FPS quality last generation vs this generation

Feb 7, 2016
The only thing that's identical is your fucking threads man.

You've literally "discussed" the EXACT same topics over and over again.

Not only that, but there's nearly zero discussion. You just want to hear yourself echo. I don't think there's a single person on this site that doesn't know your opinions already. I don't care what you think of first person shooters anymore. I'm still not certain if it's just a language barrier or an issue with your mentality, but you frequently disregard criticism in favor of just cherry picking one piece of what someone has said, and then responding to it with a video or one of your preprogrammed responses. I don't feel like I'm talking to a person when I talk to you.

Like, is this not against some kind of guideline? Can I just make the same thread over and over again and just word it slightly different? And not even have the decency to wait a couple months first?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really like many FPS's from any generation. Or shooters in general for that matter. I'd like them more with other elements mixed in. Metroid Prime was OK. I prefer games like Thief, Dishonoured, Portal or Mirror's Edge in first person perspectives.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
B-Cell said:
Hello,

so my dear friends. i have been thinking about it. i mean look at the quality of last gen FPS games.

3 different games, by 3 different developers feel exact same almost 10 years ago. aim down the sight, regen health, linear campaign, same multiplayer. etc

and now look at this gen FPS

3 Different FPS by 3 Different developers feel exact opposite of each other. the former above are even by a one publisher.

it makes me realize that the quality difference between last gen FPS and this gen FPS is just drastically improving.

obviously early 00s and late 90s FPS are still best. but holy crap. i cant believe we just jump into quality gaming once again after almost butchered 10 years ago.

what do you think my friends? do you think this gen FPS quality is drastically improved? discuss
Yeah look, I agree with you here, but using a few screenshots to argue about vast differences in gameplay and design philosophy between games is just about the laziest argument I've ever seen.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
So, you literally pick out 3 games that look similar and portray them as a representation of last gen. There's more to FPS games than military shooters, however.

In any case, if that's your argument, then it's invalid (to me) because you're talking about the generation in which Crysis, F.E.A.R, and Metro became prevalent, and Wolfenstein got a revitalization. Which, in my opinion are some of the best games/series that I've ever played.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
I think metro is one of worst game my friend. It have Regen health, aiim down site, and linear design like COD casual console stuff.

Doom 3 also better than Dom 2016 because Doom 2016 have QTE to hit enemy and get health which make it more casual style. Doom 3 is more hards core because it don't have QTE life enemy hit design.

Feb 7, 2016
ZombieProof said:
I think metro is one of worst game my friend. It have Regen health, aiim down site, and linear design like COD casual console stuff.

Doom 3 also better than Dom 2016 because Doom 2016 have QTE to hit enemy and get health which make it more casual style. Doom 3 is more hards core because it don't have QTE life enemy hit design.
Metro Exodus not be linear my friend. Metro Exodus will be best open world game and not linear like old Metro games. Metro Exodus will save Fps games from linear design and not like Far cry open world.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
DeliveryGodNoah said:
ZombieProof said:

Metro Exodus not be linear my friend. Metro Exodus will be best open world game and not linear like old Metro games. Metro Exodus will save Fps games from linear design and not like Far cry open world.
Opoen world geam is same since GTA 3. Just go from A to B. Metro Exodus will be best opshun because devs make stalker. Stalker is one of best game I have ever play. No regen health or QTE.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So what I get from the OP is:

Quality = more differences between games

Did I get it right?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
ZombieProof said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
ZombieProof said:

Opoen world geam is same since GTA 3. Just go from A to B. Metro Exodus will be best opshun because devs make stalker. Stalker is one of best game I have ever play. No regen health or QTE.
What you mean? Discuss.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
B-Cell said:
what do you think my friends? do you think this gen FPS quality is drastically improved? discuss
The 7th gen brought us Metro 2033 and Last Light, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Bad Company and 2, Battlefield 3 and 4 (only the multiplayer mind), Bioshock, Halo: Reach, Borderlands 2, Metroid Prime 3, Portal and Portal 2, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon, STALKER: Call of Pripyat and last but not least a little thing called Crysis.

What I'm trying to say is that the 7th gen had an abundance of outstanding First Person Shooters. Of course CoD4's success would ultimately doom the franchise to annual cookie cutter repeats and all the major publishers would release their own Ican't believe it's not Call of Duty franchise with equally disastrous results. That was inevitable but it doesn't change the fact that between 2007 and 2014 a whole bunch of the best FPS games ever made were released.

Bland homogeny always follows success, it was platformers for the PS1 generation, sports games for the PS2 generation before exclusive licenses started getting signed everywhere and this gen looks like it's going to be the Battle Royale generation, such is life.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
fix-the-spade said:
Bland homogeny always follows success, it was platformers for the PS1 generation, sports games for the PS2 generation before exclusive licenses started getting signed everywhere and this gen looks like it's going to be the Battle Royale generation, such is life.
I'd say fighters were the PS1 generation. They were just all over the place for whatever reason (maybe because rendering two dudes and a single chamber was easier to do in the new 3d stuff then actual levels).

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
fix-the-spade said:
B-Cell said:
The 7th gen brought us Metro 2033 and Last Light, Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Bad Company and 2, Battlefield 3 and 4 (only the multiplayer mind), Bioshock, Halo: Reach, Borderlands 2, Metroid Prime 3, Portal and Portal 2, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon, STALKER: Call of Pripyat and last but not least a little thing called Crysis.

