FPS Helmet Simulates The Feeling of Headshots

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
FPS Helmet Simulates The Feeling of Headshots

Ever wanted to feel what it's like to take a bullet through the skull in Call of Duty? This is the peripheral for you.

The HTX Helmet [http://tngames.com/pages/Products/HTX-Helmet-Coming-Soont], which looks like a baseball helmet without a lid, "delivers blows to the head when you are fired upon", according to manufacturer TN Games. The effect even works in three dimensions - get shot in the back, side or front of your head and you'll feel it in the appropriate place. "Feel bullets whizzing by your helmet or the impact of getting shot in the head," TN Games advertised. A really good surround sound system might do the trick as well, but the feeling of immersion surely isn't as profound as when you're getting ticked in the head by a high-tech piece of plastic.

The HTX Helmet works in conjuction with TN Games' 3rd Space Gaming Vest [http://tngames.com/products], which does essentially the same thing for your body by using "eight active zones that simulate the direction and forces of bullet fire, crushing explosions, and fear-inducing finger taps as they occur in the game".

Having the helmet and the vest on at the same time might seem overwhelming, but TN Games founder Mark Ombrellaro feels the purpose of his products goes beyond extreme force feedback. "It re-sensitizes you by making the reaction you get not just an artificial thing that means nothing to you. It puts a consequence back into the action," he told us [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_148/4872-A-Shot-in-the-Gut.4] in May.

The Gaming Vest is compatible with a number of titles including Doom 3 and Call of Duty 2, but there's no word on what games the helmet will be compatible with or how much it will cost. The HTX Helmet is due for release in 2009.

Iceman23

Dec 20, 2007
Sounds like an interesting idea, but I get the feeling that anyone who honestly wears this thing is probably going to look like an idiot while doing so.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks this might get painful after a while?

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
Im not sure about the idea, i mean imagine playing like a heavy in TF2 and recieve a full charged headshot from a sniper. Ouch

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
To what degree could this damage you? And couldn't it easily be simulated by a person flicking your head every minute or so?

Raikone

Apr 17, 2008
This seems like an over the internet torture device. Why take the trouble of going to someone when you can just trick them into playing a game of cod online with you and then open fire into them with a turret.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
That could get very annoying (not to mention uncomfortable) very fast.

I'm all for "getting into it", but this is kind of ridiculous. Might as well just join the army. It's much more realistic.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Yes what I want to know is at what point these devices become illegal. I mean there have gotta be regulations set by society as to how much simulated pain a thing can cause.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
I can't really say I'm into the idea of getting punted in the head every time I get shot. And I doubt it feels at all similar to taking a bullet through the skull (not that I really have any interest in feeling that either). Positive reinforcement works better on me. How about a device that bakes cookies and gives them to me whenever I get a headshot. I'd be pro-level in no time with that.

Grand_Poohbah

Nov 29, 2008
I actually enjoy that idea. I have one of those game chairs and the vibration is amazing(In a non-sexual way). Adds a lot of immersion. I would like to test one of these out at least.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Yes what I want to know is at what point these devices become illegal. I mean there have gotta be regulations set by society as to how much simulated pain a thing can cause.
Not sure but I'd have to wager as long as it doesn't cuase bleeding or leave open woundss it will be hard to make a case that it should be made illegal.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
xitel said:
Not at all. When I play Pyro in Team Fortress 2 I attract bullets to me like I'm magnetized. At the rate I get shot up I wouldn't be able to wear it for more than five minutes...

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
xitel said:
After a while?

Personally, I don't need a device that will punch me in the head, I can do it myself and save several hundred dollars.
Except then you wouldn't be wearing a stupid looking helmet!