Franchises You Want Revived

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hawki said:
Canadamus Prime said:
You could say that until you remember that in Meroid/Zero Mission and Metroid II Samus, as a Bounty Hunter, was hired by the Galactic Federation, but in Super Metroid she's doing everything of her own volition. It wasn't a "job" in Super Metroid. No one hired her to return to Zebes and attempt to recover the hatchling and destroy the Space Pirates.
None of that's false, but I'm not sure what your point is.
My point was you can't really say she "doesn't care" when she charges off to rescue the Metroid hatchling without the promise of a paycheck.
Hawki said:
Canadamus Prime said:
No. Just no.
Got a better explanation?
No, but my whole complaint was that the game didn't do anything with that potential plot point. Also do you really want to acknowledge anything from Other M?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Canadamus Prime said:
My point was you can't really say she "doesn't care" when she charges off to rescue the Metroid hatchling without the promise of a paycheck.
Didn't claim that she doesn't care, only that she doesn't engage in any reflection at the game's end.

Canadamus Prime said:
No, but my whole complaint was that the game didn't do anything with that potential plot point. Also do you really want to acknowledge anything from Other M?
I'm reluctant to discuss Other M since I haven't played it, only watched it, and am aware of its controversial nature. But pretending an entry in a series doesn't exist is something I can't get behind, regardless of how bad that entry may be. And even if it's retroactive, Fusion acknowledges Other M regardless, so using Other M as a means to explain Ridley is hardly out of place.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
If I may interject on the whole "Other M" thing...

The only reason I ever wish to acknowledge Other Mess is that it creates a paradox within the Metroid canonical timeline. To start it off, it begins with Metroid Fusion. This game (so far as I know) is considered canon and happens WAY down the timeline in the Metroid universe, with Other M happening before Fusion. In the beginning of Metroid Fusion, one of Samus' internal dialogue cutscenes has her mention that this is the second time she has been directly under Federation command - the only other time being the events of Metroid 2. With Other M, this contradicts Fusion's story as Samus falls under Adam's command for a second time; a time she certainly would've remembered and counted by the time of Fusion's events.

So, even with Fusion acknowledging what happened to Adam in game, she would be under command for a total of 3 times, not two, with Other M's existence. Those times being Metroid 2, Fusion and Other M. Without Other M happening, there would be no paradox that would exist in the franchise.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Without looking at anyone else's posts:

-Timesplitters
-G-police
-Colony Wars
-Sierra City Builder series
-King Arthur series by neocore
-Spyro
-Wipeout
-Future Cop LAPD+the "strike" series in general
-Vagrant Story
-Breath of Fire
-Gex
-Dragon ball budokai (NOT tenkaichi)
-Grandia
-Bound by flame (though this can apply to just about any game made by Spiders, they are the absolute masters of making bioware like rpgs on a tight budget with many shortcomings yet with a potential for greatness that can't help but make you root for them and wish they had a big budget to play with)

Edit: after looking at others posts, it's pleasing to see i ain't the only one in wanting certain series back, breath of fire ftw

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
If I may interject on the whole "Other M" thing...

The only reason I ever wish to acknowledge Other Mess is that it creates a paradox within the Metroid canonical timeline. To start it off, it begins with Metroid Fusion. This game (so far as I know) is considered canon and happens WAY down the timeline in the Metroid universe, with Other M happening before Fusion. In the beginning of Metroid Fusion, one of Samus' internal dialogue cutscenes has her mention that this is the second time she has been directly under Federation command - the only other time being the events of Metroid 2. With Other M, this contradicts Fusion's story as Samus falls under Adam's command for a second time; a time she certainly would've remembered and counted by the time of Fusion's events.

So, even with Fusion acknowledging what happened to Adam in game, she would be under command for a total of 3 times, not two, with Other M's existence. Those times being Metroid 2, Fusion and Other M. Without Other M happening, there would be no paradox that would exist in the franchise.
Wait, why does Metroid 2 count? Isn't a case of Samus being given a mission with carte blanche as to how to approach it? Just like Zero Mission, Hunters, Echoes...I would think Corruption counts, I guess.

