FPS Developers Support Call of Duty Subscriptions

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
MDSnowman said:
But looking at MW2 it becomes clear that Activision isn't looking to put effort into a game they've already got you to buy. They're interested in making map packs that force hardcore players to shell out $15 for 5 maps, 2 of which players have already seen.
This is the problem. Activision would first make you pay for the game itself, which still remains the most expensive game I've seen offered on Steam to this day.
Next, they'd make you pay a subscription to play the game you bought for a big fat price already.
And they'd also make you pay bloated amounts of cash to buy map packs they chuck out every once in a while. (Which are retextures of old maps...)
After they get tired of that, they'll stop adding content to the game and keep the subscription.

Just for comparison, the Resurgence map pack costs $15 and adds 5 maps, 2 of those are from CoD4. So that's, what, 3 maps worth of effort. Team Fortress 2, on the other hand is one of the most polished multiplayer games when it comes to balancing, it costs $20, gets constant content updates, comes packed with 35 maps and a shitload of items, hats, god knows what.

Jesus, it's grown so much that now that I look back at it I'm shocked...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Being one who could care less about CoD, I say go ahead. Gankers will still pay to be gankers and both win.
But you know, especially with this article, others will want to emulate because they see a big cash cow like Activision pulling off this stuff. Sooner or later though, Activision will run out of loyal drones, and everything they ever developed will be turned into mud. It will kill the videogame system all over again like what happened with Atari.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Comieman said:
Call of World of Duty, Black Cataclysm?

I see what you did thar Activision Blizzard
What's really funny is Activision's been merged with Blizzard for how long? And only just recently Kotick came up with a subscription idea? What a maroon.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Well, this is solely going to apply to PC gaming, so I dont have to be a part of it.

Fuck that. Halo: Reach looks alright. I guess I'll just switch developers.

On second thought, Bungie has more rip off map packs than CoD ever will have, so I won't do that either.

I need to rethink my genre.