Metro 2033 and Last light were some of my fav games of last gen. they were great but they were just bit too linear and Metro Exodus will be better game since its both linear and sandbox into one. Battlefield is definition of generic and still exist, bioshock was poor mans system shock 2 and infinite is one of the worst game i have ever played. this gen we are getting System shock in future once again and Prey is better than bioshock ever been, Portal is puzzle game not FPS, Far cry 3 is ok but FC2 was better, STALKER while i agree best FPS ever.

so we see most good FPS of last gen before the success of COD4.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
B-Cell said:
Metro 2033 and Last light were some of my fav games of last gen. they were great but they were just bit too linear and Metro Exodus will be better game since its both linear and sandbox into one. Battlefield is definition of generic and still exist, bioshock was poor mans system shock 2 and infinite is one of the worst game i have ever played. this gen we are getting System shock in future once again and Prey is better than bioshock ever been, Portal is puzzle game not FPS, Far cry 3 is ok but FC2 was better, STALKER while i agree best FPS ever.

so we see most good FPS of last gen before the success of COD4.
Except most of the FPS you mentioned to like that are part of the same generation were released AFTER COD4.

STALKER Shadows of Chernobyl - March 2007
Call of Duty 4 - November 2007
STALKER Clear Sky - August 2008
Far Cry 2 - October 2008
STALKER Call of Pripyat - October 2009
Metro 2033 - March 2010
Far Cry 3 - November 2012
Metro Last Light - May 2013

Prey and System Shock 2 aren't part of that generation, so they don't count. Also left out the Portals, because I agree they are not really FPS per se.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Chimpzy said:
Also left out the Portals, because I agree they are not really FPS per se.
The have a first-person viewpoint, and literally your only interaction with the world is shooting at it (with a gun even). Ticks all the boxes.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
B-Cell said:
Battlefield is definition of generic and still exist,
Okie dokie, name me the other 64 player team based FPS with multi crew vehicles, destructible environments and full projectile physics.

Maybe you can lump in ARMA 3 with it, but that's a reach.

I think you're holding things to impossible standards there, a game not being your 'perfect' game doesn't invalidate it's own merits. Particularly in the case of Battlefield, nobody but DICE has ever had any success making a Battlefield type game (remember Section 8? What about Massive Action Game?), it has some superficial and thematic similarities to Call of Duty, but it's gameplay is unique and the reason why DICE keeps having success making them.

The same for Metro, they are linear stories that focus on pacing and atmosphere, which they do brilliantly. Open the world out and you risk losing that, which is my worry for Exodus. My worst case scenario is that it turns out to be the Metro Themed Ubisoft Game with a huge map of 'stuff' and very little actual content. Of course it could end up like the STALKER games, which I love dearly, but they are very messy games too, filled with bugs and pacing that can best be described and variable (yes Mr Trader I brought you FIFTY AK's to sell one at a time). I've heard them descibed as Elder Scrolls with guns and often that's quite close to the truth.

Bioshock I think is better paced than System Shock 2, people seem to only remember the sections of SS2 on the Von Braun, once you enter the body of the many the game starts to drag, by the Rickenbacker it's really dragging and repetitive. Bioshock is much better streamlined in that sense, it gets on with the plot and it's big twist is actually better than SS2's 'Polito moment', but it could have used an extra difficulty level or two.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Particularly in the case of Battlefield, nobody but DICE has ever had any success making a Battlefield type game... it's gameplay is unique and the reason why DICE keeps having success making them.
Not really true; others have made battlefield-like games and succeeded- sometimes even made them better than Battlefield. Games like Joint Operations, Tribes 2, Unreal Tournament 2004, Planetside 2, hell even Ravenfield is quite successful, and that's an indie game made by one guy! Then of course you've got Star Wars Battlefront I and II, where Pandemic showed exactly how to make a wildly successful battlefield-like that improved it in almost every way. There's a reason both 1 and 2 became the best selling Star Wars games of all time (at the time).

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
fix-the-spade said:
'Polito moment'
The hell is that?
I'm guessing he means

The captain (Scientist?) who was giving you directions the whole time turns out to be dead. You find their corpse (which looks like every other single corpse in the game, so you could be forgiven for not making the connection and shortly after Shodan reveals itself as having been giving you the directions

Bioshock notably would go on to have a fairly similar twist, though Bioshock wasn't littered with quite so many disposable characters to make them as forgettable as SS2's, and had better technology to actually make them distinct.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Seth Carter said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
fix-the-spade said:
'Polito moment'
The hell is that?
I'm guessing he means

The captain (Scientist?) who was giving you directions the whole time turns out to be dead. You find their corpse (which looks like every other single corpse in the game, so you could be forgiven for not making the connection and shortly after Shodan reveals itself as having been giving you the directions

Bioshock notably would go on to have a fairly similar twist, though Bioshock wasn't littered with quite so many disposable characters to make them as forgettable as SS2's, and had better technology to actually make them distinct.
Ah, completely forgot about that.
I liked System Shock 2 a lot but the game didn't do a very good job at constructing story beats... I just remember it as an endless plod through samey, nondescript corridors while you try doors and go on generic horror movie errands (fix this, try that) with the occasional passive aggresive phonecall from SHODAN.