Franchises You Want Revived

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
JohnnyDelRay said:
For my own, I'd like to put down:
-Mech Warrior
I think this has a stupid amount of potential, especially with the complexity and availability of controls these days. Imagine, you put this together with flight sticks, pedals, and VR. Nothing where you'd have to take your hands off though. It would be incredible, if the motion of a mech didn't make you sick. Or heck, just a triple monitor setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
nomotog said:
JohnnyDelRay said:
For my own, I'd like to put down:
-Mech Warrior
I think this has a stupid amount of potential, especially with the complexity and availability of controls these days. Imagine, you put this together with flight sticks, pedals, and VR. Nothing where you'd have to take your hands off though. It would be incredible, if the motion of a mech didn't make you sick. Or heck, just a triple monitor setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz8Y1V8gy1A
Oh my lord, about freakin' time. Only been waiting nearly 2 decades. It's got the right sense of motion and everything, I hope this doesn't turn out shitty. Would be nice if they kept it all cheesy as well, but this is a hell of a start. Let's just hope Piranha doesn't F it up, or destroy it with microtransactions.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Myria said:
Parasite Eve: A third PE game, plox (The 3rd Birthday never happened. Never. Ever. Did not happen, understand?).
Agreed. Let there be a game with the True Aya Brea. Though honestly, I thought the game ended fine with first one's ending in the Chrysler building.

Vectorman
Earthworm Jim
Streets of Rage
Devil May Cry - A real sequel, not another reboot or sequel to the reboot.
Time Splitters
Fear Effect
Dino Crisis

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Saelune said:
Maybe Fromsoft can work on that instead of Dark Souls now? Just balance it better.
I think they're doing a new Armored Core.

Also yes on DQM.
Armored Core is not Chromehounds.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
JUMBO PALACE said:
Saelune said:
Chromehounds. It had a unique multiplayer set up, and was a really fun more "realistic" build-a-mech shooter. Maybe Fromsoft can work on that instead of Dark Souls now? Just balance it better.
I see you were also one of the 12 people who bought that game. FROM could definitely do something cool with the franchise if they brought it back. The faction based multiplayer was pretty cool.
Alot of people did actually play it, as I drifted from squad to squad. That game pushed me to be more social than I care to be, but I enjoyed it that much. I also applied for lower rank ones than apparently I was worth, cause one group was apparently super honored to have one of my rank join at the time.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Blood. BLOOD!!!!
We need a new reboot of Blood for god shake!!!
Also a Quake base the first Theme [Ancient Old Ones trying to invade our World] is welcome.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Saelune said:
RaikuFA said:
Saelune said:
Maybe Fromsoft can work on that instead of Dark Souls now? Just balance it better.
I think they're doing a new Armored Core.

Also yes on DQM.
Armored Core is not Chromehounds.
But it's not DS either, so they're not just focused on those games. Maybe Chrome hounds next?

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
When I thought through the list in my head, I was happy to note that Kickstarter and the 80s kids have funded a lot of series that should have been on the list or spiritual successors thereof. Some of them have been great, others not so great. Some that come to mind though:

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
One of my favourite horror games. I would settle for a HD remake on PC which would happen around the time the US pays off the entire national debt.

Sakura Taisen/Galaxy Angels
The girls in mechs with strategic combat and some relationship sim genre seems to be dead....

Wizardry
As is the dedicated dungeon crawler (at least in the West, Japan still makes them)

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Troika's big hurrah. Like so many of the studio's incarnations, solid writing, decent mechanics, fun game, has more bugs than all of South America.

Chrono Cross
Come one, it is one of the best JRPGs ever made and the story is still unfinished! Chances that it will ever be finished is the same as Konami becoming Japan's CD Project Red in terms of customer service.