But that said, I think people are looking way too much into these lines, both within Other M ("it was the first joint mission I'd undertaken since becoming a freelance bounty hunter") and, in this case, Fusion. Yes, they're plotholes, but plotholes happen over time.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Does Half Life count? What about Knights of the Old Republic? And Rise of Nations? Those are my answers.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hawki said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Didn't claim that she doesn't care, only that she doesn't engage in any reflection at the game's end.
True, but the story of the Metroids was effectively over given that they were effectively extinct. So some contrivances were required for sequels at that point.

Hawki said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I'm reluctant to discuss Other M since I haven't played it, only watched it, and am aware of its controversial nature. But pretending an entry in a series doesn't exist is something I can't get behind, regardless of how bad that entry may be. And even if it's retroactive, Fusion acknowledges Other M regardless, so using Other M as a means to explain Ridley is hardly out of place.
I don't pretend it doesn't exist because that would be stupid. I just file it under discontinuity.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
In no particular order;

Darkstalkers
Oni
(An old Bungie-Rockstar game that was pretty awesome and very GitS-inspired)
Chromehounds
Armored Core
Jade Empire

Zaltys

Apr 26, 2012
Star Control and Starflight.
Story-based scifi space exploration/trading. When was the last time we got anything like that? There's been too much focus on planetary survival and hard science fiction lately, if you ask me.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
Saltyk said:
OT: Anyway, if it hasn't been mentioned, I'd love to see the Suikoden franchise come back. That's basically impossible since Konami is Konami and Konami is the worst, but I'd still love to see Suikoden VI.

Definitely this, but I'd really love it if they went back to whatever the hell made Suikoden II so great and stuck with that.

For my big pick though I'd love to see Jade Cocoon come back, and ignore the travesty of it's sequel. Jade Cocoon was perhaps the only Mons style game I can think of that really felt mature and had a well nuanced story and interesting setting. I'd love to see that come back. The battles were fun, the monster combining aspect was great, the setting was great, the environments were (for the time at least) gorgeous to look at, and it had an awesome story. We can drop the awkward REII Tank controls for movement, but I'd love to see a Mons game like this again. The sequel felt too much like a Digimon rip-off and the story was tailored to fit the weird gameplay and not vice versa, it wasn't very well constructed in my opinion, though I admittedly only played it for a few hours.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Burnout. Why, EA? Why? Need for speed is NOT the superior IP and it needs to bugger off and die. And no game since has bothered to improve or even match the damage physics for the main vehicles. Damnit, slow motion car destruction is important for some reason probably related to personal arousal! You can't water it down and throw it in NFS. Well, you can, you did, but it's shit and you know it's shit. Gimme crushed metal!

Also, Darksiders. But who knows what the future holds in that regard.

Maybe Perfect Dark. But not the style of the sequel. Hell, id pay for a modernisation of the original game's content.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Not many people have heard of it, which plays a pretty long way into why it died out so long ago, but if some random stranger ever gave me a billion dollars, one of the first things I'd wanna do with it is bankroll a new "Growlanser" game. Tragically underrated JRPG with one of the best silent protagonist systems I've ever seen (Basically, every dialogue option gives 4-6 options, and the game keeps track of the personality you establish for the character along along multiple vertices, and changed the expression of his in-game portrait, and the way other characters react to him, appropriately) and a distinct art style that is best summed up as "the distillment of all 90s anime art styles"

I'd also love to see a follow up to "Resonance of Fate", another tragically underrated JRPG, this time from the PS3/360 era that tried to be interesting with its clockpunk style and gun-based combat, but lost some following due to its plot being a bit convoluted.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Zaltys said:
Star Control and Starflight.
Story-based scifi space exploration/trading. When was the last time we got anything like that? There's been too much focus on planetary survival and hard science fiction lately, if you ask me.
Time to be happy or said depending on your outlook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ntg47q_cM

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Saltyk said:
What ever happened to Capcom's plans to further kill the franchise with a Cellphone based MMO or something? Did they ever release that? Or was the threat enough to punish fans?
No, it got released... sadly enough. You can look it up, but don't say I didn't warn you.

I'd enjoy a revival of Breath of Fire myself, but that's obviously not happening now. Ditto for Wild Arms, only slightly more hopeful that the only well-known 'Wild West JRPG' might someday make a comeback. I enjoyed the third game the most.

While I'm on about wrongfully forgotten or abused RPGs, Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre hasn't had a new release in fifteen years. Probably the only game to compete with Chrono Trigger for most variety of endings, though the conditions for some of those are dependent on your character's chosen gender (can't marry the heir to the throne if you're a guy, but you can become his top general).