Franchises you know that are pretty much dead, but don't want them to die.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Mech warrior. They need to make another one.
Agreed. Also, whatever happened to space-fighter sims? I mean, my local wal-mart doesn't even sell joysticks for them anymore!

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I thinks every franchise always has the ability to step out of a rut and amaze the masses. That said, Sonic is just about due for one of those. That in my mind is probably the most ripped on franchise, and for good reason, when u peak in the genesis era, its a bit sad.

As for mario, I think the only people that might say they should retire him, are the people that don't play his games. They get better and better imo, and should keep coming out for years upon years, after all, every company needs a mascot.

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
vulgarshudder said:
Silent Hill :(
This. One of my favorite series, but it has most definitely run out of steam.

Also Resident Evil. 5 looks fun, but they have also run out of ideas. 6 will be the last one in the series, due to decreased sales and expectations.

Halo has run its course and so has Call of Duty and Medal of Honor and Battlefield.

Tomb Raider has actually been dead for awhile now, which is sad.

Monkey Island! Dead, but it needs another sequel.

Mario Party, but this one doesn't bother me in the least.

Donbett1974

Jan 28, 2009
Crystal Cuckoo said:
I want to give Sonic one last shot at his main series.
Sonic Team were really close with Unleashed, so the next game may turn it around.
No you stop. Your enabler to Sonic games your the reason people suffer. There are a lot people want to believe it will get better it won't.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
I have the same feeling with the Chrono Series, I keep hoping that Square will suddenly announce that "Yuji Hori, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Masato Kato and Yasonori Mitsuda are working on a new Chrono Game with Akira Toriyama character designs" but I doubt that'll ever happen.
Seconded. Although I've never played Chrono Cross and only have played to the place where you teleport to go after Marle in Chrono Trigger, the game still gave me great first impressions.
Although I just went around on a fair, somehow it is still one of the most memorable game experiences I've had in the recent months.

Anyway, it (the DS version) should be here in 2 or 3 days, so I'll definitely play it.
In the meantime, I'll just say that another Chrono game would be sweet, because unlike Chrono Trigger, I, a European, could actually buy it, and Chrono Cross, which came out when I was very young, and didn't go to the internet to see how great people think it is.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I'd love to punch Guybrush Threepwood in the face and remind him he's got a five-games deal with LucasArts, but that's probably not going to happen. :<

vulgarshudder said:
Silent Hill :(
Here's my theory: Remember when Homecoming was announced as "Silent Hill 5"? Now, Konami knew that it was possible for the fans to hate an american-made Silent Hill. Then, they changed the name into "Homecoming", so that they can make a "real" Silent Hill 5 and just pretend Homecoming never existed. Much like what Capcom did with Devil May Cry 2.
Anyways: I'm still holding out hope that Silent Hill isn't dead yet. :S

roei115

Feb 6, 2009
I'd have to say Sonic and Chrono series i would just hate to see them fade away also
i would like to see a new Makai kingdom yes i know that theirs Disgaea 3 but its no makai kingdom and a new battle network i don't think i was the only one that loved these games

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
Black and white. If they took B&W1 Improved the mechanics, then added ideas from B&W 2 it would be awsome. But Peter did say that Lionhead will be making a new one around 2010 after an "undisclosed game".

Also would like to see a new Empire Earth that is actually good.

Wolfwind

May 28, 2008
Zone of Enders! They seemed to conclude the story in the second game, but I want more!

*playing on guitar outside Jehuty's house at night* Come back to meeeeee, Jehutyyyyyyy!

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Real Gonzo said:
Sonic definitely comes to mind.
King of Fighters and Tekken probably.
King of Fighters definitely, but why Tekken?
There was, and is, massive hype surrounding Tekken 6, so I don't think the franchise is dead.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
None spring to mind, really.
I either:
A) Don't think they're dying or declining (I thoroughly enjoyed the last Zelda and Mario games)
B) Don't really like the games anyway (Sonic)

Only exception I can think of is the Mother series, which is both fantastic and most likely dead.

RAKais

Jan 14, 2009
I'm not sure what stage it's at, if it's dead, unconscious, or what but where the hell is Max Payne 3???

Also, the Halo series are not dead. Look at the background they have created for Halo? There is so much to explore, so much to do! Granted, they should make the game good and take some time on it and NOT churn out bucket loads of spin offs for the fans. Halo has yet to explore much of the past, before the first Halo. The Fall of Reach etc etc etc.

I think perhaps Call of Duty (The side that made WaW) should perhaps move into the MMOFPS direction. Think Joint Operations (How i miss that game) where you had 75 people per team. Trench warfare, taking bunkers... I'm imagining it all now. Take away regenerating health and stick the medic class in to heal and revive people. It could work.

Theres my pennies worth

Spierek

Aug 17, 2008
I would go for Sonic The Hedgehog, and Rayman.

While Sonic games are utterly bad, and feel none like the 2D ones, the developers just can't die and leave the poor animal alone.

Also, Rayman is not like he used to be. It was a great adventure game, and jumping into 3D felt suprisingly right, but the problem started, when the Rabbids came. Instead of another runny-jumpy-puzzle solvey-adventure, we got a bunch of "made-of-fail" minigames, especially on PC.

I don't want both of them to die, but unless the developers want my hatred, they need to do something about it.