I also second No One Lives Forever, Jade Empire and Streets of Rage. Heck I would even settle at this point for Obsidian to take another swing at Alpha Protocol

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Geneforge

AND SPIDER SOFTWARE NEEDS TO GET IN TOUCH WITH OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT BECAUSE HOLY HELL THAT'D BE A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
black and white
i remember when i was 6 years old and i played it. the game just blew my mind. how the creature reacted and could be trained, how you had so much power and control over everything. about 2 years ago i went back to it and while the graphics have aged horribly the other aspects of the game still hold up. the casting system was amazing. granted at the time the tech wasnt really up to the task so the villagers and the creature were kinda retarded. i would love to see it being made again with modern tech. (the sequel was disappointing for me. it didnt have the charm or the ingenuity of the first game.)
C&C
kinda obvious and no explanation needed
wild arms
im replaying wild arms 5 right now and it astounds me of how good the game is. the battle system is way better than JRPGs. and while the plot is somewhat meh, thats even good

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
Ow there's soo many :

Unreal (the single-player version) - This game had such an incredible atmosphere. I would love to see another sequel to it.
Black&white ofc.
C&C:Generals - I had soo much fun in this game
Age of Empire - with the HD version selling ~3mil copies on steam (damn good number for 17years old game), MS should really invest in AoE IV
Settlers - They completly screwed up this franchise after Settlers IV. I wish they get back to form again
Arcanum - it was just a single game, but I wish this game recived more love and sequels.
Delta Force/Joint Operation - this was one of the most amazing modern military shooter back then. 200player MP matches with ground, sea and air vehicles. Wish we had more of those
Heores of M&M - they kept screwing it up after H3. Ubisoft should sell the rights to this franchies to someone else (same with Settlers)

It would also be nice to see a proper NFS game without all the "wanna be cool kid" elements attached to it.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
Recusant said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Timesplitters, the third one was ridiculously good, I don't know why they stopped making them.
Because the third game definitively ended the series by retroactively keeping the events of the games from ever happening. How could you make a sequel to that?
By actually DEVELOPING THE SEQUEL, which FRD was actually doing before they went into administration and subsequently bought by Crytek.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Recusant said:
Because the third game definitively ended the series by retroactively keeping the events of the games from ever happening. How could you make a sequel to that?
Doesn't have to be a direct sequel, they could make another trilogy about something else or more of the same.

Feb 7, 2016
Gimme another Dark Cloud game!

I have very fond memories of placing towns and buildings, as well as enjoying the gameplay in general (mostly with Dark Cloud 2). They were pretty fun action RPGs from what I remember, though I mostly remember the second game since I've played it about 5 years ago rather than 13 years ago.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Sinister Minister said:
Recusant said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Timesplitters, the third one was ridiculously good, I don't know why they stopped making them.
By actually DEVELOPING THE SEQUEL, which FRD was actually doing before they went into administration and subsequently bought by Crytek.
Oh, I'm aware- and I'd've asked them the same question, had I the chance.

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
I would love another The Darkness game. I don't know another game that does quad-wielding, the voice acting was fun, the Vendettas were simply dripping with personality... and the gore!!! I know the comics are out there, but I always have a good time playing through 1 or 2.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
Nintendo: Why would you want F-Zero, when there's Mario Kart?

OT; I would suggest Command & Conquer, but since EA own it. Nope. Let the dead stay dead.

I really miss the MMO; City of Heroes.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Ah, sweet salty tears. Good...good...

Anyway:

Saelune said:
Metal Gear Solid. Ya know, but with Kojima and good. Obviously not gonna happen, but if Konami wasnt a total piece of shit, they -could- give it to someone with respect to Kojima and actual passion. Id start with a remake of Metal Gear 1 and 2 that turns the two plots into one game more like the Solid games while also updating the plot to fit in. Would be a good way for them to prove MGS is in good hands or not.
I thought of listing Metal Gear initially, but stopped short, considering that the last installment I played was Snake Eater, and that from what I've seen, it feels redundant to continue the story after Guns of the Patriots (which I know Revengence does, but that makes me dislike it even more). But as rare as this is for me, I could certainly get behind remakes for the original games.

Wrex Brogan said:
Also, fuck it, Dead Space - EA's pretty much killed the franchise anyway (SO SMART setting it's sale goals to be more than the combined total of the previous titles after revamping the gameplay focus that people liked from the first two games), and it being incompatible with the latest console generation gives it room for a revival. Shit, just give the first one a HD polish and re-release it, that'll do. God damn.
Also considered Dead Space, but embarrassingly, as far as the actual games go, only played the first. I'm aware that the series ends on a cliffhanger, but didn't seem right to include it from a personal perspective.

stroopwafel said:
I don't know how Rockstar divides it's resources
From what I understand they basically focus on one project at a time.

