calls the existing business model. Fox hasn't explained what kind of new business model it has formulated to keep the show on the air, but clearly the less money they have to pay us in salary, the more they're able to afford to continue broadcasting the show. And to this I say, fine - if pay cuts are what it will take to keep the show on the air, then cut my pay. In fact, to make it as easy as possible for Fox to keep new episodes of The Simpsons coming, I'm willing to let them cut my salary not just 45% but more than 70% - down to half of what they said they would be willing to pay us. All I would ask in return is that I be allowed a small share of the eventual profits.

My representatives broached this idea to Fox yesterday, asking the network how low a salary number I would have to accept to make a profit participation feasible. My representatives were told there was no such number. There were, the Fox people said, simply no circumstances under which the network would consider allowing me or any of the actors to share in the show's success.

Shearer's comments are pretty damning, and it's hard not to find one siding with the cast in this argument. As of right now, Fox certainly looks like it's led by a bunch of greedy, heartless bastards. If the network is really this ruthless towards those who make it tons of money, can you imagine how awful it's been to folks like Joss Whedon?

Source: Deadline

Gee I don't know who to side with... Kidding! Clearly since Fox is evil, they'll almost always be wrong.

This sounds extremely shady to me, the cast could just go on strile, then everyone loses, because lets face it, no ones really been interested in the Simpsons, for almost 10 years.

The profits sound quite high, and if they are that high, then they should be able to cover the existing pay, or, high enough to soften the blow of the pay cut.

Why not do a calculation, say 'ok, we'll make 50 million this year (for example) the cost of the show is 15 million, the actors normally get 10, now they'll get 5.5, which leaves 4.5 more + the 25 million is 29.5'

So 29.5, 1% of which is still 295,000 dollars, which is tiny, but let them all have that much. Or, if 1% were say more than the pay cuts - You don't need to give the bloody pay cuts, this a fracken gold mine!

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
unabomberman said:
They are asking them to take a 45% pay cut off the money they make per episode from a contract that was signed at the time when the ratings were way up there in like 20 million range a week instead of the 7 million range a week of today. Hank Azaria, for example, makes 8 million per episode, and I believe there is a case to be made that that salary is not justified anymore given how the ratings just aren't there to do so. Just because it is FOX doesn't mean that this is an outrage.

I can see how they cannot work out an agreement given how FOX doesn't want them to take a 30% pay cut and share some of the back-end the show makes. Still, I'd take the pay cut and cry myself to the bank with my remaining 4 mil-something. Woe me, but I'm sure I could live with that.

Besides, if all else fails, they can always just de-cancel the show a few years from now when they have a clearer picture and a new deal has been inked. We all know it's happened before.
The cast makes approximately 8 million a SEASON not an episode. They make 400k an episode or there bouts.

However, the thing that makes me believe that FOX needs The Simpsons more than the cast needs FOX is that it is that FOX is very vocal on their policy to stop all merchandising for any show once it is pulled from first run broadcast. And lets not kid ourselves The Simpsons still makes a shit ton on merchandising. Bottom line expect a deal to get worked out.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
You missed the comments where Harry Shearer admit they already make ridiculous amounts of money as voice actors and you should feel sorry for him.

UPDATE:
They did reach an agreement with FOX though.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/08/us-simpsons-idUSTRE79505F20111008

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
TitanAtlas said:
the guy who did Family guy made 2 more shows... and he maitains them all, having variety to the lot..
Ah yes, there is SOO much variety to be found in Seth McFarlene shows:

OT: I admit Simpsons probably should have been cancelled sometime back, so i probably won't mourn it too much. That said though...Fox are being pretty much Assholes as usual.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Xanthious said:
unabomberman said:
They are asking them to take a 45% pay cut off the money they make per episode from a contract that was signed at the time when the ratings were way up there in like 20 million range a week instead of the 7 million range a week of today. Hank Azaria, for example, makes 8 million per episode, and I believe there is a case to be made that that salary is not justified anymore given how the ratings just aren't there to do so. Just because it is FOX doesn't mean that this is an outrage.

I can see how they cannot work out an agreement given how FOX doesn't want them to take a 30% pay cut and share some of the back-end the show makes. Still, I'd take the pay cut and cry myself to the bank with my remaining 4 mil-something. Woe me, but I'm sure I could live with that.

Besides, if all else fails, they can always just de-cancel the show a few years from now when they have a clearer picture and a new deal has been inked. We all know it's happened before.
The cast makes approximately 8 million a SEASON not an episode. They make 400k an episode or there bouts.

However, the thing that makes me believe that FOX needs The Simpsons more than the cast needs FOX is that it is that FOX is very vocal on their policy to stop all merchandising for any show once it is pulled from first run broadcast. And lets not kid ourselves The Simpsons still makes a shit ton on merchandising. Bottom line expect a deal to get worked out.
You're right. It's 8 mill a season, not per show. Hell, 8 mill per show makes no sense. That would mean 22*8 = 176 million dollars, at least for Hank Azaria per season!

Ooops...My bad.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
unabomberman said:

Finally, someone who thinks before they speak. I was thinking pretty much along these lines. And also they never actually mentioned how big of a cut of the profits he was asking for. If he was asking for a percentage amount rather then a fixed amount it could of added up to more than he was being payed anyway, so why wouldn't he accept a pay cut when he can more than make up for it. But yeh obviously if your shows/movies/songs whatever it is in the entertainment business are not doing as well as they once were you can't expect to keep the same massively inflated pay.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
It would be pretty easy to just call Fox greedy bastards, but the voice actors are also greedy bastards. Oh no, they might have to make 4 million instead of 8 million, oh you poor poor bastards. Try having no money at all and then see if you still think 4 million isn't enough.

I say just take all of them and drop them in a volcano. Fox, the voice actors, all of them, launch their greedy asses into the nearest lava pit.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
kman123 said:
FarleShadow said:
kman123 said:
I don't want Fox to get millions if I'm not getting entertained.
Are you kidding me? Some people find it entertaining, some don't, but the moment you aren't getting entertained they should shut it down?

Epic fail.
Well to be honest my opinion was more aimed at 'I hate Fox' then 'I stopped watching Simpsons', judging by the way they treat the VA is pretty horrendous, it'd be better off for them to move networks or just end it.
the VA? No idea what that is.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Well the show was just renewed for two more seasons meaning their will be at least 25 seasons so i guess we wont see any drastic measures yet
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/08/television-simpsons-idUSN1E79617M20111008

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
It sounds like Fox just wants the Simpsons dead, but doing it in a way where the blaim isn't 100% on them.

They are failing badly at it, though.