WhiteFangofWar said:
For the latter, I kept expecting to see a new game come out in the 'Days of Ruin' timeline linking it to the original trilogy by having Tabitha and Waylon found Black Hole and Will & Co. found the other nations.
That's not a bad idea, but I don't see it happening. I don't think the map shown in Days of Ruin corresponds to any of the landforms we see in the original games. I can get the idea of Tabitha founding Black Hole, if only because Stolos relied on automatons, and there is the possibility that a lot of Black Hole's technology is automated (if only because unlike the other nations, you never see infantry/pilots in control of the vehicles, only the vehicles themselves. Still, I'd prefer to keep the two settings separate, if only to prevent tonal whiplash.

WhiteFangofWar said:
The Lost Vikings. Blizzard apparently cares enough to give it cameos and references in both Warcraft and Starcraft as well as hire Gilbert Gottfried and Jim Cummings to voice the PC remake, but not enough to ever give us a third game. Probably because they know there would be pressure to make it 3D, which might not work with its style of puzzle-platforming.
I think it might be more due to the fact that a lot of Blizzard's focus is on multiplayer, and hasn't had a singleplayer-only game since Lost Vikings 2. There's also the idea of them focusing development on a small number of key games and keep releasing content for them. Lost Vikings doesn't really fit in with that model. Which is a bit of a shame I guess, but hey, they are in HotS...

Happyninja42 said:
Homeworld. I lub me some Homeworld, it's probably in my top 5 games of all time, at the very least the top 10 for sure. Few games have triggered so many emotional responses from me in such a short time, as the first Homeworld game. And then Homeworld: Cataclysm came out, and did it even better. Homeworld 2 was...meh, frankly disappointing, but I still enjoyed it to some degree. I want more in this universe, more more more.
Doesn't Deserts of Kharak count? I know it's a prequel, but my understanding was that it more or less revived the series.
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm personally of the opinion that, with the exception of Metroid Prime and possibly Zero Mission (which is a remake anyway), the series should've stopped after Super Metroid. Basically what I'm saying is I didn't like Fusion.
Yeah...I can't see that working well. Granted, Fusion is my favorite Metroid game, but if the series had stopped with Super Metroid, I imagine people would be clamouring for a continuation. Super Metroid does cap off its own game, and arguably its own trilogy (rise and demise of the metroids), but Fusion feels like far more of a book-ender. IMO, Super Metroid is to Halo 3 what Fusion is to Halo: Reach - the trilogy ender vs. the series ender.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I want my Fable back.
Peter Molyneux(sp?) was the poster child for "Overhype" back in his day but I enjoyed all the games for different reasons.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hawki said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm personally of the opinion that, with the exception of Metroid Prime and possibly Zero Mission (which is a remake anyway), the series should've stopped after Super Metroid. Basically what I'm saying is I didn't like Fusion.
Yeah...I can't see that working well. Granted, Fusion is my favorite Metroid game, but if the series had stopped with Super Metroid, I imagine people would be clamouring for a continuation. Super Metroid does cap off its own game, and arguably its own trilogy (rise and demise of the metroids), but Fusion feels like far more of a book-ender. IMO, Super Metroid is to Halo 3 what Fusion is to Halo: Reach - the trilogy ender vs. the series ender.
Series ender? Fusion had to contrive a new threat just to exist, not that the idea of a threat greater than the Metroids is a bad one even if the name is unimaginative. However Metroid Fusion gave Samus the stupid technicolour suit, the explanation for which I don't buy for a second. Also at one point it's mentioned that there are probably several dozen SA-Xs running around. Ok I'll buy that the X could duplicate Samus' biology multiple times, but how the FUCK could they duplicate her suit. Also we were never given an explanation as to why the Federation has Ridley's corpse in the freezer. When I first discovered that I expected it to be a plot point, but nope, he's just there for the customary Ridley boss fight and is never mentioned again. Actually he's never mentioned PERIOD. Also it was way too linear for a Metroid game. Adam would tell you where you had to go and you went there and there was very little wiggle room.
And finally, why the fuck was the final boss a Metroid? They introduced this incredible new threat that required an Earth Shattering KABOOM in order to ensure the galaxy's safety from, but our final fight is against the old threat? Why? Why couldn't the SA-X be the final boss fight? The Omega Metroid came right the fuck out of nowhere.

...sorry, I kinda went off on a rant there.